Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

Not the usual motif I go for but this one spoke to me. Plus, it was a charity find with the tag still attached. Great pocket detail.
CIMG1422.JPG
CIMG1423.JPG
CIMG1424.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not the usual motif I go for but this one spoke to me.
Fantastic shirt, I might even steal that. That's if I can find the material.
A while back I posted a picture of three guys, local musicians, that my wife made shirts for. The material depicted musical instruments and sheet music. The partner of one, who is a sort of booking agent, she gets them gigs across the locality, was so taken with the shirts that she asked my wife to make her something similar.
Never having actually made a ladies shirt, blouses yes, but not a shirt, she went back to the drawing board and came up with this.
Harvel 003.jpg
Instead of sleeves it has, what's called, cap-sleeves. The back is in black material, like the guy's shirts. There's no breast pocket because, if you look closely you will see that there are darts each side where the breast pocket would be. The darts will emphasize the lady's curves, it will look and make her, feel very feminine. The two small black strips lower down are not the pockets that they appear to be, but ties that tie behind her, again emphasizing her curves, this time her slender waist. Tina is going to present her with it tomorrow night when we shall be at a rocking good gig. Hopefully the young lady might try it on and give permission to be photographed wearing it. I do hope so.
This the musicians wearing the original shirts
Harvel 004.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Kind words sir, thank you. There's a nice post script to that photo. Later that evening when the place had filled up, a lady was so taken by the lounge pants that Tina was wearing, she sent her husband across to ask where she bought them. "Ugh!" Grunted the guy when Tina told him that she had made them.
The sun shine has returned, in other threads we've had differing opinions about black hats. I only have the one, but it gets as much wear as the others. As long as it compliments everything else it's fine by me.
Aloha 023.JPG

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Always great to see action here! Nice additions Greg and GHT. A free shipping offer from Avanti was all the excuse I needed to add a couple more fishy prints to my collection, I do have a fetish for these. The usual Avanti made in China silk with bamboo buttons and nice details.

This one is a variation on an earlier Avanti print I already own

This one was also available in a more conservative navy blue but I thought the fish popped more on the Nesbitt's orange version

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
This one deserves a bit more attention. I was gifted this from Che (seabass) on my recent road trip. It's good to know Che! This is probably a repop as Diamond Head Sportswear is still in business under the umbrella of Paradise Lost brands and it is a very large size. I cut off the XL size tag because it was falling apart from age hardening and yellowing which might also mean it could be original late 50/60's judging by the collar. At any rate a killer print in Rayon with wood buttons and pleated back. Love this one and big thanks to Che!

Last edited:
Mike!! You're killin' it bro! You know I love the fishes. The koi are classic and those flying fish are sublime! The purple and orange color scheme sends me. The hula honeys are pretty sweet too. Che did you right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Fabulous shirt Mike, love the hula-hula girls. That remark about XL prompted a reminisce. When my wife made a surprise gift of a shirt for a dear friend of ours, she asked his good lady to get his measurements. The lady said: "Just make it maternity!" Our friend does have a bit of a beer belly on him.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I don't have the technical ability to post photos but I have only one genuine Hawaiian sport shirt. It was a gift from my wife, so I have to wear it. But bless her heart, it has flying boats on it. It's almost too good to wear.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Flying boats huh? Aw man I've got to see that. Look I'm the world's worst at anything techie and I can do it. You see those three boxes at the bottom? Click the one 'Upload a File.' You will get a little box that reads: 'Choose File.' Click it and that will take you to your computer page of photos. All you need to do then is either click the photo, or, enter the file name. (that's the title of the photo,) then click the box marked: 'Open' and it's job done.
If it tells you that the file is too large all you have to do is upload the photo to a site like Photobucket where you can reduce the file. Then you click on the reduced file, it will say: 'Save As,' save it at whatever title you want and then repeat the above procedure.
Can't wait to see those flying boats.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You're a man after my own heart. Can't deny that I have a camera, but it has 35mm film. When I take the film for developing, I'm given a disc along with the photos. It took a 12 year old to explain that I could load the disc into a computer. I had all these discs and no idea what they were for.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not Hawaiian, more Art Deco, but non the less it's a lovely material that gets "where did you get your shirt?" compliments every time I wear it. The fabric was advertised as being useful as cushion covers and other soft furnishings. But being a rich, strong cotton, it's ideal for a shirt.
aloha 035.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk