Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here is why there are so many tiny and so few large vintage hats

I rarely click on a click-bait subject, But when the title was
"Americans' Heads Getting Bigger In Size, Changing Shape, Anthropologists Say"
I couldn't resist. How many times has the discussion been had about why so many small size vintage hats still seem to be available, while there is such a dearth of larger ones.

Odd, this was online today, yet note the date of the article; 3/19/2013.

MondoFW

Practically Family
I've observed this as well, and I always wondered why there wasn't more of an abundance of sizes over 7 than under 7. My size is a 7, the gray area in my view.

Interestingly, I've heard that American GI's during WW2 were of smaller stature at the time, partly because they were the generation that grew up during the Depression, ergo they weren't as properly nourished as they could have been. Whether this is true or not, I see a lot of military clothing of the era in smaller sizes

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Americans' Heads Getting Bigger In Size, Changing Shape, Anthropologists Say.
I couldn't resist. How many times has the discussion been had about why so many small size vintage hats still seem to be available, while there is such a dearth of larger ones.
Am I missing something? Heads are getting bigger yet there are many small size vintage hats. Well surely they wouldn't be small size if heads had not got bigger.
And as the larger head is a recent phenomenon, you are not likely to have as many vintage large hats.
So the reason that there are so many smaller vintage hats is because in vintage times there were less big heads, apart from egoists, film stars & politicians.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
if heads were smaller back then why would there be more size 7 hats in wonderful condition ?

wouldn't there be less ?

did they really make that many more size 7 than 7 3/8 ? ... I don't think so

this theory is flawed to me

DOGMAN

One Too Many
if heads were smaller back then why would there be more size 7 hats in wonderful condition ?

wouldn't there be less ?

did they really make that many more size 7 than 7 3/8 ? ... I don't think so

this theory is flawed to me
I believe the theory is true because there were so many small heads.I have a 1932 Ford pick up.At 6' I almost don't fit because back then not only were there heads smaller men were smaller in size.My wife who is 5' 4" fits perfect.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I believe the theory is true because there were so many small heads.I have a 1932 Ford pick up.At 6' I almost don't fit because back then not only were there heads smaller men were smaller in size.My wife who is 5' 4" fits perfect.
I'd love to get my hands on some old order sheets from a few stores to see what they were ordering and stocking the most

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings All: Less vintage big size hats now, more small size hats?? How about the simple explanation...larger size hats got....”worn out”, as in wore more thus less available now. The fossil record has shown that Homo Sapien Sapien (us) cranial circumference, thus volumn, has increased in Geologic Time up to the present. Just a thought.
Be well. Bowen

viclip

Practically Family
I'd love to get my hands on some old order sheets from a few stores to see what they were ordering and stocking the most
A while ago in a similar thread someone provided actual hat order figures from the 1920s on an industry-wide basis breaking down hats by size. Those figures bore out what I consider to be historically accurate, namely that men's head sizes were generally smaller back then. I wish I'd saved that thread to disk but alas ...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
All very interesting...but none the less, for those that seek out super nice larger sized vintage, the "pickings" are slimmer then smaller hats (which seem to be in abundance) and the search for the next "gem" continues....if only someone would really invent an atomic reverse transducer to zap some of these size 6 1/2 sized hats up a few sizes....if only....lol!

If smaller hat sizes were more in demand in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s, it would make sense that those sizes were produced in larger quantities than the less-requested larger sizes. Fewer large-sized hats then means fewer vintage large-sized hats now. It's just an off-the-top-of-my-head theory, but it could explain why we larger-headed folks are having difficulty finding vintage hats that fit us.

robrinay

One Too Many
Improvements in diet as time goes on is the main answer not evolution of larger heads as evolution takes a lot longer. Adult size is determined largely by diet prior to puberty. It’s a sad but extreme case but it’s borne out by the current news story of children allegedly imprisoned abused and starved by their parents in California.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Makes perfect sense.

In a few decades, our offspring will look like this:

big_brain_alien.jpg

suitedcboy

One Too Many
A while ago in a similar thread someone provided actual hat order figures from the 1920s on an industry-wide basis breaking down hats by size. Those figures bore out what I consider to be historically accurate, namely that men's head sizes were generally smaller back then. I wish I'd saved that thread to disk but alas ...
I remember that discussion of maybe 10 years back on here but can't
find it. There were photos (or scans) of some hat invoices and it was heavy on 6 7/8 and 7 hats. There was some evidence presented, I think an article citing someone at a hat company, that their current
production was heavy in 7 1/8 and 7 1/4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk