Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henna hair dying

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
Hello

I just wondered if any of you had used henna for their hair?

I'm looking at using the Caca Rouge from Lush.

Has anyone used it or got any good tips??

thanks
Ali xx:)

Josephine

One Too Many
Lil' Miss A said:
Does it go quite red?

Yes and no. :) It's a dark auburn on my ash brown hair, and a vivid strawberry red on my grey. Here's a pic of me in the sun, it usually isn't that vibrant indoors:

06032006PartyA.gif

I have to admit that I think, as I'm not familiar on how to use the bar, compared to using Lush's bar, using henna powder is a pain. You have to mix the henna, let it sit for 12 hours or so, glop it on your hair, wrap it up in saran wrap for 3+ hours, then rinse it out which takes awhile. But I think it's worth it. :)

Rosie

One Too Many
If you have dyed your hair using traditional dyes, don't use a boxed henna, it may turn your hair green or dry it out to the point where it breaks off.

Only use art grade henna on your hair.

Boxed hennas aren't pure hennas and use metallics to bind the henna to your hair, resulting in some pretty bad things for your hair.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

IMG_0022-2.jpg

me henna-ed

kerry

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
If you have dyed your hair using traditional dyes, don't use a boxed henna, it may turn your hair green or dry it out to the point where it breaks off.

Only use art grade henna on your hair.

Boxed hennas aren't pure hennas and use metallics to bind the henna to your hair, resulting in some pretty bad things for your hair.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

IMG_0022-2.jpg

me henna-ed
Also, you cant use traditional dyes after boxed henna ...untill it grows out, so henna is a real longterm commitment. I used it about 6 years ago and regretted it as it wasnt vibrant enough, was a pain to use and once I got bored with it I just had to get it cut out.
Kerry

Josephine

One Too Many
Henna for Hair is a great source, the only beef I have with them is they tend to overestimate how much henna you need. But you can always freeze what you don't use to use the next time.

kerry said:
Also, you cant use traditional dyes after boxed henna ...until it grows out, so henna is a real longterm commitment. I used it about 6 years ago and regretted it as it wasn't vibrant enough, was a pain to use and once I got bored with it I just had to get it cut out. Kerry

Boxed hennas are awful, they do have metallic salts and PPDs to make the henna "black henna" or "brown henna". If you use 100% Body Art Quality you don't have to worry about traditional dyes, though no matter what it is always best to do a test strand first. Collect hair from your brush and use that to be sure your hair doesn't turn green or dissolve. :)

Rosie, very nice color! Do you dye your eyebrows too? I sometimes do, but with all the natural oils etc on them it can be a pain to 'strip' them and then wrap my forehead in Saran wrap too. lol

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
Hia guys

Well....thanks for all the feedback.

I did a strand test which worked well, and then used the henna from lush on my hair.

Its evened out my colour beautifully and it feels stronger and is dead shiny.

I actually wanted to use it as an alternative, as synthetic dyes don't cover my grey and also upset my scalp.

I had no problems with the henna and will definately use it again.

The colour is not as deep as i would have liked, but you are able to apply it on again soon to acheive a deeper colour, so tonight is the night.

I also added paprika to make it redder, and this time (which i didn't do the first time, ive added lemon juice and wine vinegar as i have been told it helps release the pigment... smells nicer too :D ) I'll put a pic up as soon as i can, thanks again for all the advice xx

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I love henna! I didn't use it last time I dyed my hair just because it's so messy and I don't have the means to use it at my apartment, but I've had good results with it.

To keep my hair raven blue-black, I use a really high-grade kind from Wild Oats that looks like it has some indigo in it (it is blue-green when I apply it). It fades to a neutral black after about a week, and doesn't give me roots.

For me, it lasts longer than permanent chemical dyes. Semi-permanent dyes stick really well and will give me roots.

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
Well i did it again!

I added some lemon juice and wine vinegar to the mis, and made the mix a bit runnier, and its worked better! :D

Its not as bright a colour as i would have liked, but you can definately tell its been done now....it'll look even better in a couple of days.

Will post a pic as soon as i've managed to download them :D

jayem

A-List Customer
*Bump*

I'm actually henna-ing my hair as I type this. Well, not henna, actually indigo. Anyways, I added coffee to it instead of water and hopefully it'll make it a richer, deeper color. I bought the Caca Noir from Lush. Kind of a pain to cut up and mash.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
jayem said:
*Bump*

I'm actually henna-ing my hair as I type this. Well, not henna, actually indigo. Anyways, I added coffee to it instead of water and hopefully it'll make it a richer, deeper color. I bought the Caca Noir from Lush. Kind of a pain to cut up and mash.

I was contemplating purchasing this, but I was sort of deterred after reading all the horror stories and about the metallic salts and ickies in some brands. I know not all brands have these, and conventional dyes have far ickier ingredients in them, but I just colored with L'Oreal Natural Match in 3W (brown black). Lots of ickies and far from natural, but eh [huh] It's worked the best for me so far. You'll have to post pictures after you finish!

Josephine

One Too Many
I dyed my last using henna (from the Indian market) right before Hallowe'en, I was getting tired of doing it every 2 weeks to touch up my grey and I want my curls back! So sometime in Feb (?) I'll get a short 50's cut to remove all the red and be back to my salt and pepper. For a while, at least. I'm 99% sure I'll start up with the henna again, I love the way it catches fire in the sunlight! :)

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
yet another bump for the henna thread

I just used Ardell's Hennalucent in sunset glo which I purchased at my local sally and so far the results are beautiful! I have naturally red/auburn hair and the sunset glow brightened up my natural color without making it look fake or overdone. The box proudly boasts that the product is 100% organic and contains no metallic salts, good news!
My hair tends to look so drab during the winter, I'm so happy to find a natural product that restores that sun kissed glow. :)

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I ordered some henna a few days ago and can't wait for it to arrive. My hair has the winter blahs and all my gray is showing. My hair is naturally a medium brown, dyed a medium red, and I'm hoping the henna will make my grays electric copper and the rest a medium red, but I'd be stoked with lighter red. I know I'm supposed to mix in lemon juice and let it percolate overnight. I also know to expectt the color to intensify over the span of a few days, rather than fading out like other dyes do. Anything else I should know/anticipate? Thanks so much.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I used henna on my hair several years ago, kept it going for about a year, and was happy with the color and the condition of my hair as a result. The down side for me was that after several months (and several applications because of new growth) my hair began to straighten. I have very fine, very curly hair, and I did not want to relax my curl (although as I type this, I'm wondering if that might be the thing for me now). This has happened to others as I learned on a hair forum, but I'm not sure if it's kept to certain hair types or something else.

I loved the idea of adding things to it to modify the color. One of my favorite things that didn't affect color much but smelled delicious was to add powdered clove to the mixture. It is divine and your hair may smell like that after a wash or two. Please post photos of you do this, PowderKeg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21