Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hillside leather jackets...any owners here?

Thanks. You'd have to ask them, but as far as I know, it's naked-naked. It is a bit shiny though.
Thanks again man. These guys have been on my radar for some time. There's just not a whole lot of info about them out there. Thanks for taking the time.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
I ordered a stock 44 in Brown without the belt for $368 shipped.
About a year ago. It is definitely a thick quality jacket and I'm well pleased with it.
It has been pretty hot down here in the Swamps so I haven't worn it much.
I put it in the same functionality as a Vanson or Schott, which I have.
A bargain in my opinion!
And it really looks great OFF the bike, with a pair of jeans.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
These look awesome! If I had not just bought another jacket from the classifieds here :) I would be game to order one to try out. Guppy that jacket looks nearly as heavy and well-built as my Gibson & Barnes Cornado. And 40% of the original price! Nice work...

Tony - you positively need one of these! :)

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
Curious about the above mentioned company: https://www.hillsideusa.com/
I've got my eye on one or two of their jackets and wondered if anyone around here has any experience with them. Prices are attractive for what they offer. Any info from the knowledge base here would be greatly appreciated!

The jacket pictured in post #11 was mine (sold it last year). I ordered the jacket new through a local leather shop and had it customized to my specs (size, delete hand warmer pockets, no side buckles, etc). Here was my experience (this is my personal experience / opinion, and not meant to be fuel for debate):

1. The model jacket I tried on at my local leather shop was of much higher grade horsehide than the one that arrived. The jacket that arrived was a lot thinner. I personally liked the thicker original leather better. Hillside told my shop owner that they were no longer using the thicker leather as they had too many complaints about the weight and break in. The thinner leather was nice as a kick around jacket but not something I'd want to wear on a motorcycle — it felt a lot like the China made Harley jackets found at HD dealerships. The leather also seemed to stretch if hung over a chair while at the restaurant.

2. The first custom jacket had to be remade because the sizing was off (even though measurements were taken directly off the model jacket and sent by my local leather shop). The second custom jacket fit well, but was still a bit short in the sleeves. Again, fine for a casual jacket, not a motorcycle riding jacket.

3. I opted not to get the leather lined pockets as I think they add too much bulk to the jacket and you can see the outline due to the thinner leather shell. Instead of putting in a cotton/duck pocket they installed a very thin vinyl like material. The pocket material shifted badly, and created a lot of heat in those spots. Also if anything was carried in the pockets its outline was visible due to the thin shell. The pockets were basically useless, and had I kept the jacket I would have cut out the vinyl material.

4. The main zipper didn't zip tight to the snap collar which left a hole for air to get in. Also the collar was fairly loose which left a gap between the jacket and my neck (I wear a 16.5" dress shirt collar).

Overall, I think for the price that Hillside is ok, but nothing special. Maybe their cowhide is nicer, but I was not impressed with their horse. I have owned jackets by Langlitz, Aero, Vanson, Harley, First Manufacturing, and Hillside. Personally, I like Vanson the best. Langlitz struggled to get my sizing right and ended up refunding my money, but their leather is stellar (smooth, smells great, feel fantastic). Aero looks the best but I was sensitive to the smell of CXL leather. For the money, I don't think you can get anything nicer than Vanson. I have a custom CHP on order from Vanson through Thurston Bros (should be here in June) to go with my Model B.

Just my couple of pennies from ordering and owning the particular jacket pictured.

Oh yeah... lastly, Hillside makes jackets for PFC leather which are cheaper priced but still have a Hillside label.

Thanks
The jacket pictured in post #11 was mine (sold it last year). I ordered the jacket new through a local leather shop and had it customized to my specs (size, delete hand warmer pockets, no side buckles, etc). Here was my experience (this is my personal experience / opinion, and not meant to be fuel for debate):

1. The model jacket I tried on at my local leather shop was of much higher grade horsehide than the one that arrived. The jacket that arrived was a lot thinner. I personally liked the thicker original leather better. Hillside told my shop owner that they were no longer using the thicker leather as they had too many complaints about the weight and break in. The thinner leather was nice as a kick around jacket but not something I'd want to wear on a motorcycle — it felt a lot like the China made Harley jackets found at HD dealerships. The leather also seemed to stretch if hung over a chair while at the restaurant.

2. The first custom jacket had to be remade because the sizing was off (even though measurements were taken directly off the model jacket and sent by my local leather shop). The second custom jacket fit well, but was still a bit short in the sleeves. Again, fine for a casual jacket, not a motorcycle riding jacket.

3. I opted not to get the leather lined pockets as I think they add too much bulk to the jacket and you can see the outline due to the thinner leather shell. Instead of putting in a cotton/duck pocket they installed a very thin vinyl like material. The pocket material shifted badly, and created a lot of heat in those spots. Also if anything was carried in the pockets its outline was visible due to the thin shell. The pockets were basically useless, and had I kept the jacket I would have cut out the vinyl material.

4. The main zipper didn't zip tight to the snap collar which left a hole for air to get in. Also the collar was fairly loose which left a gap between the jacket and my neck (I wear a 16.5" dress shirt collar).

Overall, I think for the price that Hillside is ok, but nothing special. Maybe their cowhide is nicer, but I was not impressed with their horse. I have owned jackets by Langlitz, Aero, Vanson, Harley, First Manufacturing, and Hillside. Personally, I like Vanson the best. Langlitz struggled to get my sizing right and ended up refunding my money, but their leather is stellar (smooth, smells great, feel fantastic). Aero looks the best but I was sensitive to the smell of CXL leather. For the money, I don't think you can get anything nicer than Vanson. I have a custom CHP on order from Vanson through Thurston Bros (should be here in June) to go with my Model B.

Just my couple of pennies from ordering and owning the particular jacket pictured.

Oh yeah... lastly, Hillside makes jackets for PFC leather which are cheaper priced but still have a Hillside label.
thanks for sharing! It's good to hear from this experienced community.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

Overall, I think for the price that Hillside is ok, but nothing special. Maybe their cowhide is nicer, but I was not impressed with their horse.

That's a damn shame, and I don't blame you for feeling that way based on that experience. When I ordered my custom, I too felt that their regular weight leather was not as thick as I was looking for, and I requested (and got) heavier. When I bought mine in 2014, IIRC they said that they were using 1.3-1.5mm, and I told them to go with 1.6-1.8mm for me.

I'm not sure that I would go with leather lined pockets again, they do add some thickness. Maybe leather reinforced bags, or just heavy duck would have been more than adequate durability wise.

I love the leather lined pockets on my JL! If someone were to attempt and stab me in that area their knife would bend backwards and become buried in the would be assailants hand.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I love the leather lined pockets on my JL! If someone were to attempt and stab me in that area their knife would bend backwards and become buried in the would be assailants hand.
Lol. There's a point on mine, where the flap of the coin pocket to the inside of the jacket, through two inside pockets, ends up being about an inch+ thick. It's a bit much.

Since I got that Vanson cop jacket, I can't go back to non leather lined pockets anymore. It's the best thing ever!

So33

One of the Regulars
I picked up that j100 in post #11. The fit is great, not baggy, long or short.
The leather is no were near the Horsehide that Aero uses. It is very light duty.
I think the j100 style is designed as a light duty jacket and Hillside nailed it.
If I was in the market for motorcycle jacket, Hillside would be a good utility pick.
Made in USA, good price point, fit and finnish.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
ac1cec96e29e8ce874f68cf3038553d6.jpg
f6403008b5766b52185f735677e9414f.jpg
d84eabdcad6844050dba2d4c71795f03.jpg

Just received hillside horsehide d pocket jacket, disappointed, I have owned 7 leather jacket, from $99 dollars mall jacket to Lost worlds high-end jacket, this is probably the worst, the plastic feel of the leather reminds me my first ck faux leather jacket, please just stay away from their HORSEHIDE jacket.

ac1cec96e29e8ce874f68cf3038553d6.jpg
f6403008b5766b52185f735677e9414f.jpg
d84eabdcad6844050dba2d4c71795f03.jpg

Just received hillside horsehide d pocket jacket, disappointed, I have owned 7 leather jacket, from $99 dollars mall jacket to Lost worlds high-end jacket, this is probably the worst, the plastic feel of the leather reminds me my first ck faux leather jacket, please just stay away from their HORSEHIDE jacket.
Aw man that's a shame!! The fit looks great! Can you post some close up shots of the leather? Is it waxy? Man it looks pretty damn good but you'd obviously know better...It's in your hands. Is it heavy? The chest pocket looks like it's set at an angle. That's a bit odd to me...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
It appears that you tried to get it fitted well, but it just does not work. Sleeves look (sorry) like balloons on your arms.
I agree if you could post some up-close photos that would be helpful.
Hope you can send it back, and move on...

Looks really good to me. The sleeves are fine, a bit baggy but that's how it goes with proper Perfecto jackets and it fits you really well. On the photos, leather doesn't look any worse than any black Vicenza I've seen here but yeah, let's see some close ups. :D

Schott and Vanson still look a lot worse out of the box and we all know how nice those jackets end up once worn for a while.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
According to their measurement, the sleeve of size 42 or 44 is too long for me, as you can see if in size 40, the sleeve is still little bit too long. In photo it may look decent, but it's impossible to wear, it's just too tight. About leather, I will upload the close shot today, but again, the leather somehow looks much nicer in photos, there is no way I will spend $500 for this kind of quality jacket

It's 7.2 lbs, I have no idea why this jacket is that heavy since the leather is very thin. As soft as lambskin, except lambskin has much nicer touch.
It also has unpleasant chemical smell

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider