Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hide Matching on Leather Jackets

I used to be bothered by it. Once a jacket starts to wear, the differences seem to matter less (to me). I guess it depends on the jacket. When getting a jacket made, it's always good to ask the maker if they can match hides or specify grainy vs smooth. At least two of the makers I've used will do that.
In the end, it's personal. I don't care too much - I'm more concerned about colors. If the hides have different colors in the finish, I'd likely not be thrilled...

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I would hate mismatched or different colored panels. I wouldn't pick something off the rack like that and would most likely reject a jacket if it were a special order and came in like that

+1 on what Butte said.

But even getting a jacket with a perfectly matched hide doesn't guarantee anything - something I've had to learn the hard way. One of my jackets seemed perfect out of the box but after just one week, different panels began showing aging and a (rapid) loss of colour much faster than the others, and that really sucked. It was a black jacket and I've had people asking me why is the sleeve brown.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've only one jacket where the mismatching is VERY obvious. It's an old green Highwayman type jacket I bought used from a Lounger. There's an inside panel that so much more obviously worn than the rest of coat. Also the backs and little wonky as well. I'm not overly concerned as the jacket is so "different" I get comments everywhere I go.

Worf

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
1 jacket is made from several sheets, and even in one sheet there is already different graining going on from the center to the side....
that is the main reason, why I prefer multi paneled front and back, more 3 dimensional, easier to match panels with less waste.
I personally don't like all matching grain like pleathers, I like it when different graining are used on different panels that looks logical and and add to the design, while keeping the symmetry, normally a leather cutter will do that to their best, almost like making a clothes from a batik or a camouflage fabrics, a good cutter will plan better when layouting the pattern on it.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Man, that could just as well be mine Mod. B, only a lot more broken in. Makes me happy to know how good it will look! How old is your jacket, 'guns?

Oh, I have had my my Vanson for around 4-5yrs. It has been worn under all sort of UK weather already, rain, snow, sleet and it is holding up very well. The competition hide is indeed a class of it's own in terms of protection.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Benj, just wondering is this the same jacket you reviewed few months back or was it the #1 that you exchanged for problem? You seemed totally happy then, and the sleeves on that seemed both creased equally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points