Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And pictures of A $17 hat imitating an Open Road

Inspired by the actual Open Road I now own, I was browsing through the local Burlington Coat Factory store and came across the men's hats section. I discovered that some of the hats were actually fur felt, albeit only $16.98 cents, and didn't have a maker's name, but did indicate they were made in the Czech Repuiblic. I'll bet they're made from squirrel fur or something, anyway I bought one that was very soft, a nice grey, and looked like a likely candidate for modification. It has a fabric sweatband and no liner, but other than that, I went for it. Got some 3/8" grosgrain, and proceeded to copy my Open Road bow, bash and all. Here's the result, and some fuzzy comparison shots, my friend had some trouble with his camera!

IMGP0129.jpg

IMGP0128.jpg

IMGP0124.jpg

IMGP0125.jpg

IMGP0122.jpg

dean

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is not a bad looking hat at all. Well done and great find.

I hope that Dalexs sees this post; he is a big fan of the Burlington Coat Factory hat, including the one in his avatar. He also wore one to our New York City event and it looked excellent.

Razzman

One Too Many
Great job, Deanglen! The hat looks great. Congratulations:eusa_clap Well, gotta run, and check out the Burlington Coat Factory here in town. :D

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Not to rain on your parade, you did do quite a beautiful job. However I want to point out that Burlington coat factory has been busted several times for selling items made from cat or dog fur. Now I know this might be culturally acceptable in some parts of the word, it’s not in mine. People might want to take heed when purchasing items from them in the future.

Feraud

Bartender
Vermifuge said:
However I want to point out that Burlington coat factory has been busted several times for selling items made from cat or dog fur. Now I know this might be culturally acceptable in some parts of the word, it’s not in mine. People might want to take heed when purchasing items from them in the future.
No kidding? Where are those fedoras made? I am curious to read a news article or two about it.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Vermifuge said:
I want to point out that Burlington coat factory has been busted several times for selling items made from cat or dog fur.

So, Dean...perhaps you need to rework the title of this thread. Maybe it should read: "And pictures of a $17 hat imitating a Whippet." lol

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Nice looking job Dean. I have only one issue and it doesn't involve the workmanship, only the crease. What you put in is a "diamond" or "4 point" depending in local jargon, and the original open road is more of a "teardrop" crease( when in fedora form, otherwise "cattlemans crease). I'm sure you are aware of it so my comment is more for the folks that don't know the difference.

deanglen

Vermifuge said:
Not to rain on your parade, you did do quite a beautiful job. However I want to point out that Burlington coat factory has been busted several times for selling items made from cat or dog fur. Now I know this might be culturally acceptable in some parts of the word, it’s not in mine. People might want to take heed when purchasing items from them in the future.

Meow you tell me! What can I do meow? Seriously, I didn't know that was the case. I certainly don't want to promote cruelty to animals. I will consider this in the future.

dean

deanglen

Art Fawcett said:
Nice looking job Dean. I have only one issue and it doesn't involve the workmanship, only the crease. What you put in is a "diamond" or "4 point" depending in local jargon, and the original open road is more of a "teardrop" crease( when in fedora form, otherwise "cattlemans crease). I'm sure you are aware of it so my comment is more for the folks that don't know the difference.

You know, Art, I didn't even consider the actual style of the crease when I did it, in relation to the Open Road. As I worked it, I just liked the way it looked. It came with a "teardrop" crease and for some reason I didn't like the lines of the crown, so rather spontaneously I sharpended the edges of the front bash, and pinched it tight pushing the "side dents" further back on the sides of the crown. The "diamond" shape seemed to emerge from what I started to do with the front. Thanks for your response, and I too, love your work! Maybe I'll send some work your way one day when my hat purchases return to to their former level.

dean

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
FYI I have only seen reports of this in regards to fur lined jackets, and rugs. Never seen one mention of hats, But I still don’t support the practice. My assumption is your hat is made from some sort of rodent like a rabbit. I’m about to head into work I’ll try and dig up a news article or two when i get there.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Very nice hat! Burlington is a great resource for those of us on a budget and not near a city with lots of good shops. It's where I got the hat in my avatar (wool felt, no liner, cloth sweatband, but still well built, and only about $20.) Until just a couple of months ago, it was the only place I could find "real" hats. (i.e. something other than baseball caps.) Sadly, it's still an hour long drive to get there.:(
Fortunately, we had an S&K Menswear open recently, and they also carry real hats, although it's a smaller selection, and the average price seems to be about $45. But, it's only about 10 minutes from my home! :)

Now, if someone would just open a real haberdashery around here. :D

-Jake

feltfan

It's easy to confirm on Google that Burlington Coat Factory used
dog fur in some of their products. But the source of that fur was
Asian (Mongolia and elsewhere) and was used on coats.
Deanglen's hat is from the Czech Republic and most likely
uses felt from one of the longtime felt makers
in that region.

Still, I wouldn't give a penny to Burlington Coat Factory myself.
I prefer beaver, nutria, and hare who have been dead for longer than
I have been alive.

BTW, nice job DG. Wonder if you can stretch out the crown
to make it a bit more full at the top? Sharp ribbon.

deanglen

Riposte3 said:
Very nice hat! Burlington is a great resource for those of us on a budget and not near a city with lots of good shops. It's where I got the hat in my avatar (wool felt, no liner, cloth sweatband, but still well built, and only about $20.) Until just a couple of months ago, it was the only place I could find "real" hats. (i.e. something other than baseball caps.) Sadly, it's still an hour long drive to get there.:(
Fortunately, we had an S&K Menswear open recently, and they also carry real hats, although it's a smaller selection, and the average price seems to be about $45. But, it's only about 10 minutes from my home! :)

Now, if someone would just open a real haberdashery around here. :D

-Jake

Hey Jake, can you post more shots of your hat? Looks great!

dean

deanglen

feltfan said:
It's easy to confirm on Google that Burlington Coat Factory used
dog fur in some of their products. But the source of that fur was
Asian (Mongolia and elsewhere) and was used on coats.
Deanglen's hat is from the Czech Republic and most likely
uses felt from one of the longtime felt makers
in that region.

Still, I wouldn't give a penny to Burlington Coat Factory myself.
I prefer beaver, nutria, and hare who have been dead for longer than
I have been alive.

BTW, nice job DG. Wonder if you can stretch out the crown
to make it a bit more full at the top? Sharp ribbon.

Interesting! Actually, I didn't pull the hat down as far as it would go because I wasn't really ready for the shots when Bill took them, but you're right it makes the crown look a bit small. It actually seems about right, but camera angles can play tricks. I think some shots I've seen of Indy hats make the crowns look as high as top hats!

dean

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Most likely a Huckel...

Burlington for some time has sold hats from the Czech hatmaker Huckel, which is part of the Tonak line of hats. In an earlier thread besdor had this to say when commenting on the Huckel hat:

"Huckel is the oldest and largest hat factory today. The real name is Tonak. In the US , you will see hats made by them using the name Selentino. We sell their velour hats on our site. They also make hats for Stetson."

At $16, it's probably the best retail hat deal going. The ones I saw were made of fur felt, probably mostly rabbit. If there's any cat or dog fur, it's probably just to add character ;)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Actually, most, if not all, fur felt hats that come out of the Czech Repub. are made by a company named Tonak which, as far as I know, uses strictly hare and beaver to make their hats. My wife brought me a lovely Tonak back from Prague this past summer.

Nice looking hat! Enjoy.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Snrbfshn said:
Burlington for some time has sold hats from the Czech hatmaker Huckel, which is part of the Tonak line of hats. In an earlier thread besdor had this to say when commenting on the Huckel hat:

"Huckel is the oldest and largest hat factory today. The real name is Tonak. In the US , you will see hats made by them using the name Selentino. We sell their velour hats on our site. They also make hats for Stetson."

At $16, it's probably the best retail hat deal going. The ones I saw were made of fur felt, probably mostly rabbit. If there's any cat or dog fur, it's probably just to add character ;)
JINX!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ