Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Find a Leather Jacket by Color

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Years ago, and one size smaller, I had a leather waist-length jacket that was a reddish-brown color. It wasn't brown and it wasn't burgundy and it wasn't cordovan. The problem I have is naming the color. If I knew the color name, I could probably search for it. As it is, I don't have a clue as to how to begin. The last time I visited a leather apparel store, they had black, brown and "red" (burgundy) jackets, but nothing like what I was seeking.

Perhaps the best way I can describe the color is to say that on first glance it looks like a medium brown, but then you see the reddish highlights in it.

Is this confusing? When looking at color codes online, I find something like this, but perhaps a little darker: http://www.color-hex.com/color/431000

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:

tropicalbob

You might want to take a look at the Thurston Bros. threads on this forum. They have some very nice photos of Aero's various leathers. One reason I mention them is that my Aero LHB in CXL HH is brown but has very nice reddish highlights, depending on the light.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Perhaps what you are looking for is those Redskin colour on B-3, B-6 etc.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=79
Rainbow country has names for all those different shades of brown they use. Ox Blood, Maroon.....
http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=113316612#
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/three-eight/item/rcl-10030-maroon/
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/porkys/item/10003266/

Yes, the Aero and Mushmans are very close. The Mushman without the liner and semi-striated look is pretty darn close! I'm going to check into them. Thanks!

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Yes, the Aero and Mushmans are very close. The Mushman without the liner and semi-striated look is pretty darn close! I'm going to check into them. Thanks!
Too late to edit my response post, so I'm adding this one. I took a closer look at the Aero "Real Deal" 42-15142-P Type A-2 Unmatched Horsehide, and I think this may be it! They offer two colors, so I've sent them a question regarding the difference between "seal" and "russet." Could be I'm adding this once I hear from them.

Peacoat

Bartender
The seal is darker and the russet has more red in it. The Aero CXL brown is one of the best looking hides around.

Aero or Thurston will send you some samples so you can actually handle the hides. Much better than simply looking at pictures.

Good luck in your search.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I would like to thank everyone here, and @Blackadder in particular, for pointing me to the Aero Leathers site. Having perused it, and then having contacted the company, their very responsive Dominick informed me that the A-2 in russet jerky is indeed, the color (and the jacket) I was looking for. He informed me that they have a "real deal" alternative, which uses unmatched horsehides for £45 (about US$60) less. This is the jacket I used to own, but I think now in my dotage I might as well go for the works! Dominick said there is a 10-12 week wait as they are out of stock currently. That puts it early March 2018 for delivery. I can wait.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The seal is darker and the russet has more red in it. The Aero CXL brown is one of the best looking hides around.

Aero or Thurston will send you some samples so you can actually handle the hides. Much better than simply looking at pictures.

Good luck in your search.
I have been an outspoken advocate on the Lounge for Aero's Vicenza, particularly seal Vicenza that is somewhere between russet Vicenza and dark brown Vicenza. My FQHH CXL brown Teamster has reddish undertones and, as @Peacoat said, is one of the best looking hides around but somewhat heavy as it is packed with waxes and tanned differently (chrome) than mid weight (veg) horsehide. My mid weight seal jerky Mulligan appears more of a darker shade of brown, and I don't see any reddish tones underneath. My russet Vicenza Sheene has more underlying red than anything else I own. However, the greatest difference between between my mid weight seal jerky Mulligan and russet Vicenza Sheene is that the look, feel, and drape of the Sheene is far superior to that of the Mulligan, as the mid weight seal jerky is much stiffer and blah looking compared to the russet Vicenza.

When I pulled out my Aero samples of various skins, I noted the following: The sample of russet Vicenza appeared somewhat darker than that used on my Sheene. The sample of seal Vicenza was nice but not nearly as nice as that used on a seal Vicenza Premier Highwayman sent to me awhile back that was too tight for me to keep. The dark brown Vicenza sample appeared almost black until placed alongside a sample of black Vicenza. My sample of mid weight seal jerky did seem nicer and more flexible than that used on my Mulligan.

The point I am trying to make here is that samples are worthwhile having but don't necessarily tell the whole story, whereas the whole jacket lets one see a far greater part of the elephant. Anyhow I hope my limited experience might allow the op to see a greater part of the elephant (or horse :D).

Blackadder

I would like to thank everyone here, and @Blackadder in particular, for pointing me to the Aero Leathers site. Having perused it, and then having contacted the company, their very responsive Dominick informed me that the A-2 in russet jerky is indeed, the color (and the jacket) I was looking for. He informed me that they have a "real deal" alternative, which uses unmatched horsehides for £45 (about US$60) less. This is the jacket I used to own, but I think now in my dotage I might as well go for the works! Dominick said there is a 10-12 week wait as they are out of stock currently. That puts it early March 2018 for delivery. I can wait.

You are welcome.

On top of what Fanch says, colour on different pieces of leather tanned and dyed in the same manner will sometimes be different not to mention different batches.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You are welcome.

On top of what Fanch says, colour on different pieces of leather tanned and dyed in the same manner will sometimes be different not to mention different batches.
True that ... horses and courses ... ;)

OldStrummer

Practically Family
You are welcome.

Oh, absolutely! In fact, Dominick was careful to indicate that the "real deal" contained "unmatched" horsehide, which could/would cause color differences in the finished product. This was, in fact, the look of the original I had many years ago. Give the price difference today, I think I'll go with all matched leather! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto