Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat tricks

corbinzean

New in Town
Does anyone do any cool tricks with their hats? Like throwing them across the room and having them land perfectly on a hat rack. Or flipping them through the air onto your head? Or rolling the hat down your arm and catching it?

Maybe these are childish things to do, but it seems like if I am wearing a hat every day, I should be able to put it on and take it off with a flourish of style.

Corbin

funneman

Practically Family
I can only do two.

1-you hold the hat upright by the back of the brim in your right hand. Thumb on top, fingers on bottom and with a flick of the wrist, spin it over once and drop it on your head..

2-slight variation of number one. Hold the hat upside down by the side of the brim in your right hand. Middle finger on top, index finger on bottom, Support the other side of the brim in your left hand. Then twist the fingers on your right hand, spinng the brim in the palm of your laft hand, while flipping the brim over into your index finger and thumb, then quick, plop it on your head.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
funneman said:
I can only do two.

1-you hold the hat upright by the back of the brim in your right hand. Thumb on top, fingers on bottom and with a flick of the wrist, spin it over once and drop it on your head..

2-slight variation of number one. Hold the hat upside down by the side of the brim in your right hand. Middle finger on top, index finger on bottom, Support the other side of the brim in your left hand. Then twist the fingers on your right hand, spinng the brim in the palm of your laft hand, while flipping the brim over into your index finger and thumb, then quick, plop it on your head.
Can you say U-Tube ? :D

oddlots

New in Town
I have a friend that used to be pretty handy with the hat tricks (though he's not a hat fan he has to wear his "cover" often due to his job), I'll see if I can get him to share some secrets with me next time I visit!

Here's another video that may be of interest. It doesn't really teach anything, but you may be able to pick up some ideas from it. Not to mention, it's a pretty interesting art piece!*

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9zbnXeH7M-U&mode=related&search=

*I have no affiliation with anyone involved in this video, but merely found it linked as "similar videos" while viewing the one previously posted in this thread :)

J.B.

Practically Family
funneman said:

Crimenently! I must be pathetic -- 'cuz that's the funniest shtick I've seen in a looooong time! :D

Why, I'd be the envy of all of my friends if I could just do those tricks! :p Trouble is, the only plug hat I own is so stiff that I'd hurt myself if it didn't land right?! :eusa_doh:

...OTOH, it can't be as painful as flipping a butterfly knife?! :eek:

Anders

One of the Regulars
I've been a juggler for several years, and ever since I've started wearing hats I've wanted to incorporate them into my other hobby. I'm afraid to throw most of my hats, but check these out. Most juggling suppliers sell similar items.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Strangely, I found this earlier today when I was Googling for something completely different.

Apologies if it has been posted before.

funneman

Practically Family
While I'm not in the habit of putting on impromptu street performances with my hats, I do enjoy being able to put it on my head from time to time with a bit of a dramatic flair.

However, I can't help but feel that the rough treatment involved can be harmful to the lid. I can almost feel the threads snapping away from the sweatband with every flip.

Also, flipping a hat with a wind trolley always meets with horrible results.

Beware.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I didn't really look at that site I linked to, but I -think- they use special hats for the purpose. I think they used to have some at a juggling club I went to when I was a kid. Those ones were basically made of plastic with a sort of fake felting on the surface; not designed to actually be worm, but just perform with.

But yes, I know I wouldn't want to throw my hat about like that. Unless I was trying to give it a distressed look. [huh]

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Secret hat trick lesson #1: "The Rakifier"

In case you want to lighten up a situation, but just can't pull the triple Rittberger yet, an easy thing: Grab your brolly in the middle and use the handle to tip your hat brim in the back/side from below to slant the hat.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I haven't looked at all of'em, but these seem to be worthwhile practicing (links connect to mpeg videos from the Tricks With Hats site):

The one
where you throw the hat up, catch it with the other hand, which is stretched up, and let it drop on yer 'ead. Always wanted to try that.

An elaborate, but not too difficult bow, for the Continentally inclined.

And this one's rather funny than something I'd do to my hats - a novel way of bashing a Coke hat that makes snap-brim Homburgs look routine.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Saw a juggler at camp. He wore a little stingy brim, did a trick where he balanced the thing on his nose during prop changes. Pretty cool looking.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
A major drawback is, of course, that all these tricks work best with a heavier hat and a brim that is as short as possible, not with "real" hats one actually wears. Aerodynamics or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points