Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help choosing an aero, please.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Good Morning Folks,

After a lot of lurking here and looking on the aero site, I've decided to ask for some help in choosing an aero jacket.
Sorry, I know this must get asked a lot.

I want something I can wear every day for decades, except when it is really cold when I'll wear my winter coat (I live in the Netherlands BTW). I need to be able to wear a decent jumper over my shirt with it then, so nothing too tight.

I think I've seen a lot of people choosing jackets that don't really fit their body type and then making a lot of adjustments to try to make it work, with limited success. Correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore, I want to ask you in all your experience what would fit my body type.

I'm 5' 11" (180 cm), 180 lbs (82 kg), my suit jackets are 40 (short) and fit snug (maybe a bit small now). Haven't measured my waist in a long time, but I wear 32' jeans which are a little loose around the waist now. I've an athletic build, which I hope to improve upon.

Top of the list right now is probably the highwayman, for it's simplicity. Also really like the bootlegger, but it might be a bit flamboyant for me. A route 66 with modifications to the sleeves and back may also be an option. I reall like simple, versatile, timeless designs.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I want to go with tumbled CXL FQHH, but am open to other options.

Thank you for reading. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Furrowson

zebedee

One Too Many
Go for a Highwayman in brown FQHH. Button cuffs for fun and no inner pockets. Failing that, a Long Half Belt with no flap pockets in brown FQHH would also be great.

J.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If you want a Highwayman with a decent fit at the waist you might have to get a custom job where it is tapered down below the armholes. The design is essentially better suited for guys who don't have such a high drop between chest/shoulders and waist. I even had to taper down my 30s half belt which is supposed to fit quite a bit slimmer. My first standard jacket looked horrible. I could shove a melon underneath it. IMO it is not a good look when the hem is gaping away from the body when the jacket is zipped up. You should really find a stockist and try some jackets on or get a fit jacket from Thurston. Otherwise you could make an expensive mistake.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Thanks Zebedee.

I hadn't considered the Long Half Belt, nor a Highwayman with button cuffs. I should've said that I'm settled on brown already. Tumbled FQHH is just broken in already, as far as i know, right? Can anyone point me towards a picture of a button cuff HWM?

I suppose with a lighter lining the LHB would be good to go in any weather requiring a jacket... :) Definitely considering that now.

Cheers

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Thank you Rudie.

That is exactly what I feared. I don't want to go through Thurston due to the added cost, since I live in Europe, but indeed to get a jacket that doesn't fit is worse. How does it work with returns if that happens?
I was hoping that by choosing the right jacket and giving my measurements to the folks at aero it would work out well, but maybe I'll just have to go up to Galashiels when I'm in England for Christmas. Only a 6-7 hour drive! :D

Cheers

F

wdw

One Too Many
@Furrowson, I'd definitely recommend going out of your way to visit Aero, just so that you can get it right first time, but they'll probably be closed for two weeks over Christmas, so check before you go.

As for jackets, the Sheene is very highly regarded as a slim fit, with numerous threads here. And of course the Premier HWM, but just check the measurements carefully with Aero.

Why don't you get the jacket that you like? Like, one that isn't a compromise and one that won't bore you. You like the Bootlegger so why not just go with it?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hi Furrowson, welkom!
It really depends on the fit you're after. Having an athletic built I would recommend cafe racers, the boardracer or any other slim-fitting jackets.
If you want a jacket than can be worn here from March to October (with exception of june and july, depending on the dutch "summer") then I would recommend a FQHH (tumbled or not) and a Lochcarron lining.
It is worth visiting the guys at aero, I did it last spring.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
@wdw Thanks for the tip about the holidays. I'll, be sure to check they're open. I wanted to avoid doing this as I have very little time to see family when I'm home as it is, but needs must. If they're not open I'm a bit screwed though... I've seen the Sheene around here a lot but I don't see it on the aero site.

@Monitor Thanks for your advice. The problem is I really like so many of them and I just want one that's going to suit me and that I can wear every day... most days. I do like the Bootlegger, but I'm just not sure I'd find myself wearing it as much as others. I feel like it's more of a gamble.

@zebedee That really does look brilliant. Could definitely be the one.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Really appreciate it.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Hi Furrowson, welkom!
It really depends on the fit you're after. Having an athletic built I would recommend cafe racers, the boardracer or any other slim-fitting jackets.
If you want a jacket than can be worn here from March to October (with exception of june and july, depending on the dutch "summer") then I would recommend a FQHH (tumbled or not) and a Lochcarron lining.
It is worth visiting the guys at aero, I did it last spring.

Dankje Harris!

Cheers for the advice. I was already thinking FQHH + strome lining, depending a bit on the jacket. My only concern with going too slim fitting is not being able to layer underneath, which looks like the case with the cafe/board racers when they fit right. But I really don't know.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I don't know if it helps:
My chest measures 40inch, and last year I got me a 30's HB size 40.
I wear it from march to november, either with a plain shirt or a shirt plus a sweater (not very thick), it never felt uncomfortable.
I have the standard lochcarron, the strome will probably be too warm for spring.
You can see some pictures on the thread below:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-1930s-hb-and-premier-highwayman.83866/page-2

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
I don't know if it helps:
My chest measures 40inch, and last year I got me a 30's HB size 40.
I wear it from march to november, either with a plain shirt or a shirt plus a sweater (not very thick), it never felt uncomfortable.
I have the standard lochcarron, the strome will probably be too warm for spring.
You can see some pictures on the thread below:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-1930s-hb-and-premier-highwayman.83866/page-2

Harris, thank you. That's very helpful indeed and your 30s HB is gorgeous and suits you magnificently. You got that through aero without a fit jacket, or going there?

Well, at least I'm pretty darn sure I want FQHH and a mid weight Lochcarron lining. Progress!

Cheers

F

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Harris, thank you. That's very helpful indeed and your 30s HB is gorgeous and suits you magnificently. You got that through aero without a fit jacket, or going there?

Well, at least I'm pretty darn sure I want FQHH and a mid weight Lochcarron lining. Progress!

Cheers

F

No, I ordered it online from Aero, no fit jacket, this was my second Aero. The first one is more or less a gamble (the Mariner, luckily enough it worked perfectly for me), for your second one you know where to emphasize!
The guys at Aero know what they are doing, you will get good advice. If you have another leather jacket you like then I would measure it (pit to pit, shoulders, sleeve length) and then get an idea what size I should get from Aero.
Last week I pulled a trigger on my fourth aero (and damn, once again I started thinking about my next one). Leave this forum while you can, it will destroy your bank account!

Thanks for your advice. The problem is I really like so many of them and I just want one that's going to suit me and that I can wear every day... most days. I do like the Bootlegger, but I'm just not sure I'd find myself wearing it as much as others. I feel like it's more of a gamble.

They're all really brilliant, aren't they. :) But yes, I just feel that at this price range, compromise is not something one should have in mind. If you're paying as much for the jacket, I believe you ought to get one you truly like - but yes, sometimes wearing it proves to be a bit more difficult than you had thought when you bought it. Been there. :)
But yeah, Bootlegger in Cordovan or brown is a relatively tame design without being boring, and the best part is you won't find anything even remotely similar hanging at the mall mannequins. It's a slim fit jacket that fits like a dream. Just check out the photos of it.

Route 66 is a bit boxier than the Bootlegger. My absolute favorite would also be the August. Also a slimmer fit jacket with fantastic detailing all around, and action back. I find it the prettiest jacket on Aero's site. Can't say I've seen it in the wild, though.

18534bb937dc3c1_August%20front-500.jpg

236534bb950a1ce8_August%20back-500.jpg

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
No, I ordered it online from Aero, no fit jacket, this was my second Aero. The first one is more or less a gamble (the Mariner, luckily enough it worked perfectly for me), for your second one you know where to emphasize!
The guys at Aero know what they are doing, you will get good advice. If you have another leather jacket you like then I would measure it (pit to pit, shoulders, sleeve length) and then get an idea what size I should get from Aero.
Last week I pulled a trigger on my fourth aero (and damn, once again I started thinking about my next one). Leave this forum while you can, it will destroy your bank account!

Haha yes I have seen some people here getting rather carried away in their pursuit of 'perfection'. I will do my best not to do the same and frankly I cannot afford to. What did you go for this time? I don't have any leather jacket currently, I'm afraid :(

That does make me feel better about going through aero online, but if I can get over there I will.
I think a HWM is too risky for me now. After reading these replies I'm definitely leaning towards something slimmer/more tapered.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Haha yes I have seen some people here getting rather carried away in their pursuit of 'perfection'. I will do my best not to do the same and frankly I cannot afford to. What did you go for this time? I don't have any leather jacket currently, I'm afraid :(

That does make me feel better about going through aero online, but if I can get over there I will.
I think a HWM is too risky for me now. After reading these replies I'm definitely leaning towards something slimmer/more tapered.

I ordered a long half belt with shearling lining, I wish I had it today being that cold.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
They're all really brilliant, aren't they. :) But yes, I just feel that at this price range, compromise is not something one should have in mind. If you're paying as much for the jacket, I believe you ought to get one you truly like - but yes, sometimes wearing it proves to be a bit more difficult than you had thought when you bought it. Been there. :)
But yeah, Bootlegger in Cordovan or brown is a relatively tame design without being boring, and the best part is you won't find anything even remotely similar hanging at the mall mannequins. It's a slim fit jacket that fits like a dream. Just check out the photos of it.

Route 66 is a bit boxier than the Bootlegger. My absolute favorite would also be the August. Also a slimmer fit jacket with fantastic detailing all around, and action back. I find it the prettiest jacket on Aero's site. Can't say I've seen it in the wild, though.

18534bb937dc3c1_August%20front-500.jpg

236534bb950a1ce8_August%20back-500.jpg

Monitor, the August was the very first jacket I clicked on when I went on aero's site and totally agree it is a beaut! Still catches my eye every time. My gf shot it down immediately haha. I think she just thought the leather was too light and the back too complicated - bah! I think I've been a bit put off by not seing any 'in the wild', as you say.

I really appreciate your wisdom on this and I shouldn't be too timid. AH man I can't believe I wrote off the August so blithely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana