Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me buy a leather jacket!

Gint

New in Town
Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Basically I turned 30 this week, and want to mark it with investing in a serious leather jacket.

I have a hankering for a Belstaff, I do like the new ones such as the Stannard and the Outlaw, but to be honest, the price for something like that is a real turnoff. I think famous people only wear them cause they are given to them!

With that in mind, I would rather spend the money on something a little more worth it, so thinking Langlitz or Vanson. I am interested in a more cafe style jacket and its not for riding on my Ducati.

I do like the Vanson Chopper, but I am not sure if I am totally sold on the diagonal zipper. I do like the Langlitz Cascade and I have seen that they do it with a straight zipper as an option.

So...im a bit lost, haha. Hence why I am turning to the wisdom of you guys to help me buy something fancy and nice to soften the blow of getting old!

Thanks for the help.

Ozarkian

New in Town
Hello folks. I too am a n00b and in the market for a good quality leather jacket.

Instead of starting yet another thread I think I'll just follow along in Gints here.

My plan is to start with a nice A-2 for general wear and then perhaps later get a B-3 for cold weather.

I've looked at Simmons and US Wings thus far.

Stand By

One Too Many
Hello folks. I too am a n00b and in the market for a good quality leather jacket.

Instead of starting yet another thread I think I'll just follow along in Gints here.

My plan is to start with a nice A-2 for general wear and then perhaps later get a B-3 for cold weather.

I've looked at Simmons and US Wings thus far.

Welcome Ozarkian - and Gints too!
As Gints is asking about a civilian jacket, I'll leave that to the many others around here who have tonnes of experience and keen interest in that genre - it's not my field as a rule.
As for military A2's, Ozarkian, well, you've never been more spoilt for choice! There's a jacket out there for everyone of varying degrees of authenticity and at every price point (some desire historical perfection and gladly pay for that. It matters less to others and money is an issue - and I get that. But you can still get a good A2 that you won't be afraid of wearing in the wet and knock about a bit, if that's your lifestyle and preference).
I would recommend that you start by looking at as many companies as possible and contact each company you're drawn to and request some leather swatches - and as well as seeing and getting a tactile appreciation for the leathers, it will give you an opportunity to assess their customer service - and, as in life, some people you naturally gravitate to and others perhaps less so, and that can sometimes be a/the determining factor as to who you hand over some savings to. In that way, you can gauge for yourself how much authenticity matters to you and how much bang you want/need for your buck (or Pound or Euro).
The hunt is a very enjoyable one and it's very exciting - and you'll learn a lot as you go. Enjoy!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wecome aboard.... I started out the same way a few years back. "Just an A2" and mebbe something for the winter.... LOL what a long strange trip it's been. For civilian jackets Johnson Leather, Vanson and perhaps Aero are good makes at an affordable price. Military.... the price and quality range from the sublime to the ridiculous. If you know your measurements you could by "used" here or on the Bay, I've scored some marvelous jackets that way. Either way you go if you're "patient" and allow yourself to learn from other's mistakes... you'll do just fine....

Worf

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I've never seen a Belstaff firsthand, but to me they are overpriced, and several in this forum have expressed that they're nothing special in terms of construction or quality, and are more fashion-expensive than they are function-expensive.

In terms of fit, a custom Langlitz built to your measurements is the absolute best there is. You do pay for it.

The price of a Langlitz goes into quality, but I'd say about half of the price goes into custom fitting. You can get a good quality used Langlitz off of eBay for around half the price of new ($500-600), but the downside is that it's not guaranteed that what's available in the secondhand market will fit you exactly.

I'm lucky in that my body shape is close to statistically average (5'10", 170lbs, 42" chest, 24" sleeves, 26-28" body length), so there's a lot out there that fits me, but it can be tough to trust the measurements given by a seller who may not know what they're doing. Still, I've picked up a few that I've been very happy with, for much less than new.

But you do have to be willing to accept less than perfect, and compromise a bit. The good news is that if you get something you don't like, it holds its resale value, so you can sell your mistakes to fund another roll of the dice.

I think that in terms of looks/style, Langlitz is better than Vanson, but they have fewer styles to choose from. Vanson offer more variety in style, but a lot of their offerings look like 70's leather daddy wear, and I'd feel ridiculous in some of their offerings, but I guess that's what some people want and more power to them. They do make some great practical jackets and pants for motorcycle riding, though. You can do custom orders through Vanson.

I haven't fallen in love with Schott jackets -- in my experience they can vary quite a bit, and I'm not sure why that is, but maybe it's the era in which they were made. Some feel very heavy and thick, while others feel thin and not that special. A good Schott is good, but it's hard to identify one in a picture, so I tend to avoid them unless I can handle in person before buying.

Diagonal zippers are cool. Especially if you're a rider. That extra layer of leather really keeps the wind out and is a second layer of protection should you go down. I guess if you don't want to look like a biker, maybe avoid, but if you do ride, that's the style I prefer.

I think if you could get a custom fit Langlitz that was built to accept modern CE rated armor pads in the elbows and shoulders, that would probably be the best of the best for riding.

For fitting, nothing substitutes actually trying the jackets on in person, but if you know your measurements, it's hard to go wrong. Get yourself measured by a tailor who knows what they're doing, and know what measurements work for you. If you have a jacket that fits you well, get the measurements of it, as well. Memorize them. If you can visit the maker, or a well reputed store that sells them, and have them measure you, do it.

Keep in mind that what you wear under the jacket will affect how the jacket fits, so whether you want to layer or not will matter. If you like to wear bulky sweaters, and want to be able to, you'll want to give yourself a few additional inches. If you want a tighter fitting jacket that is form fitting, you'll have less options about what you can wear under it. This is one of the main reasons to have more than one :)

Gint

New in Town
Thanks for the help guys.

Im really digging the Schott 141 or 641, as its for everyday kind of use I am interested in peoples experience in how they fit. I would like a snug, modern fit, and I understand that the 641 is the slimmer of the 2?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just be aware that if you're buying a Belstaff, you're paying for their hyper-expensive shop positions and advertising campaigns. None of the most popular makes here advertise at all, and in the case of Lost Worlds an almost anti-advertising campaign is pursued, so you know that, at the very least, your cash isn't being frittered away on unnecessary stuff.

Gint

New in Town
Im thinking Belstaff are out of my selection equation if I am honest.

Ill give them credit, their advertising worked on me! Swines!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've never been really impressed with the Belstaff jackets I've handled, though I think there's a difference between their biking ones and fashion line. You might want to consider Johnson as well, if you're based in the US, and Aero's sale page is always worth keeping an eye on for a nice second hand or blue label bargain, especially for A-2s and B-3s.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Go back to my posts of March of 2012. Everyone started fresh/new at one point so no shame and welcome! Some guys were in the scene well before either of us were mapped out in a honeymoon hotel in the Cayman Islands...

With that said, I'd be looking at a Diamond Dave in a Shinki hide. Or if you're stateside, using the sage sizing advice from Thurston Bros will ensure you end up with a good fit. Enjoy the ride.

Stand By

One Too Many
Just be aware that if you're buying a Belstaff, you're paying for their hyper-expensive shop positions and advertising campaigns. None of the most popular makes here advertise at all, and in the case of Lost Worlds an almost anti-advertising campaign is pursued, so you know that, at the very least, your cash isn't being frittered away on unnecessary stuff.

And after what I said earlier, Sloan made a good point here, Ozarkian; that if you like the look of LW jackets, you can ask for samples of swatches but the proprietor no longer mails them out (so no cash being frittered away there then, either!) - but I'd say in all fairness that that doesn't necessarily mean that you should automatically disqualify Lost Worlds as a potential choice as the jackets do have a certain reputation (along with the owner) and many people love them.

Ozarkian

New in Town
So, obviously lambskin and horsehide are a bit higher than just steerhide, is the additional cost money well spent?

Damo

A-List Customer
Thanks again for the help guys.

Right now I am leaning towards the Schott 641.

Welcome to the club!!! My advice for you is to turn around run away and never visit this site again. You'll be a lot richer if you do..

Seriously tho, I have a 141. It was my first jacket and I really do love it. I like how it can be worn year round because of the zip out liner. The naked leather is great, soft, pliable and smells amazing!!

My only gripe with all schott jackets is the cut. Others don't like their sleeve lengths but my size 40 141 works for me. There is not much of a drop from chest to stomach in all of schotts jackets. They are said to have the "American cut". If you are looking for a tapered jacket you will probably need to have it tailored.

I see you mentioned earlier that the 641 is a slimmer cut. Be careful with what they say, when I compare the measurement charts for the 641 vs 141 the drop from chest to waist is just about the same.

I haven't handled the 641 but I hear lots of good things about it. Does well in the rain and gets better looking with age. It doesn't have the zip out liner which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you want.

I really do like Schott's Cafe racers. They look good on and off the bike. Quality is great. If you haven't already done so I strongly suggest before you buy a Schott go to legendaryusa.com and compare your measurements to the 641, or 141 size charts. Don't go with their suggestions of ordering a siZe up or same suit size. I have a 42" chest and if I bought a size 42 141 I'd be swimming in it. I went with a size 40 and I probably could squeeze into a 38.

Also don't discount vanson either!! They are great quality and also great value. I prefer the look of a Schott cafe over vanson but you really can't go wrong either way. I also own a chopper so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck with your first purchase!

Last edited:

Gint

New in Town
Welcome to the club!!! My advice for you is to turn around run away and never visit this site again. You'll be a lot richer if you do..

Seriously tho, I have a 141. It was my first jacket and I really do love it. I like how it can be worn year round because of the zip out liner. The naked leather is great, soft, pliable and smells amazing!!

My only gripe with all schott jackets is the cut. Others don't like their sleeve lengths but my size 40 141 works for me. There is not much of a drop from chest to stomach in all of schotts jackets. They are said to have the "American cut". If you are looking for a tapered jacket you will probably need to have it tailored.

I see you mentioned earlier that the 641 is a slimmer cut. Be careful with what they say, when I compare the measurement charts for the 641 vs 141 the drop from chest to waist is just about the same.

I haven't handled the 641 but I hear lots of good things about it. Does well in the rain and gets better looking with age. It doesn't have the zip out liner which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you want.

I really do like Schott's Cafe racers. They look good on and off the bike. Quality is great. If you haven't already done so I strongly suggest before you buy a Schott go to legendaryusa.com and compare your measurements to the 641, or 141 size charts. Don't go with their suggestions of ordering a siZe up or same suit size. I have a 42" chest and if I bought a size 42 141 I'd be swimming in it. I went with a size 40 and I probably could squeeze into a 38.

Also don't discount vanson either!! They are great quality and also great value. I prefer the look of a Schott cafe over vanson but you really can't go wrong either way. I also own a chopper so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck with your first purchase!

That site you linked is great! Have you bought from them before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana