Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jml90 said:

I'm working on getting you the hat. I have to get up to Flint where BCF is located. The one I remember seeing is 1 $16.98 special, grey, fur felt, black ribbon about 1" to 1 1/2" grosgrain, nice bow treatment, with I'd guess about 1 3/4" brim, edged similar to what we call the "cavanaugh edge", no liner and a fabric sweatband, black. It is sized "XL" which I would think would include 7 5/8, or a 62cm, but given it's fabric sweatband it would stretch well to fit, my two BCF specials have some stretchability to them. Still interested?

dean

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
It was "slim pickings" at BCF on the hats. The lady said the grays and browns in my size flew off the shelves pretty quick. I did get a look and feel at them and was impressed at the $20 to $40 price range. I really liked the bound edge style. I'll check another store not too far away later this week.

jml90

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
I'm working on getting you the hat. I have to get up to Flint where BCF is located. The one I remember seeing is 1 $16.98 special, grey, fur felt, black ribbon about 1" to 1 1/2" grosgrain, nice bow treatment, with I'd guess about 1 3/4" brim, edged similar to what we call the "cavanaugh edge", no liner and a fabric sweatband, black. It is sized "XL" which I would think would include 7 5/8, or a 62cm, but given it's fabric sweatband it would stretch well to fit, my two BCF specials have some stretchability to them. Still interested?

dean
Not if it's that small a brim. I think they look silly on me.

jml90

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
Yeah, I guess you'd call it a stingy brim. I'll keep my eyes open for something more to your taste.

dean
Yeah, ideally something in your style. I'm willing to go with any shade of gray or even black

deanglen

Added another BCF Special and redid an OR bash

Here's my latest BCF find, originally I did it as an Indy with a thick ribbon and bow with a center dent but gravitated toward my beloved 3/8" thin grosgrain with OR style bow and "C" bash. The frustrating thing is, I cannot do a bound edge because I don't use sewing machines and probably wouldn't get it right anyway. Returned my vintage OR to the tear drop "C" dent it originally had. Kept the other grey BCF hat with the diamond bash just for variety sake.
Fedora1_edited.jpg

IMGP0135.jpg

dean

Feraud

Bartender
Nice job deanglen! You have certainly found your niche with those Open Roads.
Can I suggest something? Get yourself a trashed beater hat and practice binding the edge. Practice makes perfect and I have a feeling your desire will accelerate the learning process.

deanglen

Feraud said:
Nice job deanglen! You have certainly found your niche with those Open Roads.
Can I suggest something? Get yourself a trashed beater hat and practice binding the edge. Practice makes perfect and I have a feeling your desire will accelerate the learning process.

I would! I have to learn how to use a sewing machine. Ours is broken. Congress won't approve funding to fix it. I have wondered if one of those handheld sewing jobbies would work. Don't know if the felt would make it too tough. I would love to imitate a Stratoliner, a Marathon, even a Whippet or something similar. Open Roads are great but I'd like to broaden it a bit.

dean

deanglen

jml90 said:
Dean I found myself a NOS hat from local shop in a crusable felt so I'm good.

Okay. If I find anything you might be interested in, I'll PM you just in case. Are you going to post any shots of your hat, love to see it!

dean

jml90

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
Okay. If I find anything you might be interested in, I'll PM you just in case. Are you going to post any shots of your hat, love to see it!

dean
Sure tomorrow

Fedorista

Familiar Face
deanglen said:
...I would love to imitate a Stratoliner, a Marathon, even a Whippet or something similar...
dean

Nitpickin: Marathon is to Penneys as Craftsman and Kenmore are to Sears. It is an in house brand, not a style.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Dean after all the talk, I stopped by BCF today to check out the hats. I saw many, most were fur felt. The majority of what they had were very stiff and not very pliable, none seemed to be as nice as those available at your BFC. That having been said, there was 1 that was soft as many of my vintage Stetsons, or Borso's. It fit nice, felt nice , but was a short brim and just did not suit me. How I wish the brim was a bit wider. I will keep my eye on their inventory, who know what may show up later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider