Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hasidic fedoras

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
Where can I find a pinch crease fedora like I see Hasidic men wear?Most of them I see have a 3"-3 1/2" brim.Black is fine,but a dark to medium gray would be more interesting.

pgoat

One Too Many
You probably want a Borsalino (seyata model), many sites sell them. Bencraft (one of the FL sponsors), in Brooklyn, has great prices on Borsalinos.

I just sold two of these hats (one a Borsalino) on ebay but the winner is not paying thus far (groan!). If you are a size 7 or so and interested in a used hat(s), I can work out a deal with you for cheap. I am emailing him today and If I don't get the money in the next day or so (It's been a few weeks already) I planned to relist anyway.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hiya,

A wide-brimmed black Borsalino would work. For a less pricey variant, you could get a wide-brimmed black H?ºckel. If you want a shtreimel, you'll probably have to have it made for you.

In the NYC area, there are a bunch of hat shops that specifically cater to Hasidic/Haredi Jews. None of them sell on the Net, as far as I know.

A couple of Net shops do sell wide-brimmed black fedoras. The best of the lot is Aharon's Milechai, in Denver (www.milechai.com). The H?ºckel I bought from them came through Monsey Milan Warehouse, northwest of Yonkers, near the Pennsylvania border. Nice hat.

Cheers,
Mark

Mick

New in Town
Mark,

Just a belated thanks for posting this. I bought my first ever new hat based on a web search that eventually led me to this post. Like yours, it's a Huckel from Monsey Milan, via Milechai, and I absolutely love it.

(And also thanks to the mods of this forum. I'm having great fun reading through past posts.)

Cheers,
Mick

tandmark said:
A couple of Net shops do sell wide-brimmed black fedoras. The best of the lot is Aharon's Milechai, in Denver (www.milechai.com). The H?ºckel I bought from them came through Monsey Milan Warehouse, northwest of Yonkers, near the Pennsylvania border. Nice hat.

Cheers,
Mark

Will Morgan

Vendor
The Squatter by Akubra might suit your bill, or brim rather, and it comes in Gray as well as Black...

Akubra Squatter

Click on the 'more images' tab to see it in gray.

The hat is sold open crown, or unbashed / uncreased, but as others here will tell you creasing is fun and easy, we have a page of instructions here:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/bashinghat.html

Unfortunately we don't currently have any Akubra dealers in Oklahoma but if you travel much check here to try one on in person:

http://akubra-usa.com/ak_akubra_dealers.html

jpbales

Practically Family
one of these hats??

800px-MishkenoisHaRoim01.jpg

haha j/k

Naphtali

Practically Family
Among Jews who wear fedoras as head cover, as opposed to those who wear Russian/Polish/Ukranian-style fur caps, is there any religious reason to wear somber colors -- black, charcoal gray, dark gray -- as opposed to tan, ecru, brown, sage green? I specifically do not accept "customary colors" as a religious reason. To me a head cover is a head cover.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hello,

Mick, glad you found my little post to be of some help.

Have you figured out how to use the wind trolley yet? That's the button and cord contraption that's mostly hidden by the hat band. The idea is that you put the button into the buttonhole of a suit, and the cord keeps the hat from blowing away in the wind.

Milechai ships their hats with plastic protective covers. I've seen people put these on their hats to protect them from rain damage, even though fur felt is nicely water-repellant.

RBH, thanks for the link to Amish and Mennonite hats. Someone a year or so ago posted that they'd had one or two of these, and that they were poorly made.

Are there any Fedora Loungers from Pennsylvania who'd care to weigh in on the quality of these hats?

Cheers,
Mark

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
black fedora

I am a pennsylvanian, but i am not familiar with the quality of the amish craft hats....i know that site though.

so, if you want a black hat to make yourself look like you are going off to synagogue, i'd say borsalino.

i have also seen selentino ( sp?) and a few other brands, but borsalino is the big one stateside.

so: http://www.bencrafthats.com/

http://www.hatalog.com/

these are the two retailers I am aware of that have a good supply online. A friend of mine bought his black hat at bencraft- looked sharp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112