Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identify Bomber mission clocks...????

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
A friend offered these to me, he was told they were USAAF bomber "time to target" and "total mission time" clocks. They have no Mil Spec markings. No data plates, Just two matching, ordinary pocket watches and cool looking case. The instruction booklet in the case, I did not remove due to condition, has a Manufacture label as being M R Thoma Boonville, MO.
If I recall, the navigator and bombadier staions both had aircraft clocks at their stations. The USAAF had a navigators pocket watch, both clearly marked with spec numbers all, this piece has me scratching my head, and leading me the old line...buy the piece not the story....You can see the mounting plate does have two brackets on the backside where the piece might attach to a more stable mount...Any guesses or facts on this?

The metal carrying case can be seen at the top of the photo, the lid is secured with a small set screw (missing)..

Last edited:

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I am sure that the wathes are not original to the holder. St Regis were low-end "dollar watches". I would imagine that since the portion of the instructions that are showing says "watches on stop when not in use" it held stopwatches or chronographs since they would have a stop feature.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Kiwi,

Thanks for that.. I did find info on Regis and they did seem rather common....So maybe the case is GI..it is well constructed..but still dont think it is USAAF....
Thanks!

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
The idea of usig a knife to remove the locking ring does not sound quite milspec. The mount does not have the quality that is seen in navigation watc cases

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Agreed, and I can find nothing on USAF or USAAF navigator or bombadier using two clocks that were carried....not that it didnt or couldnt happen,,,but I do not believe this piece to be mil issue...bummer because the case is kinda neat...
thanks for the help...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch