• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Hat bands and feathers

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Historyteach24, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Just looking for a good website that has some choices of hat bands and feathers. Is the bay good for such things?
  2. HeyMoe

HeyMoe Practically Family

Here is a link on how to make your own hatband if you are inclinded to do so:

It's actually really easy - the only thing not mentioned is how to get a curve in the grosgrain so it matches the hat. What I do is cut the ribbon to length and place it under a hot iron. Press down with the iron and grasp one corner of the ribbon and pull. Doing this will cause a nice arc in the ribbon.
  3. Neophyte

Neophyte My Mail is Forwarded Here

DavidMorgan sells puggarres (sp?) and feathers in their Hat Accessories page. The feathers come as a pack, though, and you've no say over the style or colors. They're cheap, though. Good luck!
  4. HeyMoe

personally I have never been a fan of feathers, wonder how popular they are here on the FL?
  5. I love my pork pie with a nice red feather in it. Just my personal preference as you know I by no means wear expensive hats but I think a feather and a nice band that matches the outfit gives a touch of class.
  6. HeyMoe

Good point teach
  7. Neophyte

I agree. Two instances that have proven this to me are a fellow Lounger's brown Campdraft with a small red feather and a black porkpie with an antique playing card behind the band. I loved the look of both, and the latter is the inspiration for my latest custom hat idea.
  8. Mobile Vulgus

Mobile Vulgus One Too Many

First thing I do before I even try it on is get rid of the feather.
  9. Neophyte

lol Ya mean like Knudsen Hat's "Jeb Stewart"? lol:

10. All feathers that came on any of my hats are in a box in the attic...
  11. Wanna ship em to me? lol
    Neophyte How did you know my next hat purchase?! lol
  12. I'll see what I have next time up there & let you know...probably won't cost but a stamp to mail since they are .......wait for it.....Lite as a Feather!!!!

Sorry about that....just couldn't stop myself....
  13. azhiker

azhiker One of the Regulars

Oh my, well I wear feathers sometimes, but it seems they are a 'regional' item. I was told by my hatter here in Detroit that 90% of the customers here wear feathrs in their hats. I like a good neutral feather, but my wife scoured up one for each color of the rainbow when I bought my Biltmore Astair. She is more a fan of them than I am. IM me withyour address, I can give ya 4-5 of different colors!
  14. Send me an address and I'll throw some feathers your way.
  15. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

That rocks! ;)
  16. Yea honestly you guys are the best, I am super glad I found this forum.
  17. fmw

fmw One Too Many

He'll do it, too. He sent me a small collection of hat bands to update my Panama. Three cheers for Bob.
  18. HeyMoe

Same here.....
  19. Over the years, Ive had feathers in the hats, and feathers off the hats. I just looked, and currently, none of my hats have feathers. And theyll probably stay that way.
  20. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

I agree with you.