Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Stores In Washington DC

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a good hat store in DC????

Thanks for your help.....

Going to see buffett in Monasses this weekend, thought I would take a trip in town if there is a decent hat store,,,,,,

Ghost

Josephine

One Too Many
Me too! I'll be in a box seat, look for me! ;)

There have been a number of threads asking about DC hat shops, but I don't think we have very many around here. :(

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Very cool....its the lawn for me...............

cant believe there are no hat stores...bummer......

i guess it will be jello shooters and coronas then.....:)

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
No hat stores, but...

I'm nearby. Send me a PM, if you're going to be in the neighborhood.

Maybe we can arrange a tour of a treasure trove.

db5zx

Familiar Face
There is a very good hat store in "The Shops at Georgetown Park", a mall on M Street in the center of Georgetown.

It's called "The Hattery" and I got two hats there while living in DC two years ago. Very nice owner, lots of hats and good customer service.

http://www.shopsatgeorgetownpark.com/html/storedirectory.asp

I haven't been in DC since summer of 06, though, so it's probably a good idea to call them to make sure they still exist. You never know...

...Jens

Socrets

Familiar Face
db5zx said:
There is a very good hat store in "The Shops at Georgetown Park", a mall on M Street in the center of Georgetown.

It's called "The Hattery" and I got two hats there while living in DC two years ago. Very nice owner, lots of hats and good customer service.

http://www.shopsatgeorgetownpark.com/html/storedirectory.asp

I haven't been in DC since summer of 06, though, so it's probably a good idea to call them to make sure they still exist. You never know...

...Jens

The last time I checked, they did still exist and I believe I visited in either spring or fall '07.

Rider

Familiar Face
I'd call it mediocre at best as hat shops go. The last time I was in there, the only associate knew nothing about hats and didn't seem all that interested in retail merchandising either. I walked out empty-handed.

sfend002

Familiar Face
I have been to one in Annapolis Md, not too far from DC really and worth seeing. Its in the downtown area. Cant miss it.

db5zx

Familiar Face
I'd call it mediocre at best as hat shops go. The last time I was in there, the only associate knew nothing about hats and didn't seem all that interested in retail merchandising either. I walked out empty-handed.

That surprises me... Whenever I was there either the owner or his wife where present and very helpful and knowledgable. But, as I said, it has been over two years and things chance. Still, they have quite a selection and if you're in town it's a place I'd check out. Plus, it's in Georgetown, a very nice touristy area in DC, anyways...

Rider

Familiar Face
I had neither the owner or his wife. It was a late teenager/young adult staffing the store when I was there. I was also there in the midst of summer, off-season it seems. The young lady essentially told me to come back in the fall when people start buying fedoras, and they would have a better selection. It wasn't very useful advice for an out-of-town visitor hoping to take something home with him.

sfend002

Familiar Face
FWIW, DC is a different town in the summer than the fall and winter. The hordes of tourists make a big difference.

Looks like the hattery is still there over on M street. I may swing by next weekend if I can work it out. If I do I will report back post haste.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
A hatter in DC: Vincent Corvelli

There is a nice hat store in Silver Spring called Andrea's Fine Hats. They sell modern hats for reasonable prices. The phone number is 301-565-5000.

Even better: I've had occassion to meet a very cool old gent named Vincent Corvelli. Mr. Corvelli is an honest-to-God hatter who was trained by his father, who imigrated from Italy. His business is called American Hatters, and his number is 301-530-3364.

Mr. Corvelli has re-blocked a couple of hats that I kept for my personal use. He also does work for several of the local dry cleaners.

He is 80+, and he works out of his apartment. I dropped off my hats and told him about my project. When I returned, he was kind enough to show me his workshop. He has dozens of hat blocks, along with some of the vintage equipment from his father's workshop. He did an excellent job with my hats, and I learned quite a bit from him.

I'd recommend Mr. Corvelli to anyone in the area who is looking for a true hatter.

Glass Shark

New in Town
I work evenings in DC making pick-ups for a medical lab in Baltimore and, if I am in the area, will often stop at Andrea's Fine Hats. Very nice, friendly, and knowledgeable people there. I usually don't get to the Bethesda area so didn't know about American Hatters. I will make that a priority as I have a Barbisio that needs the non-reeded sweatband resown. Thanks for the information.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Howdy Neighbor!

Glass Shark said:
I will make that a priority as I have a Barbisio that needs the non-reeded sweatband resown. Thanks for the information.

Mr. Corvelli works out of his apartment, so give him a call before you drop by. I'm sure he would do a great job re-sewing the sweat. Not sure what he would charge to do that work, but he usually charges $35 for a clean a block, which seems very reasonable to me.

MikeS

New in Town
Here's a list from the internet yellow pages:

ESTELLA'S HATS II
2000 RHODE ISLAND AVE NE
WASHINGTON,DC 20018
(202) 269-6640

EXCLUSIVE HATS INC
529 14TH ST NW
WASHINGTON,DC 20045
(202) 628-5802

HATS IN THE BELFRY
1237 WISCONSIN AVE NW
WASHINGTON,DC 20007
(202) 342-2006

PROPER TOPPER INC
1350 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington,DC 20036
(202) 842-3055

BENE' MILLINERY & BRIDAL SUPLS
6217 3RD ST NW
WASHINGTON,DC 20011
(202) 722-0862

HATTERY
3222 M ST NW
WASHINGTON,DC 20007
(202) 364-4287

INCOGNITO
50 MASSACHUSETTS AVE NE
WASHINGTON,DC 20002
(202) 898-9090

LIDS
50 MASSACHUSETTS AVE NE # 135
WASHINGTON,DC 20002
(202) 589-0181

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Hats in the Belfry

This hat store is also located on Main Street near
the Annapolis Maryland city dock & another at
Harbour Place in Baltimore.

Probably have to know what your looking for,
but an option if you must try on before buying.

Solid Citizen :)

PS Also Hippodrome Hatters in Baltimore!

TPD166

One Too Many
Reviving an old thread because my father in law may be looking for someone locally to shape his new Campdraft (I offered for him to ship to me or walk him thru doing it himself, but he wants to go to a local hatter). Any suggestions in the DC, Northern VA area? I looked up The Hattery of Georgetown, but they had horrible reviews.

Honestly, Robert, I have searched high and low, and have not found anyone in the area that does this kind of work. For replacement sweats and cleanings, sadly, I send mine out of state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider