Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Here's a new Cuenca brisa weave straw, super wide brim for me, with one of my favorite Hawaiian shirts. I'd planned to immediately have the brim cut down by a local hatter but now I'm thinking to let it be, at least for awhile.

i-FGMvdv4-L.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Again, thanks guys, I have passed on your complimentary remarks to the lady, she just smiled bashfully and went all girly. Take that as a thank you.

Here's a new Cuenca brisa weave straw, super wide brim for me, with one of my favorite Hawaiian shirts. I'd planned to immediately have the brim cut down by a local hatter but now I'm thinking to let it be, at least for awhile.

i-FGMvdv4-L.jpg
Yes Fed, let it be. The straw with the red hat band that Esther made me, the one where I'm wearing the red shirt above, also has a larger brim. How that hat has grown on me, how I have come to love it more and more. That's a beautiful shirt, the sort of pattern that can cheer you up even when the skies are grey. Compliments to you.

About an hour's drive from where we live is one of the few remaining fabric warehouses in the UK. It's a family run business, and as such, you get the level of service not seen at corporate outlets. The shop is called Hansons and with the power of the internet you can click on the link and see the place for yourselves. Some time ago we had gone there together, I remained in the car, reading my book, whilst Tina was at her happiest browsing the new stock.
A tap on the car window made me jump and Tina smile. "Sorry," she said. "What do you think of this?" By 'This' she meant a fabric that was titled "Gatsby." "There's just four yards left, and I can have it for the price of three," she informed me, adding, "it will make a great shirt." It certainly did make a great shirt. It's not Aloha or even Hawaiian, by any stretch of the imagination, it's what we have come to call topical rather than tropical. This shirt never fails to get complimentary remarks.
How I love it, even when I found out that although she only paid for three yards, it's still the second most expensive shirt I have. The dearest being one that the material was a one off screen print.
shirts 145.JPG aloha 035.JPG

Last edited:
Again, thanks guys, I have passed on your complimentary remarks to the lady, she just smiled bashfully and went all girly. Take that as a thank you.

Yes Fed, let it be. The straw with the red hat band that Esther made me, the one where I'm wearing the red shirt above, also has a larger brim. How that hat has grown on me, how I have come to love it more and more. That's a beautiful shirt, the sort of pattern that can cheer you up even when the skies are grey. Compliments to you.

About an hour's drive from where we live is one of the few remaining fabric warehouses in the UK. It's a family run business, and as such, you get the level of service not seen at corporate outlets. The shop is called Hansons and with the power of the internet you can click on the link and see the place for yourselves. Some time ago we had gone there together, I remained in the car, reading my book, whilst Tina was at her happiest browsing the new stock.
A tap on the car window made me jump and Tina smile. "Sorry," she said. "What do you think of this?" By 'This' she meant a fabric that was titled "Gatsby." "There's just four yards left, and I can have it for the price of three," she informed me, adding, "it will make a great shirt." It certainly did make a great shirt. It's not Aloha or even Hawaiian, by any stretch of the imagination, it's what we have come to call topical rather than tropical. This shirt never fails to get complimentary remarks.
How I love it, even when I found out that although she only paid for three yards, it's still the second most expensive shirt I have. The dearest being one that the material was a one off screen print.
View attachment 78998 View attachment 78999
Wow! that material is so special. Love the combo with the hat.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 78998 View attachment 78999
I keep swearing that I'm going to clean up my language. But, damn, GHT! That's one extraordinary shirt! My hat's off to you, Sir! Seriously, what a pattern; what a statement; what a shirt! And Tina, what an artist!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm wearing a store brand Hawaiian shirt that I bought in the 1990s with a Royal Stetson Open Road. I almost forgot just how cool and light they are to wear in the Summer heat. I have several Hawaiian shirts that I'm going to start wearing again more often.

Royal_Stetson_8_A.jpg

Royal_Stetson_10_A.jpg

A little bit of Hawaiian music to set the mood

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm wearing a store brand Hawaiian shirt that I bought in the 1990s with a Royal Stetson Open Road. I almost forgot just how cool and light they are to wear in the Summer heat. I have several Hawaiian shirts that I'm going to start wearing again more often.

Royal_Stetson_8_A.jpg

Royal_Stetson_10_A.jpg

A little bit of Hawaiian music to set the mood

Great colours, the hat & shirt go so well together. Compliments to you.

Sometimes you just have to make a statement. Pin ups and flora. Strong colours, striking fabric, no point wearing it if you are a shrinking violet.
Best remark I have had: "Man, I wish I had the nerve to wear that." To which I quipped: "Don't worry, one day hats will come back into fashion."
aloha 063.jpg

Sometimes you just have to make a statement. Pin ups and flora. Strong colours, striking fabric, no point wearing it if you are a shrinking violet.
Best remark I have had: "Man, I wish I had the nerve to wear that." To which I quipped: "Don't worry, one day hats will come back into fashion."
View attachment 79065
Nice! The bolder the better!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 79065
Thank you, G. My compliments on your combo as well. Very nice.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It's the British Grand Prix on Sunday. Tina & I have had some wonderful trips to that event, but we won't be going this year. But just as a passing nod:
aloha 112.JPG shirts 167.JPG
It clashes with a date that we have on Poole Quay. Poole harbour is the second largest natural harbour in the world, it's also where The Sunseeker Boat Company have their shipyard. Poole Quay was also one of the many discharge quays that saw the departure of the allied soldiers for the beaches of Normandy on what we now call D-Day.
Nowadays it's an attractive tourist centre, bustling with bars and restaurants. On Sunday our car is booked to attend: Poole Goes Vintage. I'm waiting to see how the weather pans out before deciding whether to wear this shirt:
hats 002.JPG
If it's a cooler day I will probably wear a summer blazer with a collar & tie. Our car has no worries about being upstaged, as the promotional internet page shows.
Poole Goes Vintage.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
It's the British Grand Prix on Sunday. Tina & I have had some wonderful trips to that event, but we won't be going this year. But just as a passing nod:
View attachment 79131 View attachment 79132
It clashes with a date that we have on Poole Quay. Poole harbour is the second largest natural harbour in the world, it's also where The Sunseeker Boat Company have their shipyard. Poole Quay was also one of the many discharge quays that saw the departure of the allied soldiers for the beaches of Normandy on what we now call D-Day.
Nowadays it's an attractive tourist centre, bustling with bars and restaurants. On Sunday our car is booked to attend: Poole Goes Vintage. I'm waiting to see how the weather pans out before deciding whether to wear this shirt:
View attachment 79133
If it's a cooler day I will probably wear a summer blazer with a collar & tie. Our car has no worries about being upstaged, as the promotional internet page shows.
Poole Goes Vintage.
Very classy, Sir. Very classy indeed. Did you say your car was shown at the link? All I saw were some hens and a tall, velvet glass of pink champagne... my, oh my...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My oh my indeed, I love your quip, made me smile and reminisce that photo shoot.
It's a cooler day today, thinking about what to wear tomorrow for the vintage day. I shall probably go for the sports jacket and maybe a floral shirt, like this. We'll see.
aloha 151.JPG

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
My oh my indeed, I love your quip, made me smile and reminisce that photo shoot.
It's a cooler day today, thinking about what to wear tomorrow for the vintage day. I shall probably go for the sports jacket and maybe a floral shirt, like this. We'll see.
View attachment 79307
You always look so sharp, ght!

I'm out spending money on MrsFed's car, ouch! But the Hawaiian shirt, Cartier silk, specs and Champ Featherweight make me feel fine!
20170715_100313.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Dale that shirt is so Aloha, you should wear it more often. The hat I love too, both the colour and the weave of the straw, it compliments the shirt a treat.

Fed, the woodies on your shirt has got to have some significance re spending your hard earned cash on the missus' car. Subtle or what?
What style do you call your shoes? They are known as saddle shoes in this side of the pond.

We've just got back from an exhausting vintage event, ten hours on our feet. But good fun though. My quandary of what to wear was resolved by the warm weather. My trousers and shirt are both made by Tina, as is Tina's dress and bolero.

Poole Quay 2017 004.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ