Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

ideaguy

One Too Many
Deanglen: Your taste in hats is a mirror of mine-and I love the fact that you've
circumvented the ebay machine- a thin ribboned, OR/Strat style,raw edge,in a gray-taupe-mink color from BCF would be worth some moneys to me, so if you
are planning any trips in the near future, a 7 3/8 (L?) would be most appreciated-you're now the official broker...please send me a P.M. and a bill!!
thanks M

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ideaguy said:
Deanglen: Your taste in hats is a mirror of mine-and I love the fact that you've
circumvented the ebay machine- a thin ribboned, OR/Strat style,raw edge,in a gray-taupe-mink color from BCF would be worth some moneys to me, so if you
are planning any trips in the near future, a 7 3/8 (L?) would be most appreciated-you're now the official broker...please send me a P.M. and a bill!!
thanks M

Always willing to serve! :) They're getting to know me at BCF: "YOU! Back again!?" I'm actually considering a conversation with the manager to see what they might have back in the stockroom, or at least see when their next shipment is due!

dean

Rick Blaine

deanglen said:
Always willing to serve! :) They're getting to know me at BCF: "YOU! Back again!?" I'm actually considering a conversation with the manager to see what they might have back in the stockroom, or at least see when their next shipment is due!

dean

You might ought to ask him how many units we would have to buy for a volume discount. I would be in f/ at least 2 of the sort (that was until recently) in yr. avatar, I am thinking a gray & a brown in 59 or 60 cm?

deanglen

Rick Blaine said:
You might ought to ask him how many units we would have to buy for a volume discount. I would be in f/ at least 2 of the sort (that was until recently) in yr. avatar, I am thinking a gray & a brown in 59 or 60 cm?

Glad you mentioned that, Rick. Might prove fruitful.

dean

deanglen

BCF Manager Flint store communication update

They have no control over what hats they get at the BCF near me. Manager said I'd just have to haunt the place. I will. Found two more BCF I can get to, hoping thursday to check one of them.

dean

deanglen

I did this hat to wear on the day of my daughter's wedding, which I performed as her pastor and her father. I didn't wear it during the service, just in case some wag was getting ready to ask. Anyway, it's a black fur felt hat from Burlington Coat Factory, and it was a nice $17. but more of a charcoal gray/black with a fabric sweatband and of course, no liner. The felt is light and soft. I added a black 3/8" grosgrain with a modified Stetson Stratoliner bow treatment, modified because I trimmed the ends square and close to the bow,versus the longer bevel cut ends. I hand sewed a brim binding, and the black thread on the black ribbon makes the O.K. sewing job done in a hurry to get it done by wedding day 12/02/06 practically invisible. The Stratoliner Pin is a gift I truly treasure from RBH and it breaks up the overall darkness of the hat. It has a C crown because I was going for a Stratoliner look, (though a Stratoliner in mourning), and I am overall pleased with how it came out. Looking back at these pictures I think Bill's camera wide angle lens makes the hat look small on my head, and to iilustrate, as soon as I get some shots from the day of the wedding I think I'll post them to illustrate what I mean. And the hat clearly has a taper to it that broadcasts its inexpensive, non-"vintage" real self. Used software to improve images:
oooooo.jpg

uuuuuuuuu.jpg

yyyyyyyyy.jpg

eeeeeeee.jpg

ppppppp.jpg

dean

feltfan

Part of what I find interesting about these hats
you've been doing, Dean, is that they come out
nicer than most hats you see in hat stores these days.
There's just a little extra umph to your hats that
isn't in the factory lids.

It goes to show you what a little attention to detail
can do.

deanglen

kiltedjeeper said:
very nice, and actually almost exactly what I've been looking for.

Where's this "Guess Where" place?

Hi! Thank you! It's the Burlington Coat Factory. They have a selection of men's hats that often includes inexpensive fur felt hats that are prime candidates for renovation to "vintage" style. These are my baby steps toward an as yet speculative hat production career. Welcome to the Lounge!

dean

deanglen

Mr. Lucky said:
Alas, I've already done my damage. I'll just have to grin and wear it! But, next time around, I will leave my purchase in your capable hands a bit longer. Again, nice work.

So you won't be posting any pictures of it? I'm sure you're being too modest. Love to see your hat, on you, too.

dean

deanglen

feltfan said:
Part of what I find interesting about these hats
you've been doing, Dean, is that they come out
nicer than most hats you see in hat stores these days.
There's just a little extra umph to your hats that
isn't in the factory lids.

It goes to show you what a little attention to detail
can do.

Thanks. I hope to improve with each attempt. So you think I could block out the taper? I imagine those hat blocks are not cheap. I wonder how I could accomplish the same thing in a more 'improvisational' way.

dean

RBH

Bartender
Once again..

great job !
FeltFan hit it dead on. That little bit of attention gives your hats that added push.
Dean check out this place for blocks
http://www.hatshapers.com/Whats_a_Hatshaper.htm
I think a few of our fellow Loungers have and use these. I am thinking about one for my western to fedora hats, I would think it would be great to get out all the old bash marks.
Have you thought about getting your next hat a size big, then when you put your ribbon on tighten it up to fit your head. That might get rid of a little bit of taper. It would also work good if you had one of those blocks, in your size of course. Wet the felt real well then streach the felt over the block, The extra in the size department would keep you from losing brim width, you might even gain a little.
Once again great work, look forward to seeing more of it.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

deanglen

Great link, RBH. And good advice on using one. So getting, let's say, an "XL" $17 special would save me brim width, and produce some reverse taper, if not eliminate the taper altogether? Tightening the ribbon would size it down, and keep it from being too loose on the crown? Okay. From another source I found out that hatters use a special type of ribbon, not the craft store stuff I used. I think I've seen it offered on some hat supply sites. Have to look into that.

dean

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Next on HGTV: Dean's Budget Beater Makeovers!

Awesome, Dean. Really nice -- I think in the near future you may be able to drop the "a" off your "avocation." :eusa_clap

And RBH's ideas sound like they'll work great. I look forward to the next generation of Budget Beater (or is that "Budget Beaver," as in whatever animal BCF uses for its felt) fedoras!

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
RBH those Hatshapers are interesting, I can not help but wonder just what "virgin plastic" is. :rolleyes: I have heard that virgin wool, comes from ugly sheep. Could it be that virgin plastic comes from ugly oil? :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ