Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in restaurants

My wife and I had a conversation the other day after the wrong umbrella was returned to her by the coat check girl. The coat check girls response to my wife's complaint was.."its an umbrella, whats the big deal?" We then wondered what it was like in the days of the ubiquity of men's hats? How often was the wrong hat returned? Did they ever receive a response such as...."Its a hat, whats the big deal?"
If the patron was given a hat in their size that was better than the one they checked, I'd guess they would simply say "Thank you" and beat a hasty retreat before the real owner showed up. :p

Indeed NOT! Every hat automatically got its own check ticket back in "the day," but I needed to REQUEST one and instruct the hat check boy where to place the ticket [in the ribbon] on Saturday. I wonder when the next time will be that he'll have the opportunity to use what he learned...
Call me a paranoid or a cautious man......(both may be true!) even in church I don't leave my hat in the cloakroom....choosing to take it to my seat, place in a silk bag and slip it under the seat....where I know its safe!

Call me a paranoid or a cautious man......(both may be true!) even in church I don't leave my hat in the cloakroom....choosing to take it to my seat, place in a silk bag and slip it under the seat....where I know its safe!

The problem is the lack of ATTENDED hat check rooms. That would make you feel better. It worked for me on Saturday.

My favorite restaurant is in a VERY tough neighborhood. How tough? The Hat check girl's name is Vince... or was it Nick?!

The problem is the lack of ATTENDED hat check rooms. That would make you feel better. It worked for me on Saturday.

My favorite restaurant is in a VERY tough neighborhood. How tough? The Hat check girl's name is Vince... or was it Nick?!

I only know of a couple of places in my area that have an actual coat/hat check, with an attendant. I'm pretty comfy leaving my hat with them. Frankly the throwback feel when I do it is nice.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Ya know what? I have a helmet bag somewhere that would fit this bill quite nicely. The bag is very thin and squashes up very compactly. That way I won't have to put my hat, or my hat on my bag, directly on the floor under my chair.

Great idea, thanks.

RJR

Ya know what? I have a helmet bag somewhere that would fit this bill quite nicely. The bag is very thin and squashes up very compactly. That way I won't have to put my hat, or my hat on my bag, directly on the floor under my chair.

Great idea, thanks.
+1

FantasticFedoras

New in Town
I like my hat
But I’m really having a tough time adopting it into my daily routine
I don’t hang outside all day, and I live in a windy area (tropical).

When I go to a restaurant, leave it on at the bar area but take it off at the table?
Fair enough…
But it’s a pain to find a spot to put it.
Keep it on my knee? I can do that, but it’s not the most convenient.

Work I wear it to the office but then take it off. All good, works fine, but why wear it at all if that’s the plan?

General public areas? Lounges, lobbies, other? Leave it on I guess.

I want to incorporate the hat more into my routine but I am really struggling.

dkstott

Practically Family
We rarely dine in "fancier restaurants" that require more formal attire.

Heres my process at the regular places that we dine at;

If we're sitting in a booth, my hat or cap comes off & sits alongside me.

If we are at a table or at the bar. My hat or cap stays on my head.

Who?

Practically Family
Outside, my hat stays on my head. (unless I get a subtle hint from across the table, such as “Are you going to take your hat off?”) It seems to depend on which restaurant we are patronizing. If we are duded up, the hat will probably come off.

We don’t eat at counters or bars, so that removes that one.

If we are at a table for four, it goes on one of the empty chairs. If the table is for two, on my knee or under my chair, depending on the condition of the floor or the carpet.

It is beside me in a booth.

One should not become obsessed with such things, and when I was a wee lad one learned these things from his father and/or grandfathers. It was part of growing up.

This seems to be a rather sensitive topic with some who evidently were not exposed to these conventions as a child, and frequently provokes a rather sharp response from the ball cap crowd. Perhaps some need a well-dressed Italian gentleman to advise them that “They don’t serve hot dogs here.”

Jimmy Stewart didn't allow hats at the table.

1659189897837.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana