Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Hats on a Stick ®"

Thanks Eric. I have an OM28v also. I love the vintage neck but I'm sure my playing is not up to par with yours or BB's.

I just had to get it out after listening to a little bit of Willie this morning.

A Kevin O'Farrell & a Martin OM28v.

IMG_1387.jpg

How about a Wormser on a prop of my 1946 Luscombe Silvaire 8e share-o-plane. The prop is kind of a stick.

65d2a87786cfd219ab46b7caabfe5c2e.jpg

ecbf97735d87aa540d2b5ae7ba4058fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That works! Fantastic vintage airplane. Being a 1946, I find it interesting that so close to post WWII a civil plane was in production. What country is this manufacture?

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
That works! Fantastic vintage airplane. Being a 1946, I find it interesting that so close to post WWII a civil plane was in production. What country is this manufacture?

The Luscombe was first designed in 1937 and I think entered production the same year. Ultimately, about 5,800 were manufactured until production ceased in 1960. I think what kept them flying was that they were used by the Civilian Pilots Training Programme started in 1940 in anticipation of the US potentially entering WWII and the programme continued throughout the conflict. As these aircraft were used to train pilots (like the more widely used Piper J-3 Cubs), it seems that the War Department authorised their continued manufacture.

This particular one was "born" on 16 October 1946 and was imported to England in 1986. She is a real stick and rudder aircraft, non-aerobatic which is my only complaint. I just took my daughter up for her first flight today in her as a Father's Day thing [emoji16].

The Luscombe was first designed in 1937 and I think entered production the same year. Ultimately, about 5,800 were manufactured until production ceased in 1960. I think what kept them flying was that they were used by the Civilian Pilots Training Programme started in 1940 in anticipation of the US potentially entering WWII and the programme continued throughout the conflict. As these aircraft were used to train pilots (like the more widely used Piper J-3 Cubs), it seems that the War Department authorised their continued manufacture.

This particular one was "born" on 16 October 1946 and was imported to England in 1986. She is a real stick and rudder aircraft, non-aerobatic which is my only complaint. I just took my daughter up for her first flight today in her as a Father's Day thing [emoji16].

Thank you for the history. I'm more into the military side of aviation (WWI Specialty) but this story is really interesting to me. It is a beauty, and I am greatly impressed.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Thank you for the history. I'm more into the military side of aviation (WWI Specialty) but this story is really interesting to me. It is a beauty, and I am greatly impressed.

Thank you kindly. There is a replica Fokker and Sopwith triplane at my airfield (all grass) which has been in continuous operation since 1917 I think. When I went to preflight the Luscombe yesterday, we stumbled on the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire and Hurricane preparing for a display as it is the queens birthday. These very professional and busy pilots and ground crew generously gave us a private tour. This Spitfire flew in the Battle of Britain. One of my relatives was a Free French pilot KIA in 1943. Lest we forget - whatever side.

I do not want to hijack this hat thread further, but leave you with this. Note my son is wearing a 30's blocked straw (I am actually jealous of the block, just too small and he thinks I am crazy [emoji1]), so I guess it has a hat link.

8bafa7989b52c148e6dda72e3e850dcc.jpg

81d5ceff46653e13facac116597d4cf3.jpg

4ca8a36ed4fa2ae2c7b2e4b125f77381.jpg

Thank you kindly. There is a replica Fokker and Sopwith triplane at my airfield (all grass) which has been in continuous operation since 1917 I think. When I went to preflight the Luscombe yesterday, we stumbled on the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire and Hurricane preparing for a display as it is the queens birthday. These very professional and busy pilots and ground crew generously gave us a private tour. This Spitfire flew in the Battle of Britain. One of my relatives was a Free French pilot KIA in 1943. Lest we forget - whatever side.

I do not want to hijack this hat thread further, but leave you with this. Note my son is wearing a 30's blocked straw (I am actually jealous of the block, just too small and he thinks I am crazy [emoji1]), so I guess it has a hat link.

8bafa7989b52c148e6dda72e3e850dcc.jpg

81d5ceff46653e13facac116597d4cf3.jpg

4ca8a36ed4fa2ae2c7b2e4b125f77381.jpg
Thank you. This made my day. To be in the presence of an actual Battle of Britain Spit would bring me to tears.

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
Its funny that the OP started this thread. The day I got caught in a downpour in the Quarter I was about 2 blocks from the Hotel. I set the Open Road on the post to dry. Thought it looked picture ready. Never gave it another thought until I seen this thread. I knew I had the picture in the cloud somewhere.
Funny how the Universe works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112