Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Yes, the St Regis in a 7 3/8" does come up on Ebay from time to time and not ghastly pricing for a vintage. I have been in the hunt but never pulled the pin. Don't worry we won't compete as I am out of the game for a while. I have 7 homburg like hats, 3 customs and I realize it is hard to find ones to try on but my experience in a Hommie is the slightest difference in the brim width makes a big difference in how it looks. Too skinny on the brim and it looks more Derby/Bowler like....too wide and it takes a more overt Western look....(I have 3 of those and happen to love the look.) If you can do some trying on of the hats to get the one that really really works for you.

JC225

One of the Regulars
Hey Bama and Belfast,
I appreciate the info and I will take a look at the model. I have to agree with you on the brim sizing and the look that it creates. I also don't care to much for the brim when it's angled up on the sides to sharply, I prefer a flatter brim with a slightly lower crown and no pinch.

Hey Bama and Belfast,
I appreciate the info and I will take a look at the model. I have to agree with you on the brim sizing and the look that it creates. I also don't care to much for the brim when it's angled up on the sides to sharply, I prefer a flatter brim with a slightly lower crown and no pinch.
Yes, I have one with the sides angled up and it looks to me tooo much like a old west saloon gambler. Once in a while Borsalinos come up on the Bay in a Hommie style at not too bad a price. Certainly cheaper than an Optimo. On my list is to visit Optimo as I have yet to see Chicago. I have some wonderful customs from the hatters here in the Lounge and I would like to see if Optimo is that much better in quality to reflect the big price diff.

I thought I better talk with you guys before before I drop $750

JC225, if you look at vintage, you won't go wrong with the St. Regis, but equally nice, or in some cases better, are Mallory, Knox, and Dobbs. Depending on the color you're looking for, there is usually some availability in your size.

You'll pay anywhere from $50-$65 to $$$$, depending on your requirements and patience.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I have a Stetson St. Regis that I really like a lot. I’d also look at most all of the big names (Dobbs, Borsalino, Cavanaugh , etc.). If you like the looks of the more teutonic hats then I’d also add Hückel and Mayser to the list. I’ll add my vote for making sure that the proportions are just what you like as small changes in dimensions give Homburgs very different looks.

There is a seller on eBay (mosh_frie) who has some new old stock Barbisio, Melton, Selco/Selentino, and other brand Homburgs. They are decent but will probably need a new leather sweatband. Also, the two I bought were not from the the 1950s as he claimed; more likely 1960s to ‘80s.

If you can wait a few months for a custom, Mike at http://www.northwesthats.com/ can build you a great beaver homburg at a fraction of what Optimo charges...I’ve never owned and Optimo so I’m not saying anything against them, they are just out of my budget.

If you want to get something just to try the style then Beaver Brands and Biltmore are two solid hat brands that show up on the used market at very reasonable prices. I own and enjoy both.

Please check out the Homburg Nation thread here on the Lounge for a lot of great info on all things Homburg.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/homburg-nation.35848/

Brent

JC225

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much for the insight, I'm glad I joined the group today. You all have given me quite a bit to think about and I really appreciate it. As you all have pointed out, I really have to consider the cost vs. quality which really to me is a risk vs. reward situation. Is the Optimo worth the $750 and is it going to be that much better (or maybe not) than a vintage built hat at a fraction of the cost? I do know that Stetson has had an amazing history and has produced quality products for a long time.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........So many toys and so little time!

Thank you so much for the insight, I'm glad I joined the group today. You all have given me quite a bit to think about and I really appreciate it. As you all have pointed out, I really have to consider the cost vs. quality which really to me is a risk vs. reward situation. Is the Optimo worth the $750 and is it going to be that much better (or maybe not) than a vintage built hat at a fraction of the cost? I do know that Stetson has had an amazing history and has produced quality products for a long time.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........So many toys and so little time!

I’m not trying to over sell him, but I’m having trouble seeing how you can get a better hat than what Northwest Hats could make for you for around $350 if you want new. With that in mind, there isn’t any Homburg I’d rather have than an old St. Regis.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you don't mind spending the cash for an Optimo, you will not be disappointed in the end result, especially if you take the time for an in person visit. All their components are top notch. Their consistency of the dye colors in particular is one of Optimo's strengths, IMHO, as well as some of their fantastic exclusive color runs.

That having been said, as an occasional wearer of Homburgs, I don't particularly care for Optimo's iteration. I find the brim flange a bit flat and the curl a bit more akin to a pencil roll than a proper Homburg curl. Mind you, I'm far from being the expert on Homburgs, so I'm only speaking about personal preference here.

If I were going to throw around that kind of cash for a custom Homburg style hat, I'd either:
1) Bide my time with Bob Jessee at Black Sheep Hatworks (check out the Blackthorne at the bottom of the page)
or
2) Check in with Stephen Temkin at Leon Drexler.

Re: Vintage, the St. Regis is reasonably easy to find as a vintage hat, even in some larger sizes. I gifted a([n] Art Fawcett/VS refurbed) St. Regis to a friend who is 7 3/8 and I think that one I ended somewhere in the neighborhood of $75.00. The Stetson Supper Club is an earlier model, which is harder to find, but is a very classy black/burgundy Homburg (a combination also copied by other makers).

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings JC:
First welcome to the lounge.
Is an Optimo worth $750? Idk. Is ANY hat worth $750? Idk. I do know that any hat is worth what someone is willing to pay. If you can handle a $750 Optimo, go for it!!
I do know that for $750 and a couple weeks on ebay, i can handle a bunch of nice vintage homburgs and have many different colors and ribbon styles and felt qualities to boot.
So, you be the judge of you. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Enjoy the hunt. My 2 cents.
Be well. Bowen

If you don't mind spending the cash for an Optimo, you will not be disappointed in the end result, especially if you take the time for an in person visit. All their components are top notch. Their consistency of the dye colors in particular is one of Optimo's strengths, IMHO, as well as some of their fantastic exclusive color runs.

That having been said, as an occasional wearer of Homburgs, I don't particularly care for Optimo's iteration. I find the brim flange a bit flat and the curl a bit more akin to a pencil roll than a proper Homburg curl. Mind you, I'm far from being the expert on Homburgs, so I'm only speaking about personal preference here.

If I were going to throw around that kind of cash for a custom Homburg style hat, I'd either:
1) Bide my time with Bob Jessee at Black Sheep Hatworks (check out the Blackthorne at the bottom of the page)
or
2) Check in with Stephen Temkin at Leon Drexler.

Re: Vintage, the St. Regis is reasonably easy to find as a vintage hat, even in some larger sizes. I gifted a([n] Art Fawcett/VS refurbed) St. Regis to a friend who is 7 3/8 and I think that one I ended somewhere in the neighborhood of $75.00. The Stetson Supper Club is an earlier model, which is harder to find, but is a very classy black/burgundy Homburg (a combination also copied by other makers).
I have two of Stephen Temkin's creations and love them both....A Londoner (Lord's hat) and a Cotswolder (more of a Homburg but with a pinch). Both are great hats. Stephen was mentored by Art at VS so he has great lineage. He is pricey but I purchased from him due to his different offerings. I have two of Art's creations and quality is equal but Art has a lower price point AND the kicker is you don't have to wait a full year for one of Art's creations. Stephen's last build took just a smidge under a year for delivery. But Art for $375 builds one hell of a hat and like Mike at NW, give him a picture of what you want and the final product will match the picture. Both have done it for me.....and both are masters of the craft.

JC225

One of the Regulars
I really like the look of the Optimo and that of course was the first thing that drew me to it. The lack of the pinch, the flatter brim and the lower crown are all things that I really want. With that being said, it just seems like the best route to go. However after getting some different opinions today, I'm seriously considering the vintage Stetson and saving a few bucks in the process. I'm also pretty sure the Stetson can be shaped or formed in any fashion I want. Right now the struggle for me is that I just don't want to spend the cash on something else and then end up wanting the Optimo when I could have bought it to begin with. I think the best thing to do at this point is to try and take a look at both hats so I can make a decision based on not only what I have seen but more importantly what I have tried on and handled.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I really like the look of the Optimo and that of course was the first thing that drew me to it. The lack of the pinch, the flatter brim and the lower crown are all things that I really want. With that being said, it just seems like the best route to go. However after getting some different opinions today, I'm seriously considering the vintage Stetson and saving a few bucks in the process. I'm also pretty sure the Stetson can be shaped or formed in any fashion I want. Right now the struggle for me is that I just don't want to spend the cash on something else and then end up wanting the Optimo when I could have bought it to begin with. I think the best thing to do at this point is to try and take a look at both hats so I can make a decision based on not only what I have seen but more importantly what I have tried on and handled.

As somebody who wasn't really satisfied until I got my Optimo Dillinger, I definitely sympathize with you.

If the Optimo piques you, I'm sure you won't regret the purchase.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Greetings JC:
First welcome to the lounge.
Is an Optimo worth $750? Idk. Is ANY hat worth $750? Idk. I do know that any hat is worth what someone is willing to pay. If you can handle a $750 Optimo, go for it!!
I do know that for $750 and a couple weeks on ebay, i can handle a bunch of nice vintage homburgs and have many different colors and ribbon styles and felt qualities to boot.
So, you be the judge of you. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Enjoy the hunt. My 2 cents.
Be well. Bowen
Geez...$750.00 you should get lunch with the Pope AND a new hat! LOL!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
That is the best thing to do in my opinion, don't rush until you know what you really want. I an confident that Optimo does make a extra nice hat, but that price tag is a bit too much for us here in my home.

JC225

One of the Regulars
Hey Luv,

Ya, I'm not going to lie, $800+ after tax is a little rough to think about. However the more I think about it, the more I realize I want the Optimo. I don't think I'm going to be very happy buying something else. I've been wanting it and saving for the better part of two years and I think I'm about ready to take a trip to Optimo and just go for it. I have received a lot of really great replies and information from everybody, but at the end of the day I know myself to well and if I buy something else, I will Shoulda, woulda , coulda myself and I 'm not going down that road. It is a bit of cash but like I said before, buy once, cry once.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hey Luv,

Ya, I'm not going to lie, $800+ after tax is a little rough to think about. However the more I think about it, the more I realize I want the Optimo. I don't think I'm going to be very happy buying something else. I've been wanting it and saving for the better part of two years and I think I'm about ready to take a trip to Optimo and just go for it. I have received a lot of really great replies and information from everybody, but at the end of the day I know myself to well and if I buy something else, I will Shoulda, woulda , coulda myself and I 'm not going down that road. It is a bit of cash but like I said before, buy once, cry once.
Greetings JC:
Go for it then!! The LAST thing you want is to think “i wish this was the Optimo” every time you put on the hat.
You’d just buy it anyway. My 2cents
Pics when you get it please.
Be well. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points