• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

HAT ADORNMENTS: ribbons, bows, pins, pugs, leather, etc.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by job, Feb 14, 2012.

1. job

job One Too Many

I thought it would be nice to have a place to show the meany beautiful hat treatments there are. If there are names that are known for bows for example please include them.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Selfband
    [​IMG]
    Pug
    [​IMG]

2. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Top to bottom: 2 Resistol late 40s/early 50s, 1 Brent 1950s, 3 Borsalino 40s/50s, Mallory 1930s, Mallory 1950s, Stetson Standard 1930s, Stetson Special late 30s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Top to bottom: Stetson late 40s/early 50s, Disney 1950s, Adam 1950s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top to bottom: VS's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Backfolded bound brim on a Resistol mid 50s

[​IMG]

5. job

job One Too Many

WOW. The quality of work on the vintage hats is awesome let alone the customs. Great pics Rabbit.

6. Hoss & da Posse

Hoss & da Posse One of the Regulars

Perfect timing! I am in the process of ordering some ribbon and attempting to rework a hat that came to me w/o a ribbon/bow. This may give me ideas and examples...thanks! :)

7. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

No problem-o :)

For those who haven't had the chance to see a ribbon installation...

1930s frayed ribbon on a vintage Montecristi:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Fray:

[​IMG]

9. TipTop

TipTop Practically Family

How coincidental: I was just about to suggest or post a thread on UNIQUE hat bands--that is something beyond grosgrain in various folds and colors. The reason is that I am awaiting arrival of a sterling silver decorative band and need some guidance on how to mount and care for it. Here is the auction, and I am convinced that I stole it, simply based on pricing of any added silver conchos or ornaments from places like Ritch Rand, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260950429834?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Any experience with these is welcome. Thx.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  10. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

Since it's still Tumwater Tuesday, my TumH2O ribbons...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of my custom hats, Art's ribbons are the most elegant, Tony's are the more "in yer face" flamboyant.

11. bond

bond My Mail is Forwarded Here

Nothing subdued about those D.Nice though.
    Rabbit I recognize that Mocha Brown Borsalino! that was one of my favorites for sure.

12. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

Leather

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Have two of these types of bands, above. Seemed to be Commonwealth countries civil service/ranger type. Both have been Canadian Stetsons, fwiw. Very much to my liking.

Also recently came into a couple of these, [​IMG]

tho' I do not think I am meant to. I wear them upside down & backwards to avoid confusion.

[​IMG]
    I want one of these. I wonder if'n you might be able to cut it straight down the center & have two? [huh]

also have a couple of NDN seed bead bands and a couple more leather w/ conchos. And I have taken the leather chin strap from trooper hats, it makes a dandy 3/8" thin leather ribbon- very Open Road/Bear Creek/Moose River-ish.

FYI- Kids leather western belts for .50 a pop from the Goodwill or Sally-Ann can also work GREAT!

13. TipTop

TipTop Practically Family

I like leather bands and have a hand-tooled one on a new Ritch Rand (avatar) that is very handsome. There are a couple of Stetson "Revengers" on ePrey right now that have about 1-inch tooled bands. What is the last deep, double-buckle band? Looks like a misplaced weightlifter's wrist brace!

14. Rick Blaine

A Matt Damon as Texas Ranger

[​IMG]

LaBoeuf, in True Grit, repro.

I may still cut one in half. I like it.

15. Ray, that's quite the interesting piece of workmanship. Unusual to say the least. What hat will it adorn?

16. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  18. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

All great so far! Any nomenclature to go with these bow styles? I love the look of that tooled leather, too.

Here's one of my favorite little subtleties, from a Lee Overbrook:
    [​IMG]

And why not include these:
    [​IMG]

I made this one in the choker style (with real sinew!), but it's very heavy and a bit bulky so I don't keep it on regularly. I used buffalo bone beads (stained by submerging them in coffee), turquoise, and small wood and nickel beads. The back has a scrap leather tie.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  19. Rick Blaine

Pug on felt

...as seen on my STEVENS ROYALIST

[​IMG]

20. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

I sold this hat quite awhile ago, but was in love with the feather, and so saved the photo.
    [​IMG]

conchos, anyone? Or are these just studs?
    [​IMG]

faded old pug.
    [​IMG]

blue and yellow feather, since removed.
    [​IMG]

This feather stays in:
    [​IMG]