Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat lining gold logo

Magnus

New in Town
Hello hat enthisiasts.

I have a question that I've been searching like mad to find answers to.

How is the gold logo in hat linings made?

Borsalino70sBrownFedora5_grande.jpg

I know that on the leather sweatbands hot foil stamping is used. But can't find any knowledge about the linings.

Hope someone have the answer.

Magnus

New in Town
As far as I know it's done by foil & sublimation printing, not sure if screen printing is used.

Maybe sublimation printing could be a solution. But I'm thinking it would be to difficult to get all the small details in the print?

hatlinerman

Vendor
A little late in replying ; but here goes. The Borsalino sample you are using as an example was FOIL STAMPED. Stamping is much different than sublimation which I will discuss later. Most STAMPING is done on a "clam shell" press. You can get an idea of this concept by placing your hands together in front of you and then while keeping the base of your palms together, open and close your hands. Now, picture the satin tip attached to your left hand and a metallic stamping plate with the image of BORSALINO attached to your right hand. All the copy that reads BORSALINO is raised. Now picture that a foil runs between your 2 hands and when your hands close, like the clam shell press, under heat and pressure, the image of BORSALINO is transfered to the satin tip. These foils come on rolls and actually have many layers although they are very thin. The first layer is just a polyester carrier, then there is a release coat which under heat melts and allows the foil to release from the carrier. Then come the metallic and color coats and finally the adhesive. When the clam shell closes , it prints and when it opens again, it pulls the foil away from the satin tip. If this all is interesting to the forum, please post and I will then be happy to discuss sublimation.

-30-

A-List Customer
"If this all is interesting to the forum, please post and I will then be happy to discuss sublimation."
hatlinerman.

YES! Yes! Yes! Let me bob in here for a Group Sublimation Education.

Regards,
J T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot