Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat look worn?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I usually put it in a small cage and don't feed it for a while. :D

I'm of the "wear the hell out of it" camp, myself. Unless you need to quickly distress something for a performance or reenactment, I must confess the desire to artificially age a hat mystifies me.
agreed .... unless it is for a some sort of performance as you said or costume it all just seems very strange to me ... like pre ripped jeans and brand new concert shirts that are prefaded ... you did none of the work

almost like walking around with a fake beard like ... "hey what's up guys ? .... yeah ... grew this bad boy last night"

to each their own of course ... I just can't get down with it

Last edited:
I've enjoyed this thread. Most of us posting have bought vintage, distressed hats and done our damndest to get them back in as good a shape possible by replacing ribbons, sweats, naphtha baths or sending them to our favorite hatter for refurbishing. Artificially distressing a good hat, just don't get it. Wear the damn thing.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I've enjoyed this thread. Most of us posting have bought vintage, distressed hats and done our damndest to get them back in as good a shape possible by replacing ribbons, sweats, naphtha baths or sending them to our favorite hatter for refurbishing. Artificially distressing a good hat, just don't get it. Wear the damn thing.
That is so true! :)

As a small kid I felt so envy, that my dad's shoes squeaked and his heels made a loud noise when he walked - that he had deep wrinkles in his forehead - and that his veins was so dark and clearly visible on his hands. Back then I thought those characteristics were defining a real (grownup) man. 55 years later I don't feel the same urge to look that "grownup"! :D

And don't forget, that a hat should fit the rest. Do you yourself look distressed? Your clothes? Your car? And how about your wife/girlfriend? Your kids and their clothing? Do you also here go for the "weathered" look? If not, your hat may look like a misplaced costume piece.

The mirror may very well show you John Wayne's spitting image. I'm pretty sure, your friends won't see that ;)

agreed .... unless it is for a some sort of performance as you said or costume it all just seems very strange to me ... like pre ripped jeans and brand new concert shirts that are prefaded ... you did none of the work

almost like walking around with a fake beard like ... "hey what's up guys ? .... yeah ... grew this bad boy last night"

to each their own of course ... I just can't get down with it

I will confess to having bought "pre-washed" jeans, though. But that's a comfort thing, more than a look thing.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

+1.

For me yard work, log splitting, lawn cutting, chores, a couple hikes with the dogs and my hats are "lived in." I live in them - the authentic me. Authenticity without being conspicuous.

How about some wear time? For me it is more fun than hat prep time.

Best, Eric -

Can I use sandpaper and which grade? Please people help me :)

OK, no more snark. What is the hat, and how do you want it to be distressed? Do you want it to look well worn (sweat marks?), dirty, what? Why sandpaper (incidentally, felt hats are normally sanded, or "pounced" as part of the production)? What are you trying to accomplish? And why? Is this for a specific type of need, such as a performance or reenactment?

The vid Moon posted prior covers a lot of "how to distress a hat."

One last note - I hope you're doing this with a new hat. If you're going to "distress" a vintage hat that has survived this long, I will hunt you, I will find you and I will...talk to you sternly!

Smoking_Cowboy

New in Town
So can I use sandpaper? I really want to look worn :D

20160827_162333-ec2080.jpg

You can do whatever you want. But I'm still not sure what you're shooting for. Think of it like this: what type of "wear" would sandpaper simulate? I have a lot of old hats, some that qualify as beaters. They can be misshapen, discolored, stained, dirty, etc. None look like they've had sandpaper taken to them. So again, what's your end goal?

Sent directly from my mind to yours

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
And don't forget, that a hat should fit the rest. Do you yourself look distressed? Your clothes? Your car? And how about your wife/girlfriend? Your kids and their clothing? Do you also here go for the "weathered" look? If not, your hat may look like a misplaced costume piece.

I didn't go for a weathered look, I just ended up with it. [emoji53]

I agree with the others, the best way for a hat to look worn is to go wear it.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

I would not use sandpaper if you do wish to do this

you basically want to probably apply something that will duplicate sweat stains and dirt accumulation ... logic tells me salt water and some diluted acrylic paint

I would be careful with that particular hat though ... it looks to be some cheap felt and could truly just end up being a destroyed unwearable hat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112