Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HATS WITH HISTORY

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
A Pair Of Stetson Owned Stetsons

002ix.jpg

003pk.jpg

001ddt.jpg

003des.jpg

singlechange

One of the Regulars
Resistol Western With Rodeo Hall of Fame

My first and one and only western hat that I stumbled upon during my birthday weekend on Ebay. The Resistol leather sweatband says "DESIGNED BY Harry Rolnick for CY TAILLON." Taillon was a legendary voice of the rodeo in the 1940's til the 1970's, rodeo's Walter Cronkite, and was even inducted into the Cowboy Hall of Fame. The seller came across the Resistol in a Goodwill Store. The color is a medium gray slightly tinged with blue. The sweatband is unreeded. Underneath the leather band is a green bordered white paper reorder tag that says Garland, Texas. Maybe someone on the forum can date it better but perhaps it is from the 1950's because of the clear plastic liner protector. Brim is 3 1/2 inches, Crown 5 inches. The felt is thick and feels soft, dense and to me remarkable. I have a 1960's Stetson Clear Beaver 7X "Fifty" and the Resistol felt almost feels as good. It's a keeper for me.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
LBJ Resistol

I've had this one for awhile but forgot to post it here. This is a Wide Country 3X Beaver made by Resistol for President Lyndon B. Johnson.

Chepstow has a similar hat given to a German politician. I believe his sweatband is a little different but I'm not certain because his pictures aren't loading for me this morning. I'm not sure if the problem is on my end or his picture links.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Manfred & Mike
both fine Resistols & worthy of you 2 just as much as their past owners...
wear em with pride !

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"HANDSOME! Is that a ten-gallon hat on your lap or are you just enjoying the show?"

I just got this hat, seen here, in 1957 on the head of Mr. Sonny Rollins

one of the most acclaimed & accomplished Sax players Jazz has ever produced, behind only 'trane & Bird (& arguably Lester Young) & is, by virtue of having not yet died, currently regarded as the greatest living saxophonist.

Cool enough already, right? (to a nerd like me:p)

Nice hat, stellar provenance & so on, but, just as significant & interesting (& important & exciting) is that- Photographer William Claxton, who took the cover photo of Sonny Rollins in cowboy attire in a desert setting, confirms that Mel Brooks got the inspiration for his film Blazing Saddles from this striking image!

Whatta' ya' know? I am tickled pink. Mr. Claxton has since died, but Rollins & Brooks push on, well into their eighties.
The question being, how can I get this signed???
Well even with no autographs, a great piece of ephemera or Americana from 2o'th century film & Jazz.
And 'til I get my herd up to over 1000 head, I wouldn't feel right wearing this much. Unless elected Sheriff I suppose.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana