Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on TV

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I prefer Stewart in this cumpled
article-0-1CB5635400000578-48_634x895 (1).jpg

We use the saying "Wear the hat; don't let the hat wear you" often around here, and this is an example of the hats (and the clothes) wearing the actors. All three of 'em look like they borrowed those clothes for a Halloween party.

I agree completely. Not only are the styles terrible they look like costumes and not actual clothes. The photos of the real LAPD squad look so authentic and natural.

It also doesn't help that the TV show actors look 20 years too young and are all pretty boys.

Maybe the hats are alright; I can't tell because I see them as part of the whole and the whole looks terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't see much of it around here. Never did figure out the whole unstructured jacket with padded shoulders thing. Never saw espadrilles on a man, either.

If you can look at a photo and guess it's age within a couple of years by the fashion trends then I'm not interested. Men's "style" hasn't really changed much over the last 80 years. Sure a 1930s suit looks slightly different then a conservative cut today, but not much. A 50 year old suit from the 1960s looks very little different then a fine suit today. Fashions come and go every year, if not every season, but style is slow to change and that's how I like it.

I'll admit that I watched a few episodes of Miami Vice in the '80s, but I've never personally seen anyone dress like those actors. To each their own, but The Hat Squad costumes looked horrible to me in the 1990s and time has not done them any favors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Dunno if anybody's posted this, of the late Robert Culp in his 1957-59 TV oater Trackdown:

Trackdown_013_fiftyrstvwesterns.jpg

The show is notable for introducing Steve McQueen's Josh Randall character, later spun off in Wanted: Dead or Alive; for being Culp's first starring role on TV; and for airing his first script, "Back to Crawford," late in the show's run.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Probably already mentioned on this thread but since things are forgotten 5 minutes after reading on forums, a little reminder.

' Campion' (1989/90)

albert-campion_2880407k.jpg

I hadn't heard of this series, and haven't read many of Margery Allingham's Albert Campion novels -- but both actors look perfectly cast as Campion and his "man of all work," Magersfontein Lugg.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Tristan was my favourite role of Davidson's. Sean Hughes of the last detective died young a few weeks back. Liver. Sad.
It was a great role and a great series. Truly did inspire my style and those heavy country clothes are the gold I seek. Sad to hear about Sean Hughes. I think it was just a couple of months ago that I rewatched the Last Detective series.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk