Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatbox Homage

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Michaelshane said:
Rogers Peet....1930s.

P1040188.jpg
[/IMG]

Look at that box. It looks like it's just about given its life for that hat - and still has character. Fabulous.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Old Stetson

The Stetson Panama I wore today is housed in this much older Stetson box. It's a very plain box with lettering that reminds me of a deco influence but with nothing of the deco flamboyance. The logo is the pre 50's logo and I'm guessing this box belongs somewhere in the 30's or 40's. It's possible that the plain style may reflect the austerity of the War Years - but which War?

SDC10393.jpg
SDC10394.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Many thanks Sue,

Now that it fits perfectly, I've grown very fond of this old panama. It will be getting lots of work this summer.

Now...how about posting some pics in here of those hat boxes of yours? We don't yet have one of that double Borsalino box you picked up recently!

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Ephraim Tutt said:
Doesn't that box just scream Old West!? Brilliant
I got a Courtney off EBay that came with a similar box. The "wood grained" covering is totally faded and peeling from the box. The lid sides fell off. I was thinking of getting some wood grained paper and renovating the box to a useful look, keeping the front lettering original. Any thoughts?

I have a few other older boxes that have small holes, etc. I am considering lining them with a thin white cardstock or paper, and bracing up the holes. Anyone done this?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mayserwegener said:
Hückel Exklusiv Homburg Box with original hat.

3697132119_1661a3d267_b.jpg
Now that is cool. I take it the bands holding the hat are
elastic, like a wind trolley? I may have to make something like that...

feltfan said:
Now that is cool. I take it the bands holding the hat are
elastic, like a wind trolley? I may have to make something like that...

Yes they are elastic and still work perfectly. The hat held in place during over seas shipping. The top is lightly padded.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
That Old Dobbs box has arrived

Yep, it was delivered today. Apart from the rip in the lid it's in pretty good shape for a box that originated in the early years of the Dobbs factory. It appears to be made of some kind of papier mache and is very thick and solid. The lettering and shield on both sides is raised and coloured gold. It is entirely lined in satin or perhaps cotton, but age has rendered it as thin and fragile as paper.
The leather strap has broken off, as has the buckle. Both pieces are included.
All I need now is a box restorer...and a hat restorer (as you will discover in the Derby thread.

SDC10403.jpg
SDC10401.jpg
SDC10402.jpg
SDC10400.jpg
SDC10404.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Yep, it was delivered today. Apart from the rip in the lid it's in pretty good shape for a box that originated in the early years of the Dobbs factory. It appears to be made of some kind of papier mache and is very thick and solid. The lettering and shield on both sides is raised and coloured gold. It is entirely lined in satin or perhaps cotton, but age has rendered it as thin and fragile as paper.
The leather strap has broken off, as has the buckle. Both pieces are included.
All I need now is a box restorer...and a hat restorer (as you will discover in the Derby thread.

SDC10403.jpg
SDC10401.jpg
SDC10402.jpg
SDC10400.jpg
SDC10404.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Whippet Box

A few years ago, a Whippet box sold on eBay that was the nicest looking hat box ever. Black with very deco white running whippets on the sides. It brought $60+, just the box. But foolishly I didn't grab one of the auction pictures and I've never seen another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21