Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatters beware

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I became very interested in this trade when I saw Panama Bob's efforts to provide some help to the people who did the work, but I couldn't help but feel that the whole business, which has been around for a long time and is reliant on the talents of the poorest people, is likely rife with the worst kinds of corruption at all levels. I'd tread lightly down there.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I've thought about that side of things. Kind of like the garbage collection business in L.A. in the 70's. You go along or you're done. Don't want to step on the wrong toes. Corruption in SA is almost as bad as with the Clintonistas, but that's another thread for another board.

I've seen news reports while I was down there about one guy killing another over something like $2.57!

emigran

Practically Family
Art, my wife is from Ecuador and her family still lives there, mostly in Guayaquil. Unfortunately, counterfeit, fraud, bait and switch, etc., are very common there. Counterfeit drugs, even in hospitals, can be deadly.

My wife and I have been discussing a small business where we import various items, and my main interest has been Panama hat bodies and, perhaps, finished hats. We generally go down there every year, but only my wife is going later this year.

The picture I have for my avatar is from a tour we had of a nice hat factory in Cuenca. Those are stacks of bleached bodies waiting to be made into Panama hats. We are planning a side trip to Manta and Montecristi next year. Unless I had a solid bond with an honest, trusted friend in Ecuador, I would only do business face-to-face. Even then, I would hand carry my goods back with me. Losses from theft at the post offices down there can be a real problem as well.

I'll let you know if we get any inventory and you can inspect it prior to purchase. It may be some time off into the future, so I hope you can solve this dilemma beforehand.

All the best,
Doug

GO FOR IT BROTHER... Help some Brothers out for sure...

navarre

Vendor
Thanks for the heads up Art. I have been having a hell of a time down there lately as well and as it stands right now, I may just skip offering them for a while. It seems to be becoming more frustrating every order.

Alan makes a good point, but I feel that the problems stem from before that period. The earthquake may have exacerbated a problem but it certainly isn't the cause.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I can only imagine that others are experiencing the same thing. There just may be enough demand to warrant a couple trips a year. I've seen some real nice Panama hats and "Pan-doras" coming out of the shops in the NW.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Art,
I import from undeveloped countries as my job. Our general policy is to pay upon receipt and inspection (here in the USA) for everything. There are some vendors who won't do this and in that case if they have something you absolutely want to get then you have to either have someone in country who can see the merchandise and buy in person or you have to fly over and buy it and ship it back. If you pay up front you run a very big risk of losing not only the money spent but also the supplier because even dishonest suppliers can get you good stuff as long as you're careful with them. Once they've stolen from you then you won't be getting anything else from them easily.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

Cuenca is a Beautiful Old City , and a lot of expats live there . Hope maybe FedOR can get something working that world help the people needing it on both sides . Thanks for getting the word out on the crooks and scammers Art , especially for all that could be hurt . I know they appreciate it .

I know a Christian Orphanage that's run by some good people that moved up to Cuenca last year , it was too dangerous where they had been . If all else fails I could give you their name , and contact info . They might be glad to help or know someone that could .

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I've visited there twice now, and 5 times to my wife's town of Guayaquil. I felt more at home in Cuenca than anywhere else, but Salinas on the coast is a very cool beachside town as well.

Everyone we met in Cuenca was real nice, and Quito as well but the capitol city is a little bit too big for me. When we're in Guayaquil, it's almost always too hot, and the crime there is fairly bad, so between those two items it seems like I'm always stuck inside next to an air conditioner or inside a relative's house or headed to a nicer town...

I hope we can make some contacts with good people who can keep us supplied with quality hat bodies, and make mutually beneficial business relationships with all concerned.

MJL

One of the Regulars
For starters I would suggest a formal letter of complaint be filed with both the US Department of State and the Embassy of the Republic of Ecuador in Washington D.C. This should be a legal complaint requesting the US Department of State block products from this supplier from entering the USA until which time that they fulfill your order or compensate you what you have paid them. Obviously an attorney vested in international law should make this complaint, perhaps one of the many attorneys here could lend you a hand. As well, you might also try to file that same letter with your congressman, and two senators. As well, try to get you local State Attorney office to file grand theft charges against the guy as a warrant speaks volumes to the U.S. Department of State. Last, and this is just my opinion, Ecuador is extremely anti-American at the present time, with a virulent, hateful government that would likely give this excrement a medal if they knew he screwed a norte Americano. I do not think countries like this deserve US Dollars or business from Americans. I don't care how good their weavers are hats can be woven in Colombia, Mexico, etc without AS MUCH hatred and thievery. I witnessed, up close and personal, the substantial Ecuadorian community here in Miami try to valiantly send home the most basic supplies to assist their countrymen after the earthquake as the Government of Ecuador refused to accept US Government aid, US or Israeli rescue teams, etc. File those complaints with the hope that at least this excreta is prevented from doing business in the US again. That will be your best and likely only compensation; knowing you helped out the next guy.....

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
For starters I would suggest a formal letter of complaint be filed with both the US Department of State and the Embassy of the Republic of Ecuador in Washington D.C. This should be a legal complaint requesting the US Department of State block products from this supplier from entering the USA until which time that they fulfill your order or compensate you what you have paid them. Obviously an attorney vested in international law should make this complaint, perhaps one of the many attorneys here could lend you a hand. As well, you might also try to file that same letter with your congressman, and two senators. As well, try to get you local State Attorney office to file grand theft charges against the guy as a warrant speaks volumes to the U.S. Department of State. Last, and this is just my opinion, Ecuador is extremely anti-American at the present time, with a virulent, hateful government that would likely give this excrement a medal if they knew he screwed a norte Americano. I do not think countries like this deserve US Dollars or business from Americans. I don't care how good their weavers are hats can be woven in Colombia, Mexico, etc without AS MUCH hatred and thievery. I witnessed, up close and personal, the substantial Ecuadorian community here in Miami try to valiantly send home the most basic supplies to assist their countrymen after the earthquake as the Government of Ecuador refused to accept US Government aid, US or Israeli rescue teams, etc. File those complaints with the hope that at least this excreta is prevented from doing business in the US again. That will be your best and likely only compensation; knowing you helped out the next guy.....

That's true , but it's not the government that suffers , its the people . Our government is corrupt top to bottom . They can't be trusted , don't obey our laws or hold those accountable in government that steal , lie , commit perjury , and steal billions , or more . Only the people suffer . If a lawyer gets involved the lawyer will milk it , more than likely . But if someone that is a honest trustworthy person that cared about the people , and wanted to be an honest broker , they could get the Hats from the manufacturer to the Hatters , and shops , and everyone would win .

I know a couple there that run an Orphanage that would probably be glad to help , it might help them , too , Bless An Orphan (Marshall and Karissa Washburn : www.BlessAnOrphan.com) in Cuenca Ecuador . Her father Rick Wiles has a ministry , and handles the donations out of their Vero Beach FL headquarters , 100% goes there and is tax deductible . But I've got the office number and address , I'm sure they'd see how and if they could help .

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
MJL, thank you for the suggestion. I've thought of that but with the amount of fraud so small ( it's only big to me) adding a lawyer fee would be prohibitive. Sometimes you just have to eat it and not send good money after bad.
Great idea Michael R, I'll be reaching out to them. THanks

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
There is a sad note to all of this no matter what comes or goes...the fact someone was already made a victim of theft! And for Art Fawcett, that means he is out of the money stolen and then the business he could have done with the hat bodies gets shifted into having to deal with all this beyond mere financial issues. When you get ripped off, it is like having a mule kick you in your heart. It makes no difference who was involved, there is only the event itself that makes it a sad and hurtful experience to have to go through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm