Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
What's the problem with the ribbon tacking/stitching? I don't understand. This is the Excellent Quality Japanese Whippet.
They are all just like this. Photo enlarged.
7fbf01b1f81b14a0ea8782e654f6c2b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
For the Goorin, the brim is shorter than what I'm looking for and it is not stiff in the slightest so snapping the brim down hardly does anything. It serves it's purpose, but I am not quite happy with the $60 I spent on The Good Boy.

As for the Scala, I am judging by this customer's picture of it which is the only picture I can find of somebody actually wearing it. It looks a lot better than the Amazon web page photo.
07fd7ee0156b3acf7a01f85d970aadfd.png

I just wish there were more stores where I lived. I've been searching for a good year and a half for a decent hat in person but fedoras are just not in fashion here in Colorado. I want to make sure I look good in them before I spend $150-250 on a splendid fur felt one much like I said, a Temple or Chatham would be great.

I realize I'm uber late to the party on this one but you may like the Etsy shop D'Aquino:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/126366...style-hat-classic-hat?ref=shop_home_active_11

I got my first custom hats from Luisa, the shop owner. Her price range for a custom rabbit felt hat is only a little more than the 60$ you spent at Goorin for a woolie, and still less than one full bill. The quality of the finished product is good for an introductory-level enthusiast, and many of us wear our D'Aquinos even though our collections have matured greatly.

For a 1940's style, ask her to send you a hat with a 5.75" open crown and steam/crease it yourself. My $.02

I realize I'm uber late to the party on this one but you may like the Etsy shop D'Aquino:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/126366...style-hat-classic-hat?ref=shop_home_active_11

I got my first custom hats from Luisa, the shop owner. Her price range for a custom rabbit felt hat is only a little more than the 60$ you spent at Goorin for a woolie, and still less than one full bill. The quality of the finished product is good for an introductory-level enthusiast, and many of us wear our D'Aquinos even though our collections have matured greatly.

For a 1940's style, ask her to send you a hat with a 5.75" open crown and steam/crease it yourself. My $.02
I have been meaning to buy a daquino. I have heard the rabbit/beaver blend is great. What colors do you have? Any one in particular stand out? The etsy site is not great esp for colour selection.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I have been meaning to buy a daquino. I have heard the rabbit/beaver blend is great. What colors do you have? Any one in particular stand out? The etsy site is not great esp for colour selection.
Aside from black, I purchased medium gray from her. It's like a desaturated caribou. Very nice. I can't speak for her other colors but if you email Luisa, she'd be happy to send you a color list.

I can understand that. I musta got lucky but they all can't be that atrociously bad.
I think ordering from the Outlet and having a "pergrab sonal shopper" like Candy makes a difference. Not sure I would trust a random selection from piles of stock from another discount retailer. I am so pleased with my Whippet I would consider going for another one from Garland.

They are all just like this. Photo enlarged.
7fbf01b1f81b14a0ea8782e654f6c2b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
For me it is in the comparison to a custom. If I had paid full price for my Stetsonians and placing them side to side with say a custom from Mike at NW for less $$ the Stetsonian ribbon work compares poorly(including the tack stitching). I am okay with it for the money I paid as it left lots in the budget to send it out for new ribbon work.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
For me it is in the comparison to a custom. If I had paid full price for my Stetsonians and placing them side to side with say a custom from Mike at NW for less $$ the Stetsonian ribbon work compares poorly(including the tack stitching). I am okay with it for the money I paid as it left lots in the budget to send it out for new ribbon work.
But I'm asking if something appears really wrong with that ribbon tacking in that picture?

But I'm asking if something appears really wrong with that ribbon tacking in that picture?
No, well I guess yes. If a custom hatter can make the stitches invisible, for the same money why can't Stetson? I hold it akin to buying a bespoke tweed and have the pattern match exactly on the seams whereas in a cheaper one they don't quite match up. A small thing I realize but to me a thing nonetheless.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
No, well I guess yes. If a custom hatter can make the stitches invisible, for the same money why can't Stetson? I hold it akin to buying a bespoke tweed and have the pattern match exactly on the seams whereas in a cheaper one they don't quite match up. A small thing I realize but to me a thing nonetheless.
Lol. I'll have to have a closer look at my only 2 customs then. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112