Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

Looking good Samuel, I must share an anecdote with you. Your bouquet of pencils reminded me of our local Chinese take=away restaurant. The young lady at the counter has always got a bunch of pens growing out of her hair. I might ask her next time if she would agree to being photographed. She wears her hair tied up and without any pockets, has nowhere to put her pens. The curious thing is though, whether she takes orders over the counter or the phone, she taps them straight into the touchscreen, negating the need of a pen.

Fabulous, you must let us have a clearer shot of that fine shirt.

The shirt that I wore to Summertime Swing has a new admirer. A retired police officer, a genial fellow, who threw a fabulous retirement party. He quietly let slip to his partner that he really loved my shirt. So, Alison, his partner, let my wife,Tina, know. And Tina can never resist surprising our friends. She bought three and a half yards of the same patterned material but in blue. It's not finished yet but here's a couple of shots of a work in progress. The first is the front of the shirt, the black fabric is called inter facing, it stiffens the lapel part of the shirt. It also gives the buttons strong support and the button holes too. In the second photo, I folded back the inter facing for you to see her work around the breast pocket. You can see all the care she takes at matching the pattern. You can also see the fabric detail. It's looking good.
View attachment 82861 View attachment 82862
As much as I liked that purple version, this blue is to die for!

Samuel

Practically Family
Wearing my Stetson Slev-Edge and Aloha Shirt; happy Sunday!

IMG_5789.JPG

Samuel

Practically Family
Looking good Samuel, I must share an anecdote with you. Your bouquet of pencils reminded me of our local Chinese take=away restaurant. The young lady at the counter has always got a bunch of pens growing out of her hair. I might ask her next time if she would agree to being photographed. She wears her hair tied up and without any pockets, has nowhere to put her pens. The curious thing is though, whether she takes orders over the counter or the phone, she taps them straight into the touchscreen, negating the need of a pen.

The shirt that I wore to Summertime Swing has a new admirer. A retired police officer, a genial fellow, who threw a fabulous retirement party. He quietly let slip to his partner that he really loved my shirt. So, Alison, his partner, let my wife,Tina, know. And Tina can never resist surprising our friends. She bought three and a half yards of the same patterned material but in blue. It's not finished yet but here's a couple of shots of a work in progress. The first is the front of the shirt, the black fabric is called inter facing, it stiffens the lapel part of the shirt. It also gives the buttons strong support and the button holes too. In the second photo, I folded back the inter facing for you to see her work around the breast pocket. You can see all the care she takes at matching the pattern. You can also see the fabric detail. It's looking good.
Bomb! That is a super sweet gesture!

Samuel

Practically Family

Also, that's an interesting anecdote. Hate to sound stereotypical, but I always think of Kung fu flicks when lady's wear pens, pencils, sharp objects hidden in their tresses.

Samuel

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments Guys, you are, as ever, generous to a fault. The MG shirt will get another airing today, we are dining out at The Old Beams and then onto Breamore House, for a gathering of classic MG's.
We are in a bit of a rush so I'm recycling and old photo. This outfit, but with the MG shirt. The MG owners haven't seen it and we are actually gatecrashing their event. Well not exactly, Breamore House is a stately home, their tea rooms are open to the public, that's where we shall be. The MG's will gather on the lawns in front of the main house, but they have to wander down to the tea rooms if they want refreshment. And their they will see our old lady.
View attachment 80653 View attachment 80654
Hecka cool outfit and beast car! I'm inspired!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind compliments guys, I have passed them on to the lady. Have to say, Red, I agree, I'm just a tad jealous, such a bold colour. Some time ago, Tina saw, in what we call a charity shop. (they are shops were people can take clothes and goods that they no longer use and donate them, the subsequent sale raises funds for the charity.) She saw an unloved pair of trousers, much too big for me. But by careful unpicking she was able to reduce the waist and backside size, and by raising the hem increase the bottom width, she also managed to turn up a reasonable cuff, but you have to look really close to see it, such is her work. Is the colour not the perfect partner for our friend's shirt? (But only if worn by me.)
trousers 005.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
For you, the work so far. It still needs to taper down, she does this by folding the material in and sewing it. That way, if in future a few extra pounds find their way onto the wearer's waist the stitching can be unpicked and the shirt let out. The sleeves, actually the cuffs, although it's short sleeved, the ends are reinforced with bias binding. Then all that's left is the hem line and the buttons and button holes.
gary's aloha shirt 001.JPG gary's aloha shirt 002.JPG gary's aloha shirt 003.JPG

For you, the work so far. It still needs to taper down, she does this by folding the material in and sewing it. That way, if in future a few extra pounds find their way onto the wearer's waist the stitching can be unpicked and the shirt let out. The sleeves, actually the cuffs, although it's short sleeved, the ends are reinforced with bias binding. Then all that's left is the hem line and the buttons and button holes.
View attachment 82993 View attachment 82994 View attachment 82995
This shirt is a thing of beauty! I like both color bases, purple and blue. I'm sure she keeps busy making creations for you, but maybe I should send my measurements for her free time.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This shirt is a thing of beauty! I like both color bases, purple and blue. I'm sure she keeps busy making creations for you, but maybe I should send my measurements for her free time.
The recipient will never know that Tina bought the material online from her favourite store in Honolulu. The material alone was expensive enough, but the shipping charges to the UK put yet more on the price. Then when it got here we had to pay an import duty. If you add twelve hours labour charge you can see why she only does it for pleasure. People simply are unaware of all the costs incurred.
What you guys should do is find yourselves a local dressmaker. You can search for your own fabrics, just Google Hawaiian faric stores in Hawaii.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Is this becoming a tutorial? Just the buttons to sew on. Look carefully to the right hand side and you will just make out the buttonholes, to the left are dress pins, inserted horizontally, these mark the button's exact position so that when finished, button and buttonhole line up perfectly. I might try it on when it's done.
gary's aloha shirt 001.JPG gary's aloha shirt 002.JPG

Samuel

Practically Family
View attachment 82993 View attachment 82994 View attachment 82995
Super

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You will have to explain what tie-dye means. It conjures up an image of old neck ties, that are no longer worn, being dipped in some sort of solution where they come out all freaky and psychedelic.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That shirt is amazing, I have never seen, or even heard of the process, other than painting and decorating. You can get a similar effect on the walls with what we call rag rolling.
rag rolling.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto