Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman Cordovan fit pics and questions regarding my second Aero

smoz

One of the Regulars
When my Highwayman arrived in May I promised that I would post some fit pics, original thread here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?55713-My-first-Aero-order-(Highwayman), well here they are, better late than never. The photos were taken in Cornwall by the long suffering Mrs Smoz.

The vintage cordovan FQHH is breaking in nicely, due to us having a mild summer here in the UK I have been able to wear it a lot more frequently than I would have expected for the time of year.

I have my second aero jacket on order, I managed to get the order in before the price rise, which is going to be a fifties half belt deluxe deluxe in brown FQHH with a few modifications (subject to me changing my mind, an A-2 is also tempting me). I would appreciate any comments regarding the fit, I personally think the sleeves could lose half an inch and possibly lose the same on the shoulders. In these photo's I probably have more junk in my pockets than normal, this jacket has a G1 pocket in the facing on the same side as the breast pocket, I would move this to the other side as the two pockets backing on to each other are a little bulky. This jacket has a harris tweed lining, on my next one I will probably go for either alpacca or one of the lighter weight tartans from Lochcarron.

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1688.jpg

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
Hi smoz - congratulation to your new purchase - at first - sleeve lenght and shoulder looks best for me - the sleeves will get more wrinkles after a while and than you will be glad that they don't look short! Shoulder wide depends on personal taste for me it looks good - my opinion: Its a jacket not a shirt! - and you can wear it with a layer without feeling incomfortable. The inside stormflap is a great feature and the Vintage cordovan looks amazing - now I know which hide I am missing in my collection. :D Wear it in good health.
Regards
Windward

Windward

Practically Family
If you don't mind - - - may I ask you which size is it - guess a 46" - like mine...
Did you odered a standard Highwayman or with alterations? THANKS!

smoz

One of the Regulars
If you don't mind - - - may I ask you which size is it - guess a 46" - like mine...
Did you odered a standard Highwayman or with alterations? THANKS!

Thanks for your comments, it is a 42", I am of average height (5'9"), but in possession of stomach which reflects my love of both food and drink.

Here is a summary of the spec's for my highwayman order:

· Style: Highwayman

· Leather: Vintage Cordovan FQHH

· Lining: Harris Tweed

· Chest pocket (outer): one, diagonal, left hand side with zip

· Outer pockets: two handwarmer pockets (not cargo)

· Inner pocket, left: one, vertical in facing

· Inner pocket right: one horizontal with stud fastener

· No storm cuffs

· Inside windflap

· Corduroy pocket lining

· Corduroy strip at hem of jacket to protect lining

· Antique brass zips, buckles etc

Last edited:

smoz

One of the Regulars
The fifties half belt that I currently have on order will also be a 42", in brown FQHH. At the moment I think I would like the following specifications, though I imagine they will change between now and the time the jacket is manufactured:

• Detachable mouton collar
  • Non bi-swing back
  • Button cuffs as on thirties half belt, leather lined
  • Button throat latch
  • Alpaca or Lochcarron Isle of Skye (possibly both linings, tartan over alpaca)
  • Sleeves lined in cotton drill
  • Angled outer breast pocket left hand side
  • Inner pocket, G1 syle, in facing right hand side
  • Corduroy pocket lining
  • Corduroy or leather strip hem inner waistband

I haven't yet made up my mind whether to have a yoke on the back as on the Highwayman or to have a plain back.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
A couple of comments on your pending order:

The Halfbelt is a much trimmer fitting garment - if you like the fit of your size 42 Highwayman you may feel a bit constricted in a size 42 Halfbelt (I am a 40 in the Halfbelt and a 38 in the Highwayman)

I believe a yoke on a Halfbelt (which already has a "half belt" at the waist) will be too busy

Good luck (and enjoy)!

Last edited:

apba1166

A-List Customer
It's true, the jacket gives you room for layering, but in the end, these days, I prefer a square shoulder vs. wider/rounded. I used to prefer the other, and so have some jackets like yours with a tad bit of shoulder room, which is especially nice on cold days when wearing a sweater or sweatshirt or even denim shirt.
If you don't like bulky/restricted feeling consider the tartan lining vs. the alpaca. The linings do make a difference in the fit and feel of the jackets. Both good, but different in overall feel.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Smoz,
Nice jacket, looks good!, the length of the sleeves could end up fine as Windward says, once they get a little more wrinkly, I personally would certainly not take more than 1/2" from them for your next, the body fit looks fine to me! remember for 4-5 months you will probably need to layer more underneath the jacket, as for your next jacket I think it's a good idea to send Will at Aero some of these pics' and get his opinions on the sizing of your HB

Cheers

D

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Smoz- fantastic, your highwayman is breaking in very nicely. I would say that the sleeves do look a tad on the long side. Better that than too short though. I don't know if they are long enough that I would alter them.
How do you find the Harris tweed as a liner? Is it warm, scratchy? It was your jacket that prompted me to order it as the liner in my halfbelt that is on order with aero currently.

The highwayman looks good, and if it were smaller, you'd not be able to wear layers under it - but maybe you don't care?
Sleeves will wrinkle and ride up more as Windy said. Congrat's!

As for your next jacket - the 50's HBD, I have one on order myself at the moment.
I went Oil Pull, with "Chisholm Hunting Modern tartan" lining. Tartan can be seen here... It's the lower of the two.
Olive cord pockets, cotton drill sleeves.
Detachable mouton collar, no extra pockets.
A2 snaps on collar.
Leather strip along inside bottom.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey ButteMT61;

Had a call from Amanda this A.M. She said you said it would be OK for Aero to deliver your 50's HBD to me since you'll be in France at that time. Just wanted to say "Thanks."
I'll do the hot water treatment on it to shrink it up just a tad so it fits me.
Thanks buddy!

Regards,
coffee

Hey ButteMT61;

Had a call from Amanda this A.M. She said you said it would be OK for Aero to deliver your 50's HBD to me since you'll be in France at that time. Just wanted to say "Thanks."
I'll do the hot water treatment on it to shrink it up just a tad so it fits me.
Thanks buddy!

Regards,
coffee

lol TMC! Maybe we can meet for a beer? I'm planning on going to the Aero factory to pick it up, so let's all meet and have a pint???
My jacket might look funny on you though - I think I'm a size bigger than you :)
Maybe Mr. Smoz can meet up too???

too much coffee

Practically Family
I was fortunate enough to jump into Normandy during the 40th year anniversary of D-Day in 1984 while a member of the 82d Airborne Div.

There used to be (hopefully still is) a gift store/museum in St. Mere Eglise; right across from the church where Pvt. John Steele got hung up on(and the dummy parachutist is still displayed). It was really a good item on the bucket list. So many things to do and see.

I know you'll have a blast.................BTW, did you ever decide on a pair of walking shoes/boots?

Best regards,
coffee

I was fortunate enough to jump into Normandy during the 40th year anniversary of D-Day in 1984 while a member of the 82d Airborne Div.

There used to be (hopefully still is) a gift store/museum in St. Mere Eglise; right across from the church where Pvt. John Steele got hung up on(and the dummy parachutist is still displayed). It was really a good item on the bucket list. So many things to do and see.

I know you'll have a blast.................BTW, did you ever decide on a pair of walking shoes/boots?

Best regards,
coffee

I guess that means no pint??? :(
Hard to believe I'll be there almost 30 years after you!
I did get some boots. "Rockport Trail Cap" model. They look old-school - as in, early 1900's. I love them! And I get compliments wherever I go. I'm ordering a second pair in the dark (pinecone) color now.
Got them on sale for 20% off. See them Here.
Sorry for the threadjack...

smoz

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions folk, I must say that the people on this forum are amongst the most friendly and helpful I have come across. I think that I am swaying towards keeping the fit of my second Aero the same as this one, it is usually better to be very slightly too big than very slightly too small.

Hi Smoz,
Nice jacket, looks good!, the length of the sleeves could end up fine as Windward says, once they get a little more wrinkly, I personally would certainly not take more than 1/2" from them for your next, the body fit looks fine to me! remember for 4-5 months you will probably need to layer more underneath the jacket, as for your next jacket I think it's a good idea to send Will at Aero some of these pics' and get his opinions on the sizing of your HB

Cheers

D

Good suggestion, I have been dealing with the ever patient Amanda, I shall email her my fit pics. When I ordered my Highwayman I bombarded her with emails firing questions at her and requests for new alterations as they occurred to me, when I placed the order for the fifties half belt I emailed her asking her to contact me a week or so before my order got to the top of the pile so that I could save up all my questions and requests for one or two emails/calls.

Smoz- fantastic, your highwayman is breaking in very nicely. I would say that the sleeves do look a tad on the long side. Better that than too short though. I don't know if they are long enough that I would alter them.
How do you find the Harris tweed as a liner? Is it warm, scratchy? It was your jacket that prompted me to order it as the liner in my halfbelt that is on order with aero currently.

I love the Harris Tweed lining, it is not as soft as other linings but it looks great. As for warmth, I received the jacket in May so have only worn it through a mild British summer and can't comment on how warm it would keep you through the winter but I suspect that being wool based it should provide fairly good insulation, especially if worn with a thin sweater.

The highwayman looks good, and if it were smaller, you'd not be able to wear layers under it - but maybe you don't care?
Sleeves will wrinkle and ride up more as Windy said. Congrat's!

As for your next jacket - the 50's HBD, I have one on order myself at the moment.
I went Oil Pull, with "Chisholm Hunting Modern tartan" lining. Tartan can be seen here... It's the lower of the two.
Olive cord pockets, cotton drill sleeves.
Detachable mouton collar, no extra pockets.
A2 snaps on collar.
Leather strip along inside bottom.

Sounds good, I was very tempted by the brown oil pull but the brown FQHH has so many fans on here that it has won me over (until I change my mind yet again). I think your choice of tartan should go very well, looking forward to seeing some pictures on here when it arrives.

lol TMC! Maybe we can meet for a beer? I'm planning on going to the Aero factory to pick it up, so let's all meet and have a pint???
My jacket might look funny on you though - I think I'm a size bigger than you :)
Maybe Mr. Smoz can meet up too???

A pint always sounds like a good plan to me, three or four even better. Let me know if you come through London on your way up to see Aero in Scotland, do you have a translator for when you get up there?

"A pint always sounds like a good plan to me, three or four even better. Let me know if you come through London on your way up to see Aero in Scotland, do you have a translator for when you get up there?"

We're staying with friends in Durham. No interpreter, per se, but if all I have to do is buy you some pints, you're hired! :)
Should be the end of November-ish.
As for patient - I ordered my 50's HBD from Mark (AERO USA) and have changed so many times that it even makes MY head spin. I have a new respect for these people after this. I'm sure my email tally for ONE jacket is ~100 (so far)
It's incredibly difficult not to overthink the whole thing, as others have mentioned.

Last edited:

smoz

One of the Regulars
We're staying with friends in Durham. No interpreter, per se, but if all I have to do is buy you some pints, you're hired! :)
Should be the end of November-ish.
As for patient - I ordered my 50's HBD from Mark (AERO USA) and have changed so many times that it even makes MY head spin. I have a new respect for these people after this. I'm sure my email tally for ONE jacket is ~100 (so far)
It's incredibly difficult not to overthink the whole thing, as others have mentioned.

Any idea when you expect to receive your HBD? I ordered mine in mid September and Amanda told me then that the lead time was about 14-16 weeks, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it may be here before Christmas.

Have you been to Durham before? It is a beautiful city, I used to work with someone who went to university there. If you can understand the locals' accents in Durham you are probably half way to being able to understand people in Scotland, did you know that the people who make the Simpsons deliberately tone down Groundskeeper Willie's accent so that he is more easily understood? ;)

Any idea when you expect to receive your HBD? I ordered mine in mid September and Amanda told me then that the lead time was about 14-16 weeks, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it may be here before Christmas.

Have you been to Durham before? It is a beautiful city, I used to work with someone who went to university there. If you can understand the locals' accents in Durham you are probably half way to being able to understand people in Scotland, did you know that the people who make the Simpsons deliberately tone down Groundskeeper Willie's accent so that he is more easily understood? ;)

My buddy is on faculty at Durham. I can only understand him when he's not talking Brit :) He did get me hooked on Viz, Faulty Towers, Black 'adder, The IT Crowd, etc., so the humor is not lost on my American noggin.
As for sounding like Willie - that's exactly the sound that goes through my brain when I think about it. :)
I ordered in July I think. Not sure if it will be done, but even if it's not, I'll go and check the place out and meet the staff. Might get some ideas on the next jacket too!

smoz

One of the Regulars
My buddy is on faculty at Durham. I can only understand him when he's not talking Brit :) He did get me hooked on Viz, Faulty Towers, Black 'adder, The IT Crowd, etc., so the humor is not lost on my American noggin.
As for sounding like Willie - that's exactly the sound that goes through my brain when I think about it. :)
I ordered in July I think. Not sure if it will be done, but even if it's not, I'll go and check the place out and meet the staff. Might get some ideas on the next jacket too!

I have a feeling that Aero jackets are a little like tattoos, once you have one you know that you will eventually end up getting more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana