Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with typewritter ribbon!

beth

Familiar Face
I am getting married in just a couple of weeks. We had purchased a typewriter on Ebay. The seller said he thought it was a working typewriter (might have been where my mistake was made) so I bought it. I also purchased ribbon on Ebay too. My typewriter is a grey Singer. I get frustrated every time I try to put the ribbon in it. Will someone walk me through placing it in the typewriter as well as basic instructions on how to use it? I'm hoping the typewriter itself is fine.

Sorry if there is already a similar post!!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Which Singer is it? Singer didn't make its own typewriters so it is either a Smith Corona or a Royal. Royal made them in the mid to late 60s: Aristocrats and Safari body styles. The ribbon is pretty easy for those. The Smith Coronas I don't know as well because I don't have one. The SCs were Sterling/Silent bodies and Skywriters. I'm sure that I could figure it out. Can you post an image?

beth

Familiar Face
Post a few photos. Typewriter ribbons and installing them is fairly generic, but it can be a fiddly process.

Thanks both of you! I have not really played a typewriter since a child so I am nervous about breaking it.

I have always thought of Singer as sewing, so that would make sense. I will look at what kind it is tomorrow.

Also having difficulty adding more photos, but I'll eventually add one of the ribbon

Attachments

• 20140925_111347.jpg
    20140925_111347.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 20140925_111424.jpg
    20140925_111424.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SINGER which made typewriters (AND automobiles) is an entirely different company from that which made sewing machines?

beth

Familiar Face
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SINGER which made typewriters (AND automobiles) is an entirely different company from that which made sewing machines?

You are probably right. I did some brief internet searching on Singer tpewriters and didn't find much.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Beth if I remember correctly and judging from the photos....spool with ribbon goes on the left stud/wheel. Then take the ribbon go to the right of the stud and then behind the finger on the carriage. Then thread it straight through where the key strikes the ribbon and behind the right hand finger. After that take the ribbon to the left of the other stud and onto the take up spool. I have no idea if those are the correct terms for the parts I am using. But from second picture it looks like you had it correctly mounted just not tight enough.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko