Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed with vintage (repro) scout uniform

Mike K.

One Too Many
It has been many long years since I was a Boy Scout, but I am taking steps to once again get involved with scouting...this time as a troop leader. I would like to put together a vintage scout leader's uniform and would greatly appreciate any advice, recommended websites or books, etc. for putting together such a uniform. Thank you kindly!
bp_col.gif

Feraud

Bartender
I would start by looking at an old Boy Scout book. That should show the standard uniform. The internet must have many old photos available.
Show us your results.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Got plenty of old books, photos, etc. I supposed what I'm really after are sources for reproduction uniform pieces. One can find a decent quantity of scout uniforms, but not usually scout leader uniforms. I've read that perhaps some repro military uniforms, specifically British or Australian, are close copies to the old scout uniforms. Were adult scouter uniforms of the early 1900s actually surplus military articles?

MB5

One of the Regulars
From what I understand (and am able to remember), the Scout uniforms were based on the Uniform Lord Baden-Powell used to wear, but were designed specifically for scouting. I think the 5th or 6th edition of the handbook has a good history of the uniform development in it.

This link may be useful to you.
http://www.inquiry.net/uniforms/traditional/b-p_uniform.htm

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Let me see what I can find. I happen to work at the National Office (an insider ;) ) I know we have several photos of Bayden Powell in uniform, I'll post any good ones I can find and any info I can find out for you. But I think you are correct that most of the unifroms at that time were British military surplus. I'll get back to you!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thanks so much! So far, the only supplier of British-style uniforms that I've been able to locate is What Price Glory. However, their line of WWII khaki drill & jungle green uniforms don't seem to be the correct pattern (especially the trousers). I'm not sure if the color is correct either. I'll be searching the internet, but if anybody can point me in the correct direction for WWI or WWII repro uniforms I'd certainly appreciate it. Also, would it matter about the material? Twill, wool, etc.? I imagine that there probably were no strict guidelines.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I think I'm making some headway on this endeavor, but it looks as though my best option is to get some khaki twill uniforms from WWII Impressions and dye them the appropriate shade of olive green, then add the scout patches.

Any suggestions on where/how to get the correct shade of OD Green dye?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana