Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me date these ties

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
Got these recently at the thrift store:

DSC_1396.jpg

DSC_1397.jpg

DSC_1398.jpg

I think the first two are '30s-ish because they're short, very lightweight compared to ties I know are from the '50s and '60s, and are widely tapered like my '30s/'40s Wembley. I'm not sure what to make of the gold one, though. The tail on it is thinner, even though it's fairly short, too, but it has stitching on the outside of the bottom, something I usually only see on '20s/'30s ties. The gold one also has backing inside it that is much thicker than the other two.

I bought them cause I thought they were old, but I really like the pattern on the brown one. I think the first two will work well with my '20s collars I got recently.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The first one is possibly '30s, but without seeing the backside and feeling the fabric itself (typically, ties of the '30s were brocade, moving to printed rayon later in the decade). The second one is either very late '40s or early '50s. The last one might be a product of a brief '60s revival of '30s style ties. They were brocade and shared the dimensions of '30s ties, but unlike '30s ties, they were lined and padded in typical '60s fashion. I have one, and it's difficult to tell until you flip it over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana