Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
The Territory hat has a square crown while the Riverina has a tapered crown. Both have the same brim size, vent holes and no liner. So it comes down to look.
I was on the lookout for a Territory for a while. I wanted to attempt to recreate a planters hat for some living history events & programs I do & still think the Territory would be a good candidate for one. I was trying to find one second hand instead of new in case it didn't work out.

21n34fs.jpg

Keep in mind if you want the brim flattened the company you buy it form can do that for you before they ship.
I have a Coober Pedy, Cattleman & 2 Woomeras. I have had no problems in flattening the brims with just steam & a wooden brush handle; haven't had to use an iron. I didn't know you could ask to have it flattened before shipping. That's good info to know.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I was on the lookout for a Territory for a while. I wanted to attempt to recreate a planters hat for some living history events & programs I do & still think the Territory would be a good candidate for one. I was trying to find one second hand instead of new in case it didn't work out.

21n34fs.jpg

I have a Coober Pedy, Cattleman & 2 Woomeras. I have had no problems in flattening the brims with just steam & a wooden brush handle; haven't had to use an iron. I didn't know you could ask to have it flattened before shipping. That's good info to know.
That is an awesomely cool looking hat, HJ!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

21n34fs.jpg

I know hats direct would reshape your hat on request before shipping. Would also add vent holes as well.
But that was years ago, you would have to ask and see if they still do that kind of thing.
Johnny

Bigabyte

New in Town
Cheers everyone,
I'm in desperate need of help and I'm not sure if this is the right place to find it, but I'll give it a try anyway.
I know very few of you like/wear this kind of headgear but you might adress me in the right path anyway. ;)
A few years ago a friend of mine lost his favourite cap, and since he was very fond on it and he's birthday is in a couple of weeks I'd like to give him an identical one as a gift.
Here are a few photos taken "back then" that I've found on Facebook that I've blurred for privacy reasons.
1a1a197205.jpg
9c52cfb18b.jpg
ea787bd2ce.jpg

I'm not a native speaker, nor a connoisseur (as you might have already guessed...) so please don't 'bash' me if I'm using a wrong terminology.
Thank you in advance!

Bigabyte

New in Town
Looks like some sort of cadet cap that is a few sizes too big if he's wearing it over his ears.
Wow! Thank you for the prompy reply. According to what I'm seeing on google it might be a cadet cap indeed. What material do you think the cap on the photos is made of? Do you think it's possible to figure out the brand of the original one or am I being too demanding?

Wow! Thank you for the prompy reply. According to what I'm seeing on google it might be a cadet cap indeed. What material do you think the cap on the photos is made of? Do you think it's possible to figure out the brand of the original one or am I being too demanding?
Looks like a cloth/duck canvas(?) of some type. I assume they are some modern mass produced hat. Not really a military/cadet look to me. More of just a casual cap.

RJR

I doubt that you'll be able to identify the brand because there are many makers of such caps.Red(above response) is likely correct.These are made in many fabrics from winter wool through canvas and on to linen for warm weather wear.
Hat-Cap-Unc Ruby's.jpg

Cheers everyone,
I'm in desperate need of help and I'm not sure if this is the right place to find it, but I'll give it a try anyway.
I know very few of you like/wear this kind of headgear but you might adress me in the right path anyway. ;)
A few years ago a friend of mine lost his favourite cap, and since he was very fond on it and he's birthday is in a couple of weeks I'd like to give him an identical one as a gift.
Here are a few photos taken "back then" that I've found on Facebook that I've blurred for privacy reasons.
1a1a197205.jpg
9c52cfb18b.jpg
ea787bd2ce.jpg

I'm not a native speaker, nor a connoisseur (as you might have already guessed...) so please don't 'bash' me if I'm using a wrong terminology.
Thank you in advance!
If you have not already, check out Ebay. The down side is that searching "cadet caps" produces 9000+ listings. The other thought is check out Etsy.com. There are a great many hat/cap makers listed there that might be willing to make you one to match the picture. The third option, depending on where you live, give him a gift certificate to a hat shop and let him pick out a new favourite hat.

Cheers everyone,
1a1a197205.jpg
9c52cfb18b.jpg
ea787bd2ce.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Take a look at some North Korean crowd photos; looks similar to caps I've seen there. Don't have a source though.

Looks like a cloth/duck canvas(?) of some type. I assume they are some modern mass produced hat. Not really a military/cadet look to me. More of just a casual cap.
I doubt that you'll be able to identify the brand because there are many makers of such caps.Red(above response) is likely correct.These are made in many fabrics from winter wool through canvas and on to linen for warm weather wear.
I was also thinking it could be a simple cotton/canvas six-panel flat cap with the crown pulled up/back to cover his head. But it could have been made by any number of hat companies around the world, so unless someone recognizes that specific pattern/configuration it would be very difficult to find an exact match based on those photos alone; even more so if it's no longer in production.

Update...the Territory is on the way, in Sandtone Fawn. Coupled with my summer straw from Ace Hardware I'm good to go :)!
Sure, sure...until the next hat comes along. :D

RJR

I was also thinking it could be a simple cotton/canvas six-panel flat cap with the crown pulled up/back to cover his head. But it could have been made by any number of hat companies around the world, so unless someone recognizes that specific pattern/configuration it would be very difficult to find an exact match based on those photos alone; even more so if it's no longer in production.

Sure, sure...until the next hat comes along. :D
:cool:

Urbex

New in Town
Real Deal Brazil Tarp Hat. Made from recycled truck tarps, with wire in the brim so you can shape it somewhat. $39.99 and free shipping (for the time being) if you use the code "MEMORIAL". It has a cloth sweatband that helps to absorb perspiration (a little, anyway), and you can put sizing tape behind it if needed. I wore mine on a trip to Alaska in 2011 and it helped to keep my head dry and warm...well, warmer. Downside--they aren't ideal if you're going to be near water because they sink like a rock, but you can always order a wind/chin strap to help keep it on your head.

Took your advice. I like the way it looks and it'll do the job of protecting my chrome dome from the Arkansas sun nicely. I dig that they're recycled truck tarps and that Woody Harrelson wore one in Zombieland

Attachments

• IMG_20170525_000025_960.jpg
    IMG_20170525_000025_960.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 542
Took your advice. I like the way it looks and it'll do the job of protecting my chrome dome from the Arkansas sun nicely. I dig that they're recycled truck tarps and that Woody Harrelson wore one in Zombieland
It looks good on you! I wish they made the crowns a little taller because my enormous head barely fits in mine, but it still gets the job done nicely.

I was one of many who learned of these hats because of Zombieland. Woody Harrelson is a devout Vegan, so his entire wardrobe for the movie was comprised of organic/natural fibers, recycled materials, and synthetic leathers. Even the Twinkie he ate in the movie was made from a special recipe because he doesn't eat processed foods.

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Just made a trip to my local hattery to check these out in person for the first time. Now I have never handled a true vintage whippet but for all the negative things I've read about the modern one, I thought it was a pretty nice hat. Not stiff or hard like I've read, it was actually very soft and I felt like I could easily shape it to my liking easier than some other hats i own. What I really fell in love with was the new Stratoliner. Both hats very soft, supple, easily creased the open crown versions. I definitely plan on going back for the strat and who knows maybe I'll cop the whip too

Just made a trip to my local hattery to check these out in person for the first time. Now I have never handled a true vintage whippet but for all the negative things I've read about the modern one, I thought it was a pretty nice hat. Not stiff or hard like I've read, it was actually very soft and I felt like I could easily shape it to my liking easier than some other hats i own. What I really fell in love with was the new Stratoliner. Both hats very soft, supple, easily creased the open crown versions. I definitely plan on going back for the strat and who knows maybe I'll cop the whip too
I really like the "Excellent Quality" modern Strat that Moon sent my way. It has held the Moon Diamond quite well. I don't play with it much, but with the nice felt on this one, I could. I held a modern Royal Deluxe Whippet a while back at my Haberdasher, not so impressive...
Strat with Connie Pin 2Mar17.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk