Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat repair in Boston?

French

Familiar Face
not Boston or Western MA, but New Haven, CT

Hi Kitty,

Perhaps your friend could contact DelMonico Hatters in New Haven, CT. It is my understanding they have a semi-retired hatmaker who makes custom hats. Perhaps he could re-block your friend's lid.

Their contact information is on this page: http://delmonicohatter.com/contact.htm

I hope this is helpful.

French

mineral

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Are there any recommendations for places in Boston that do this?

I have tried my hardest to find something in Boston, but have never succeeded. I was told by the only hat-only store I know of here that the nearest hat repair person is in Connecticut (perhaps the same person French was talking about?).

At any rate, is it even worth it to reblock a wool felt hat? With shipping, it might cost just as much to buy a new one?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I just moved from Boston. Not only is there an absence of people for repairs, its hard to find a decent hat shop at all!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

troy

One of the Regulars
Western Mass, CT area hat shop

Hi,

I know this thread is super old, but anyone in the Mass, CT area should know about the hat shop that played a major part of me becoming an everyday wearer. The Brim And Crown on White St. (at Sumner Ave) in Springfield, MA. The gentleman that owns the shop is Richard, and he is great.

The website for his shop is:
brimandcrown.com

Being new to hat wearing, I cannot judge his level of expertise, I only know he knows much more than I do!

I have bought two hats from him this summer, and I will definitely be going back once my bank account has forgiven me!

Wandering Fool

New in Town
Bobby from Boston update

Once again, I found myself in an airport waiting for one of my daughters to land. Last time in Montreal, this time in Boston. I read this thread before I went and decided to check out Bobby from Boston at 19 Thayer St. The closest T stop was on the red line, I believe Broadway.
Thayer St is a pedestrian st, and so if following a gps,it gets a little squirelly locating it.
Going in is like stepping into a gentlemens game room from th early part of the century. The was a rack of vintage leather coats, olive british work shirts with a henley style collar,vintage bow ties,three or four racks of vintage suits and sportcoats and much much more. It was a well cared for, well thought out store. They had about 25 fedora hats,some in very good condition and some needing work,primarily sweatband/liner issues. They had another display of bowlers and straw boaters.All vintage. Unfortunately, nothing in size melon head!
There was a young man dressed in a style that was kinda vintage/trendy young guy and even though I cannot put my finger on what look he was going for, it worked. As in my other reviews,my primary focus is customer service. When I saw this 20 something guy,I was prepared for the worst, but he dropped what he was doing and starting hunting and pulling the items I was looking for quickly and was very attentive. Impressive. Even though I did not purchase anything,he walked me out the door and provided me with directions to the T.
From what I have read on this forum,Iexpect many of you would spend hours in this place, pouring through its many offerings. The only reason I did not buy anything was that they did not have the sizes I needed. But for excellent service and a really great store a big thumbs up.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
There is indeed a hat shop in Boston!

It's called Salmagundi, and it is at the junction of Center St. and South St. in Jamica Plain. The #39 bus goes right by the place.

765 Centre St
(between Eliot St & Greenough Ave)
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
(617) 522-5047

Great store, lots of fun! They also have a few vintage ties and such.

marshack

New in Town
I wanted to second Subvet642's recommendation of Salmagundi in Jamaica Plan.

Massachusetts does not have many options for someone that wants to buy anything but a baseball hat, but Salmagundi has changed all that.

I bought my first two hats from them recently (a straw Stetson and another casual hat I can't remember the name of).

I have a size 7 3/4 hat size and require a tall crown. The individual there took the time to find the correct hats for me to choose from so I could make my decision.

He said that he can re-block my hat for me in the future and has a much larger selection of hats stored in his cellar so what you see in his display area is not all that is there.

I have been around the country looking for a hat store like this and have not found many like it.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are welcome. :)

Finding a place to buy a hat in Boston is actually the easy one, compared to my current task of trying to find someone in Boston who can repair my Borsalino ....
You could mail it to a hat shop that does work. Examples would be Greeley Hat Works in Colorado, probably Worth and Worth in New York. I don't know whether Delmonico Hatters in Connecticut does. Anyway, I have mailed out hat work with good results. Greeley is a good value, I can say, as I have sent hats there before.

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
You could mail it to a hat shop that does work. Examples would be Greeley Hat Works in Colorado, probably Worth and Worth in New York. I don't know whether Delmonico Hatters in Connecticut does. Anyway, I have mailed out hat work with good results. Greeley is a good value, I can say, as I have sent hats there before.

@ danofarlinton - Check out cleanahat.com. There is a gentlemen who runs it named Drew. He is held in very high regard in the industry. You will need to mail it to him, but he is the man for the job if it's a big one. Otherwise, Worth and Worth in New York I here does some fine work as well.
Cheers,
Jessen

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Boston blockers

I'm back to the Lounge after a long absence, but knew this was the best place for help.

I have a go-to Cuenca Brisa that has seen some great miles & held up well. On a recent vacation, I put the hat in the rental minivan in a place where I definitely wouldn't forget it as I unloaded…which I promptly did. The car company found and mailed the hat - in a box that was too small (that will teach me - at least I didn't take my Montecristi!). Now the brim is funky, the pinch is goofed up and the crown was squished down.

I was looking for a local hatter in the Boston area to salvage my topper & and found that "Salmagundi" in Jamaica Plain does blocking. Anyone have experience with them, or any other hatter in the area?

Thank you very much!

C-C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

facade

A-List Customer
I'm back to the Lounge after a long absence, but knew this was the best place for help.

I have a go-to Cuenca Brisa that has seen some great miles & held up well. On a recent vacation, I put the hat in the rental minivan in a place where I definitely wouldn't forget it as I unloaded…which I promptly did. The car company found and mailed the hat - in a box that was too small (that will teach me - at least I didn't take my Montecristi!). Now the brim is funky, the pinch is goofed up and the crown was squished down.

I was looking for a local hatter in the Boston area to salvage my topper & and found that "Salmagundi" in Jamaica Plain does blocking. Anyone have experience with them, or any other hatter in the area?

Thank you very much!

C-C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just had a few hats worked on by Salmagundi. The owner and staff are very friendly and love to talk hats. I was happy with the work they did for me. Worth a visit at least.

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
@ danofarlinton - Check out cleanahat.com. There is a gentlemen who runs it named Drew. He is held in very high regard in the industry. You will need to mail it to him, but he is the man for the job if it's a big one. Otherwise, Worth and Worth in New York I here does some fine work as well.
Cheers,
Jessen

Years later, since I made this comment, (and since this older post came to light I thought should update my comments) I wanted to say that I still stand by Worth and Worth for repair, blocking, cleaning and all things custom. Ask for Brendon over there if you are in the NY area. I hold Brandon in high regard and will stand by his work any day. Cleanahat.com; I cannot put my name behind, but I really don't know what they are up to as of recent. I do know I used them for about half a year before we made the investment time-wise and money-wise to do work in house and I saw a serious lack of consistency in their work. Also anytime you are shipping a hat that had work it can always translate into a problem and is always much better to do in person.
Since 2011 we have been cleaning and blocking hats in our own shop full time. Almost all the work is same day nowadays (except for weekends which are just too busy to do work same day). With the exception of deep clean and blocks which take two days (needing a day to dry). We offer new leather sweat service (only the finest leather), bound edges, brim cuts, and have roughly 80 blocks with flanges and have almost every size in each block and are fancy with handwork so nothing is out of the question to name a bit of it... We also stock hundreds of ribbons for re-bands (new and vintage) and can do the work in about a half hour/45 minutes depending on the job. I wouldn't go there like this but this whole post is outdated and I thought it needed some current thoughts and facts.
In the New England area (CT) I would also check out Delmonico Hatters who also does restoration work. I am unfamiliar with their work as far as hat restoration but the owner Ernie is a stand up guy and I could not imagine him doing any work that isn't good. As far as Brim and Crown, I think Richard is a Fine Gentlemen and has a great eye when buying although I don't believe he offers any hat services.
That's it for New England as far as the real deal my Fellow Loungers. Just wanted to chime in.
If your not dealing with the best with someone full of passion and someone who cares about the end result and the details needed to get there when you are having work done (who ever that may be): Then keep on walking!:D There is plenty of folks out there that want to do a good job and will.
Cheers!
Jessen

"Finding the right hat is like dating - you just know when it's right"

Also anytime you are shipping a hat that had work it can always translate into a problem and is always much better to do in person.
Since 2011 we have been cleaning and blocking hats in our own shop full time.

I respectfully beg to differ on this point, sir. Given the nearly limitless forms of communication today, there is absolutely no reason not to expand the geographic scope of resources. Unless you're a scared "Nervous Nellie." This ability not only helps to create more competition in pricing, etc., but also serves to enhance the quality of the service or product.

I'm glad you're doing a good job on your part to fire up the marketplace, Jessen. Thank you!

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
I respectfully beg to differ on this point, sir. Given the nearly limitless forms of communication today, there is absolutely no reason not to expand the geographic scope of resources. Unless you're a scared "Nervous Nellie." This ability not only helps to create more competition in pricing, etc., but also serves to enhance the quality of the service or product.

I'm glad you're doing a good job on your part to fire up the marketplace, Jessen. Thank you!

Good Point. However, Just to be clear on where I was coming from with my comment; I was specifically referring to hats being mishandled while being shipped. Also, the fact that 'if something isn't quite right' it has to go back to where ever it came from to get fixed rather than be able to be fixed on the spot.

Good to hear from you My Good Man, I knew I could count on you to comment in this post ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112