Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heart attack {Chief000731 Carl}

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Not worry, send me the size and color and style and I will make the hat for free..

Major Moore

That is an incredibly nice gesture, Maj. Moore. You know there are plenty of us who will be happy to contribute to the cost of the materials you'll use for Carl's hat.

Hey Sandi,

While this is undoubtedly a very difficult time for you all, please know that there are literally millions of people living full, satisfying lives post-heart attack and surgery. And they do so for decades and decades, in many cases. There are practical things Carl and his loved ones can do to improve his odds of attaining membership in that bunch, and maintaining it for a good long while.

I can recommend that once the immediate crisis is past -- the surgeries and initial recovery and all of that -- you put Carl and yourselves in touch with a patient support organization. If there's a Mended Hearts chapter in your area, you might consider joining. If not, their email support system works quite well. That's people who have been through what Carl is now experiencing and came out the other side in pretty darned good shape, really. For lots of folks (me among them) there is nothing quite like hearing from people who have been through all of this stuff years and years and years ago and are still going strong. Living, breathing examples reach me in ways statistics don't.

Also know that depression is quite common for a period following an event such as this. My typical response to the heart patients and their family members with whom I communicate goes something like, "Of course you're depressed. You just had a &$#^ing heart attack and then had your chest cracked open. This ain't exactly cheery stuff, you know. Indeed, if you weren't feeling at least a bit down by it, I'd question your grasp on reality."

Like the others here, I wish you well and will keep you in my thoughts. And please, do keep us posted.

Landman

One Too Many
Sandi, that is great news. I'm glad he is doing better. Baylor is a great facility too. You might want to look into the Ronald McDonald facilities in that area. They provide living accommodations close to hospitals for relatives with loved ones.

Major Moore, that is a first class gesture. I bet that hat will mean more to Carl than any hat ever made.

Landman

One Too Many
I just looked at the Ronald McDonald House website and I was incorrect. Apparently they are for families with sick children in the hospital. I thought they were for families with any aged sick loved one. Sorry for the confusion but I would have sworn a friend of mine's wife stayed in one while he was having some heart procedures. Maybe if they are not full they will take people in other situations.

MikePotts

Practically Family
You guys are neat, I'll be happy to chip in for Chief's new titfer too.
I recently gave a hat to a friend of mine, who is undergoing treatment for leukemia and when his hair fell out he became a convert - especially on those cool mornings!

MP

RBH

Bartender
Here is what Mike has completed thus far on Carls 'Get Well Fedora'.

Here in Mikes own words.

"Here is the open crown, 5 3/4", tear drop crown photo, brim has not been sanded or bound edge added.
Just thought you would like to see what I worked on today."

34681904.jpg

47108597.jpg

Well done!!!

Brando11

A-List Customer
My absolute best wishes to Chief, Sandi and family. As for the rest of you, I'm honored to be in your company.

Best-
-Brando

RBH

Bartender
I recieved this note from Sandi late last night.
I do not believe she would mind me posting it.

''Is that the hat Mr. Moore is making for Carl? That is simply BEAUTIFUL! The Chief will be very emotional over this whole thing, he is going to be so suprised you are all the best I cannot even to begin to thank you all for your kindness and generosity Carl is going to be so happy. He is going to be so proud of this hat it is the first custom made hat (first one that was ever made for him) Please let everyone know I am going to the hospital now and will be there until the surgery is over after we find out what is going on. I will post updates when I get them and when I can. Thank you all again so much your kindness, prayers, and generosity have made this situation a little easier for me (if that makes sense) I don't know how to express my thoughts or feelings right now I just hope you all know and understand what I am trying to say. Thank you Sandi. ''

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to say my prayers are going out to Carl and his entire family. Having just personally endured a heart attack and having to deal with surgery for other medical concerns, I know it is hard on the family and loved ones to have to wait and see how well recovery goes.

It is also very wonderful for the support the Fedora Lounge has extended to Carl and his Wife. I am sure everyone will continue to pray for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot