Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJR

I'm looking for a whitewater river hat. I had a passenger on a Grand Canyon trip and I think he had a palm hat that could be soaked, stepped on, etc. & survive. Waterproof & crushable, are the Sunbodys up to that?
For getting soaked,crushed,packed,etc I'd probably look at a Tilley or clones.

RJR

Yeah but I kinda like the straw like material... I'm thinking hard about one of Sunbody's open crowns... Maybe a 3" or 3 1/2" brim with 5" crown?
I have both,the Sunbody is tough as nails but I'm not sure its possible to crush one and packing would be pretty much out of the question.

I'm strongly considering a new hat. I want a good old wide-brimmed slouch hat for outdoor activities. Among my possible choices...

The Akubra Territory...

Akubra%20Territoy_zps5i7tvqb3.jpg

or the Riverina...

riverina_bran_5_1.1457149183_zps5cknkdef.jpg

Both Akubras have the same size brims, the difference being the band and the crease (that's what we used to call it; I understand the proper term these days it "bash").

Or this Quartermain (not sure it's even still available) from Longhorn Hatters. This is the hat Sean Connery wore in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The brim on this one is a bit wider yet and it has a Puhharee band.

the_quartrmain20600_zpsehwc8xkt.jpg

Experience, input or opinions, Gentlemen?

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
if this is for outdoor activities I'd go with the lightest one. Can't help much otherwise
FYI by default the Longhorn hats are made of wool not fur felt, at least that's what I understand on this page
Might get hot in summer

The felt hat bodies that are featured are made out of 100% wool felt, or by special request, in 5X Beaver (...)

Urbex

New in Town
Real Deal Brazil Tarp Hat. Made from recycled truck tarps, with wire in the brim so you can shape it somewhat. $39.99 and free shipping (for the time being) if you use the code "MEMORIAL". It has a cloth sweatband that helps to absorb perspiration (a little, anyway), and you can put sizing tape behind it if needed. I wore mine on a trip to Alaska in 2011 and it helped to keep my head dry and warm...well, warmer. Downside--they aren't ideal if you're going to be near water because they sink like a rock, but you can always order a wind/chin strap to help keep it on your head.

I like the look of that hat, I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for the promo code too

Urbex

New in Town
Been there, done that. Be prepared for lots & lots of physical labor with nothing to show for it. Your best chance to find a diamond on the surface will come after a couple of days or hard rain. If you like gems there is a nearby gem & mineral park that will produce better results for the time spent. Good luck though.

I'm a construction worker, I'm used to hard labor. I'm just in it for the adventure. I'm honestly not expecting to find a diamond, but anything I find will be icing on the cake

I like the look of that hat, I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for the promo code too
They post that code (or whatever the current code is) on every page of their website, but it can be easy to miss if you're focused on whichever item you're interested in and ignore the rest of the site.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Territory hat has a square crown while the Riverina has a tapered crown. Both have the same brim size, vent holes and no liner. So it comes down to look. Colour, Crown and hatband. What look do you like? I always thought I liked square crowns but I seem to go for my Coolabah more than my Cattleman.
Another wide brimmed hat that could be an option is the Woomera. it comes open crown so you can shape it any way you like. Keep in mind if you want the brim flattened the company you buy it form can do that for you before they ship. Just ask. Oh and you can take the liner out as well.
Hope that helps
Johnny

RJR

The Territory hat has a square crown while the Riverina has a tapered crown. Both have the same brim size, vent holes and no liner. So it comes down to look. Colour, Crown and hatband. What look do you like? I always thought I liked square crowns but I seem to go for my Coolabah more than my Cattleman.
Another wide brimmed hat that could be an option is the Woomera. it comes open crown so you can shape it any way you like. Keep in mind if you want the brim flattened the company you buy it form can do that for you before they ship. Just ask. Oh and you can take the liner out as well.
Hope that helps
Johnny
I'm very fond of the Coolabah.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Hope that helps
Johnny

I just pulled my Territory out and it is lined. I checked specs on David Morgan and another site and they say lined also.

Someone commented that the wool hat from Longhorn might be hot, I just do not see the logic in that. Beaver fur, rabbit fur or wool, the are all warm.

When I got my Territory the only color I could find was Sandtone Fawn, which is more of a light olive color. I see they have a true sand color now, which I would prefer for warmer weather. My go to hat for casual wear is my Banjo Patterson in I think they call it Heritage Fawn. That was one of my first good hats and has probably seen more wear than any other four or five put together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk