Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and moths!

Warlock

Suspended
Hats and moths! Never the twain shouild meet, hopefully. But... I have a Borsolino Rodolpho that was visited by such a picnicker to the detriment of that hat. It was in a box. The hats I most commonly wear sit on top of book shelves in my office with the fore of the brim hanging over. My few vintage hats are similarly displayed. I ask your advice on moth prevention and safe hat storage, please.

Does anyone know how likely it is that a moth will feast on an openly displayed hat? Or how much damage they can do at a sitting?

Warlock said:
Hats and moths! Never the twain shouild meet, hopefully. But... I have a Borsolino Rodolpho that was visited by such a picnicker to the detriment of that hat. It was in a box. The hats I most commonly wear sit on top of book shelves in my office with the fore of the brim hanging over. My few vintage hats are similarly displayed. I ask your advice on moth prevention and safe hat storage, please.

Does anyone know how likely it is that a moth will feast on an openly displayed hat? Or how much damage they can do at a sitting?

I store all my hats in the box after they come off my head. There is just no better way to keep them moth free. Out in the open they are subject to infestation. How much depends on where you are, the weather and previous incidences with moths in the house.
In the box, I put three of four moth balls in the box with the hat to make sure the defense is complete. ;)

Regards,

J

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Also if where you keep the hats, lets say a hall or bedroom closet, is cedar line that tends to keep the little fritters at bay along with the moth balls. If you can, find or make hat stands out of cedar as well. Hope that this helps.

Cheers!

Dan

you won't get anything other than a pre-existing moth if the hat is in a lighted area. Also, keep moving them about - the blighters don't like the disturbance.

They LOVE wardrobes.

Moths aren't nearly the issue they used to be. With the introduction of the synthetic fibres and modern air conditioned homes, i suspect we're speeding them on the way to extinction.

bk

MattJH

One Too Many
I was going to say -- I can't remember the last time I've even seen a moth. I keep my hats all over the place. If they came with a box, they're kept in the box, but the rest are on bedposts, on closet shelves, etc. Never had a problem where I live.

I actually can't remember the last time I've seen mothballs for sale, come to think of it.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
NO moths in New Jersey?

boy, that industry is better than I thought Dumbjaw!! We are officially in Moth Season here in the woods. Thousands of them..it's amazing. I "bomb" the hat shop once a month now till November, we breed the things here.:D

note to self, next moth shipment to New Jersy,,,why should they not have the pleasure...

Surely you don't get clothes-eating moths living in the woods there.

The ones most people mistake for clothes moths are parlour moths. If you see little moths with dark wings with lighter tips and fuzzy tips check your grains and flours. I've had this heart attack, i don't wish anyone else to have it. Be sure to check your grains and flour before you flip out and think you've got clothes moths.

bk

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
lol lol lol lol

We have so many not only in number but in varieties BK we have to tie the cows down to keep them from being unwillingly airlifted!!! :D

I honestly don't know what the varieties are but just the thought of having my shop infiltrated keeps me up at night. I plastic bag all felts INSIDE plastic bins with secure tops. Since I have several hundred bodies on hand it could spell financial ruin if Im not careful.
Warlock, I'm sorry to not address your original question but with the answers given already I can't add anything, just affirm the suggestions.

Warlock

Suspended
Thank you, gentlemen. I am in woods like Mr. Fawcett and we have an abundance of insect life, including moths large and small. I have no clue which are eating what. I think I may follow his lead and just bomb the place once a month. By the way, I must have one of the wierdest hat damage stories. Thankfully it was an old Tilley and it just added to its character. I tossed it in the back of a seat. My daughter came in and sat down. When she moved the chair back, my parrot reached through the bars and decided the brim was a chew toy. In the ensuing tug of war my daughter and the parrot both claimed victory. The hat never said a mumbing word.

Again, thanks to all.

Art Fawcett said:
lol lol lol lol

We have so many not only in number but in varieties BK we have to tie the cows down to keep them from being unwillingly airlifted!!! :D

I honestly don't know what the varieties are but just the thought of having my shop infiltrated keeps me up at night. I plastic bag all felts INSIDE plastic bins with secure tops. Since I have several hundred bodies on hand it could spell financial ruin if Im not careful.
Warlock, I'm sorry to not address your original question but with the answers given already I can't add anything, just affirm the suggestions.

Gee, I though the moth was the state bird here. It sounds like it is your mascot there. ;) :p

Regards,

J

Topper

Vendor
Actually Moths are not the problem... An often misunderstood concept.

It is in fact the larvae , not the moths that damage ( or eat!) fabrics ( A lot of older silk hats hats i've seen are nearly always damaged).

Moth Balls can be a bit chemical biased for my likes, so I use "cedar balls" and revive them every few months. Whilst they do not kill moths, the scent merely discourages them, thus reducing the chance of staying around using the hat as a breeding ground.

Even keeping the hat in a good box is helpful - as moths cant get in!lol ( though can also keep them in - eating away- if you trap one inside that then lays lavae :eek: )

Topper said:
Actually Moths are not the problem... An often misunderstood concept.

It is in fact the larvae , not the moths that damage ( or eat!) fabrics ( A lot of older silk hats hats i've seed are nearly always damage).

Moth Balls can be a bit chemical biased for my likes, so I use "cedar balls" and revive them every few months. Whilst they do not kill moths, the scent merely discourages them, thus reducting the chance of staying around using the hat as a breeding ground.

Even keep in the the hat is a good box is helpful - as moths cant get in!lol ( though can also keep them in - eating away- if you trap one inside that then lays lavae :eek: )

Quite true it is the larvae that richly deserve killing. :D

Davidson

One of the Regulars
OK, help a rookie who has the problem

Well, I admit it - we have moths during parts of the year, the wool-eating kind, and have had some nasty clothing damage. Garment bags work to prevent that. As I have started a hat collection, I really need solutions for hats. I don't think a standard cardboard hat box, even with cedar inside, is trustworthy enough. I tried the recommended clearish "sweater boxes" from Container Store, but they aren't big enough.

I want something that gives easy access to a dozen hats while providing moth / moth larvae (and silverfish, etc) protection. Hints? Custom-built hat storage and display cabinet? I've really seen nothing on the market that addressed this.

Oh dear, do mice eat fur felt?:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points