Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Head Shape Poll

Whats Your Head Shape?

• short oval

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • oval

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • long oval

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • extra long oval

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From above, my head is kind of egg-shaped. Essentially this creates gaps between my head and the hat between the sides of my forehead and the side of my head directly in front of the ears.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Art says I'm an egg shaped long oval.
here's a band block made from a tracing of my Art conformer.

bandblock4.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
James my friend you're mighty quick on the draw. If you get a nice even rub all way round it's oval. Gap on the sides long oval. Big gap on the sides ELO. Over simplified but you get the idea.
Tom D.

Big_e

Practically Family
In western hats, I'm what you call a round oval. That is, my head is wider from side to side (picture Charlie Brown) as opposed to normal people whose head has an oval from front to back.
Ernest

Woodfluter

Practically Family
St.Ignatz said:
It seems to me we have quite a few other than oval members. Where do you fall in?
ELO here.

Just for reference, I've read somewhere:
Length minus width =
5/8" for Round Oval
1-3/8" for Regular Oval
2-1/8" for Long Oval
2-7/8" for Extra Long Oval
3-5/8" for Extra Extra Long Oval

Mine's somewhere around 2-1/4". Egg-shaped? Perhaps oblate spheroid, with a stem...many eggheads in this lounge.

- Bill

suitedcboy

One Too Many
lop-sided egg shape extra long oval. Ain't no such thing as a flat -brimmed hat once it conforms to my noggin. Of course a custom conformateur patterned lid might fix this but I am no gaucho or Nevada Buckaroo and therefore have no need for flat brims.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm not positive, but I believe I may be a regular oval. I remember my size 59 Federation IV fitting a bit loose (pretty much all around) when I first got it, but not quite loose enough to put in the foam. It fits firmly on my head now, at this point.

I'm guessing I'd fall into the "short oval and somewhat egg-shaped" category. For example, when I put my Akubra Fed IV on my head the sides of my head push the crown outward slightly; not to the point of being uncomfortable in any way, but it does affect the shape of the front of the brim in a not-so-elegant manner.

donnc

One of the Regulars
Woodfluter said:
Just for reference, I've read somewhere:
Length minus width =
5/8" for Round Oval
1-3/8" for Regular Oval
2-1/8" for Long Oval
2-7/8" for Extra Long Oval
3-5/8" for Extra Extra Long Oval

Odd that it's independent of hat size.

The antique anthropological version, cephalic index is expressed as a percent ratio of width to length.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
donnc said:
Odd that it's independent of hat size.

I agree with you on that point. I have seen the chart posted above in a couple places but remain unconvinced. Can anyone tell us if there is truly an industry standard along these (or any) lines?

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I'm a regular oval, but the central front-to-back axis of that oval is shifted to the right.

In other words, when I put on a preshaped hat (non-open-crown) the front pinch is not in alignment with my nose; instead, it situates about an inch towards the right side of my face. Accordingly, the tighter the pinch, as well as the more downturn to the front brim, the more apparent it is that the whole hat is cocked to the side.

It's not so noticeable to most people until you point it out, then they say it's really obvious. When I bash an open crown hat, I can, of course, put the front crease and crown treatment in a perfect line with the center of my face, but then when you view the hat by itself, it looks like I screwed it up. My moonstone Fed IV Deluxe looks particularly "catawampus." I suppose I could get my preshaped hats reblocked similarly, but I just leave them as is.

The really weird thing is that this phenomenon did not manifest itself until a few years ago. Now all my old hats sit crooked on my head, too. No, I have not sustained a cranial injury or had brain surgery. But, there was that trip to Russia near Chernobyl...

Does anyone else here have this problem?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
When I put a hat on without a mirror, it always leans to one side like you describe. Then when I shift it to the center it feels really awkward. But I don't have that problem with my VS. [huh]

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I have a few "basic hats" which I would guess are Ovals. I also have a Wide Oval that I stretched a bit. Got a Stratton for $25.00 at Levine's. It's probably a factory second.

later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112