Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed to identify my newly acquired Stetson Fedora!

cowgirl67

New in Town
I came across this Stetson 3X beaver trilby recently and couldn't resist buying it! I just love staring at it. Most of my information to this point has been obtained by the wonderful information posted by Warner Todd Huston here http://www.publiusforum.com/2011/01/01/dating-stetsons-company-crests-hat-liners/. All of the identifiers point to 1930s. The size tag is black and gold on manilla paper, the sweatband ends are sewn together, the Stetson logo has the maple leaf on the left side of the crest (rather than the flag). There is a store tag under the sweatband that has the following information: 45/HK, 9128, 3x B, $15.95.

Here are my questions:
1. What do 45/HK and 9128 on the store tag stand for?
2. Several owners describe this beaver fur as long hair. Is that the correct term?
3. There is no ribbon or hatband. Did Stetson make any without one? There are no signs that one has been there and removed.
4. There is a natural curve around the edges but no creases indicating the top has been anything but dome shaped. Is this how the hat is meant to be worn or can someone provide a photo of what it should look like?

The pictures may not show it accurately, but the true color is dark brown. Having a ball learning about vintage hats! Retired from my job recently and was looking for something new. Think I've found it! DSC_0226_798x701.jpg DSC_0224_798x854.jpg DSC_0220_798x1197.jpg DSC_0219_798x1197.jpg DSC_0217_798x1197.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0216_798x1197.jpg
    DSC_0216_798x1197.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0215_798x1197.jpg
    DSC_0215_798x1197.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0213_798x1197.jpg
    DSC_0213_798x1197.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC_0211_798x532.jpg
    DSC_0211_798x532.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 259

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
All of the identifiers point to 1930s. The size tag is black and gold on manilla paper, the sweatband ends are sewn together, the Stetson logo has the maple leaf on the left side of the crest (rather than the flag).
I would say, that everything points to the mid-50s or early 60s. I don't see any gold on the size tag - just yellowed card stock. In any case, the maple leaf place it much later than the 30s. Taking the brim width into consideration, I'm pretty convinced about the 60s.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I think very late 50s to early 60s

judging by the size tag , the tip crest , the sweat , price and style all point to somewhere that is most likely early 60s

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
As for shaping it, I'd suspect that it was not intended to be worn open crown -- that the seller, or the new owner, would be expected to bash or shape it into the owner's preferred style. Unless it was a bowler or something like that. Is the hat's dome, the crown, hard and shell-like, or soft and malleable?

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
Even by the site you posted that hat would be late 50s early 60s.
3X means it is fur felt, but maybe not a whole lot of beaver if it has any at all. But I've never seen any reliable way to tell for sure.
I'd bet you are right that someone took off the ribbon. Often Stetson put a self-felt ribbon on hats like that.
As to shaping it... you can do what ever you want with it. I'd bet it will take a crease well.

cowgirl67

New in Town
As for shaping it, I'd suspect that it was not intended to be worn open crown -- that the seller, or the new owner, would be expected to bash or shape it into the owner's preferred style. Unless it was a bowler or something like that. Is the hat's dome, the crown, hard and shell-like, or soft and malleable?

soft and malleable. It doesn't have the firmness needed for a bowler. Any idea if a hatband is missing or if Stetsons did not always come with one?

cowgirl67

New in Town
I would say, that everything points to the mid-50s or early 60s. I don't see any gold on the size tag - just yellowed card stock. In any case, the maple leaf place it much later than the 30s. Taking the brim width into consideration, I'm pretty convinced about the 60s.

Thank you for the insight. I will write 100 times, I will not stay up ALL night long looking for really cool hat info! With much clearer eyes, it is indeed manilla card stock and no gold is on the size tag.

cowgirl67

New in Town
Even by the site you posted that hat would be late 50s early 60s.
3X means it is fur felt, but maybe not a whole lot of beaver if it has any at all. But I've never seen any reliable way to tell for sure.
I'd bet you are right that someone took off the ribbon. Often Stetson put a self-felt ribbon on hats like that.
As to shaping it... you can do what ever you want with it. I'd bet it will take a crease well.

Late night research is not my friend :( This is indeed what I read and still didn't realize that my conclusions contradicted what I had read. It looks great any number of ways as the urge to shape and reshape has taken over!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
In any case you've found yourself a great hat. My first couple of fedoras were not close the quality you've found.

The learning curve may seem a little steep, but that shouldn't discourage you. Finding, collecting and appreciating vintage hats is a wonderful hobby.

You also shouldn't be discouraged if we sometimes come across in a little blasé way. A lot of us have been collecting for many years, and the conversation can easily become very "inside". The fact is, that we love our hobby and love to welcome and help newcomers to our addiction.

Keep up the good work ;)

Jake Willis

New in Town
I came across this Stetson 3X beaver trilby recently and couldn't resist buying it! I just love staring at it. Most of my information to this point has been obtained by the wonderful information posted by Warner Todd Huston here http://www.publiusforum.com/2011/01/01/dating-stetsons-company-crests-hat-liners/. All of the identifiers point to 1930s. The size tag is black and gold on manilla paper, the sweatband ends are sewn together, the Stetson logo has the maple leaf on the left side of the crest (rather than the flag). There is a store tag under the sweatband that has the following information: 45/HK, 9128, 3x B, $15.95.

Here are my questions:
1. What do 45/HK and 9128 on the store tag stand for?
2. Several owners describe this beaver fur as long hair. Is that the correct term?
3. There is no ribbon or hatband. Did Stetson make any without one? There are no signs that one has been there and removed.
4. There is a natural curve around the edges but no creases indicating the top has been anything but dome shaped. Is this how the hat is meant to be worn or can someone provide a photo of what it should look like?

The pictures may not show it accurately, but the true color is dark brown. Having a ball learning about vintage hats! Retired from my job recently and was looking for something new. Think I've found it! View attachment 48073 View attachment 48074 View attachment 48075 View attachment 48076 View attachment 48077
I won't pretend to be an expert on era and all that, but it does have the rugged appearance of long fur beaver. I'd say what you've found is an old bowler hat. These were meant to be worn with the top left as it is, but if you prefer, you can shape an open crown any way that suits your fancy.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I won't pretend to be an expert on era and all that, but it does have the rugged appearance of long fur beaver. I'd say what you've found is an old bowler hat. These were meant to be worn with the top left as it is, but if you prefer, you can shape an open crown any way that suits your fancy.

it is not a bowler hat ... bowler hats have hard shell like crowns that cannot be bashed

what she has is an open crown fedora from the late '50s or 1960s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk