• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Hi Im new here, Looking for hat information?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by D00R, Mar 19, 2007.

1. OC Fry

OC Fry Familiar Face

Yep, that's a pretty standard accessory on the rivers... Thanks!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. I'm strongly considering a new hat. I want a good old wide-brimmed slouch hat for outdoor activities. Among my possible choices...

The Akubra Territory...

[​IMG]

or the Riverina...

[​IMG]

Both Akubras have the same size brims, the difference being the band and the crease (that's what we used to call it; I understand the proper term these days it "bash").

Or this Quartermain (not sure it's even still available) from Longhorn Hatters. This is the hat Sean Connery wore in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The brim on this one is a bit wider yet and it has a Puhharee band.

[​IMG]

Experience, input or opinions, Gentlemen?

3. guillaumeb

guillaumeb One of the Regulars

if this is for outdoor activities I'd go with the lightest one. Can't help much otherwise
    FYI by default the Longhorn hats are made of wool not fur felt, at least that's what I understand on this page
    Might get hot in summer

The felt hat bodies that are featured are made out of 100% wool felt, or by special request, in 5X Beaver (...)

4. OC Fry

OC Fry Familiar Face

The Black Sheep Hatworks hats are very nice looking... but I am a big fan of Akubra... I vote for the Territory.

prairieschooner likes this.
  5. Urbex

Urbex New in Town

I like the look of that hat, I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for the promo code too

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Urbex

Urbex New in Town

I'm a construction worker, I'm used to hard labor. I'm just in it for the adventure. I'm honestly not expecting to find a diamond, but anything I find will be icing on the cake

7. Thanks for the Black Sheep link; those hats are nice but way above the budget for this application. Can't see staining a $500 hat up with sweat, fly floatant and gun grease :).

Blackthorn likes this.
  8. They post that code (or whatever the current code is) on every page of their website, but it can be easy to miss if you're focused on whichever item you're interested in and ignore the rest of the site.

Urbex likes this.
  9. OC Fry

OC Fry Familiar Face

My field hat is an Akubra Banjo Paterson... Not vented & narrower brim. It's been working well in NW Colorado, we have a pretty cool climate here...

10. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck One Too Many

The Territory hat has a square crown while the Riverina has a tapered crown. Both have the same brim size, vent holes and no liner. So it comes down to look. Colour, Crown and hatband. What look do you like? I always thought I liked square crowns but I seem to go for my Coolabah more than my Cattleman.
    Another wide brimmed hat that could be an option is the Woomera. it comes open crown so you can shape it any way you like. Keep in mind if you want the brim flattened the company you buy it form can do that for you before they ship. Just ask. Oh and you can take the liner out as well.
    Hope that helps
    Johnny

11. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

I'm very fond of the Coolabah.

prairieschooner likes this.
  12. Blackthorn

Blackthorn My Mail is Forwarded Here

My favorite knock around hat is my Akubra Banjo Paterson, but I also love my Coober Pedy and Angler. Akubra makes fine hats for the outdoors.

Hurricane Jack and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. Thanks for the heads up on the wool/fur thing; good to know. I think that takes the Longhorn out of the equation. Probably going for the Territory, and not to worry about the temperature; just bought a $10 straw for summer at my local Ace Hardware :)!

Zombie_61 and johnnycanuck like this.
  14. I just pulled my Territory out and it is lined. I checked specs on David Morgan and another site and they say lined also.

Someone commented that the wool hat from Longhorn might be hot, I just do not see the logic in that. Beaver fur, rabbit fur or wool, the are all warm.

When I got my Territory the only color I could find was Sandtone Fawn, which is more of a light olive color. I see they have a true sand color now, which I would prefer for warmer weather. My go to hat for casual wear is my Banjo Patterson in I think they call it Heritage Fawn. That was one of my first good hats and has probably seen more wear than any other four or five put together.

KarlCrow and johnnycanuck like this.
  15. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

I was on the lookout for a Territory for a while. I wanted to attempt to recreate a planters hat for some living history events & programs I do & still think the Territory would be a good candidate for one. I was trying to find one second hand instead of new in case it didn't work out.

[​IMG]

I have a Coober Pedy, Cattleman & 2 Woomeras. I have had no problems in flattening the brims with just steam & a wooden brush handle; haven't had to use an iron. I didn't know you could ask to have it flattened before shipping. That's good info to know.

16. Blackthorn

Blackthorn My Mail is Forwarded Here

That is an awesomely cool looking hat, HJ!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck One Too Many

I know hats direct would reshape your hat on request before shipping. Would also add vent holes as well.
    But that was years ago, you would have to ask and see if they still do that kind of thing.
    Johnny

Zombie_61 and Hurricane Jack like this.
  18. Hurricane Jack

Afraid it's not mine. It came up at auction & I believe it's now a museum piece. It belonged to a southern planter who went on to be a General in the Civil War. His name escapes me at the moment.

Zombie_61, KarlCrow and Blackthorn like this.
  19. Hurricane Jack

Half the fun is in recreating it yourself.

Zombie_61 and Blackthorn like this.