Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat boxes for chaps

bloc

One of the Regulars
image.jpeg

Good afternoon all. I've got some boxes that I think will work well for my men's hats but I am wondering whether I should put "strings" on them. The hat boxes I use for my millinery are the usual black and white striped hectagonal ones with black cords to allow the ladies to carry them out. The men's boxes are square brown Kraft card. The question is, should they have cords too? I can easily punch in holes and use some paracord. But is it a bit girly? My feeling is no strings attached , is that more traditional? Your opinions very welcome. It's a small thing, but it's all about the detail.

Here is a late 1920s German box with a strap.

16103841974_88c2b3dbc7_b.jpg

16103837254_c607603f0d_b.jpg

I personally don't have an old men's hat boxes with cords but I don't see any problem using a cord for the men's square box you posted above. Here is modern example although the box itself is lacking (not rigid enough).

27644871045_0c59ec08fc_b.jpg

At first, I was thinking, "Why would I want to put my chaps in a hat box?" Then I remembered I don't own any chaps. Then I read the thread.

I have old hat boxes with strings, leather straps, and canvas straps. I like the straps better but, like the inserts, they don't always seem to have survived. And I don't think a string is "unmanly."

My favorites these days are the kind that have the little plastic carry handles. Like this:

HA_08_Aussie_Hat_Box.jpg

RJR

At first, I was thinking, "Why would I want to put my chaps in a hat box?" Then I remembered I don't own any chaps. Then I read the thread.

I have old hat boxes with strings, leather straps, and canvas straps. I like the straps better but, like the inserts, they don't always seem to have survived. And I don't think a string is "unmanly."

My favorites these days are the kind that have the little plastic carry handles. Like this:

View attachment 51492
+1

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

View attachment 51492

I have a "Chap", but he is not yet ready to go into a "box"...haha!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
View attachment 51484

Good afternoon all. I've got some boxes that I think will work well for my men's hats but I am wondering whether I should put "strings" on them. The hat boxes I use for my millinery are the usual black and white striped hectagonal ones with black cords to allow the ladies to carry them out. The men's boxes are square brown Kraft card. The question is, should they have cords too? I can easily punch in holes and use some paracord. But is it a bit girly? My feeling is no strings attached , is that more traditional? Your opinions very welcome. It's a small thing, but it's all about the detail.

Being able to close a box down while a hat is being stored in the box or transported in my opinion, is a good thing. I have had to repair some hat boxes that have had either a cord or a strap, as both have "pulled through" the inside of the box and then not being able to be attached any more. So a good suggestion would be to make some sort of extra material around the area where you would plan to have a hole for the cord to come through the side of the box itself. That way the area will be stronger and not pull through so easily. One suggestion I would have is maybe find some thin plastic, something similar to the plastic of a laundry bottle of soap, as to how thin the plastic could be, use some contact cement like Barge All Purpose Cement, and glue that plastic made in about a one inch square right on the area where you want to make the hole, punch the hole in the plastic before you glue it, then it would put some strength into the side of the box helping from the cord pull through. That is my "repair" for hat boxes I already have here that some cord or strap has pulled through the side of the plastic.

If you are going to market those boxes, please do let us know! I am sure interested depending on the sizes of the box itself. Thank you so very much!

EstherWeis

Vendor
The ones I use are square large ones that you can unfold and store easily.
They have a cross in the middle that holds up said hat in transport or can be used to store 4 smaller hats.

It has a string handle on one side.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 51484

Practicality outweighs gender issues. Strings are fine. Anybody that has issues with gender identity should seek help...

bloc

One of the Regulars
Thank you for all the comments. Good to hear that the chaps (that is the menfolk, not the slightly raunchy cowboy trouser type things) are all secure enough in their manhood not to worry about the girliness of strings. I'll weigh up the options :)

bloc

One of the Regulars
Being able to close a box down while a hat is being stored in the box or transported in my opinion, is a good thing. I have had to repair some hat boxes that have had either a cord or a strap, as both have "pulled through" the inside of the box and then not being able to be attached any more. So a good suggestion would be to make some sort of extra material around the area where you would plan to have a hole for the cord to come through the side of the box itself. That way the area will be stronger and not pull through so easily. One suggestion I would have is maybe find some thin plastic, something similar to the plastic of a laundry bottle of soap, as to how thin the plastic could be, use some contact cement like Barge All Purpose Cement, and glue that plastic made in about a one inch square right on the area where you want to make the hole, punch the hole in the plastic before you glue it, then it would put some strength into the side of the box helping from the cord pull through. That is my "repair" for hat boxes I already have here that some cord or strap has pulled through the side of the plastic.

If you are going to market those boxes, please do let us know! I am sure interested depending on the sizes of the box itself. Thank you so very much!

Thanks for the ideas re strengthening the boxes. All good stuff!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks for the ideas re strengthening the boxes. All good stuff!
You would only need to do that on the inside and at the area where you would place the hole for string/ribbon to be put through the cardboard. Any thin tid bit of plastic should work.

bloc

One of the Regulars
image.jpeg
Slight change of plan. Having these manufactured. They need a little tweaking and will have my logo on the side but I'm pleased with the design. I think they will work well. Any comments will be appreciated :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk