Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hillside leather jackets...any owners here?

According to their measurement, the sleeve of size 42 or 44 is too long for me, as you can see if in size 40, the sleeve is still little bit too long. In photo it may look decent, but it's impossible to wear, it's just too tight. About leather, I will upload the close shot today, but again, the leather somehow looks much nicer in photos, there is no way I will spend $500 for this kind of quality jacket

It's 7.2 lbs, I have no idea why this jacket is that heavy since the leather is very thin. As soft as lambskin, except lambskin has much nicer touch.
It also has unpleasant chemical smell
hmmm. I would like to see some tight shots of the hide. I have to say in reviewing the photos on my PC the fit is a bit....odd. Sleeves have way too much slop in the elbow to wrist area...It does look like a drastic taper from the mid gut to the bottom hem. On the plus side they seem to offer a no questions asked return policy.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The fit does not look as bad as you make it sound. These baggy sleeves are fairly common on MC jackets. It's a thing with many Vansons too. Same thing with sleeve length. Perfectly common. Other than that the jacket is just tighter than I would want it but it's the size you picked, or is it custom?

Close ups of the leather would be very cool, maybe that helps us understand your disappointment. Regarding leather thickness/weight: 7 lbs is heavier than most Vansons, so the leather can't be that thin. Maybe it is shaved thinner at the seams so it's easier to sew?

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I didn't think Hillside was going to make it here. Their HH has a reputation for being very thin and flimsy.......They claim their cowhide is full grain, which I do not believe.

Last edited:

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
@ton312
f2df45246dacb461698efc06821981a7.jpg
3470507794894397104107b680b94c8e.jpg
7ef64245054d0b943ff017a9ad166a5d.jpg
0d73fdcb5075ff86858fcf74174c7a60.jpg
83ea22d727a7b72a4fe93ba2bca589aa.jpg

For $500, I'd send it back. That kinda money can get you a much better jacket, even a brand new one. Hell, you could score two Vanson jackets on eBay for $500.

You're right, @ton312, but the CR in the classifieds also didn't seem even remotely bad as this! It's clear from the fit photos that the jacket is not exactly substantial - tho I still like the way it looks on Klavier - while that other CR is made of a clearly heavier and nicer HH.
In any case, that's not nice at all. If it's really that embossed stuff, it won't ever get any character or even creases. They just slap a ton of that plastic top coat that prevents it. It's probably what's making the jacket so heavy, too...

Last edited:

ERDM

New in Town
I wish I'd found this thread before I ordered a Hillsideusa horsehide cafe racer. It's heavy and the leather is 1.2mm as advertised, but I'm definitely returning it. The grain looks nothing like the horsehide swatch I got from them prior to ordering. I'd love to get some opinions from others who know about this stuff.
20171110_182517.jpg

20171110_182603.jpg

It's pretty disappointing, but that's my fault I suppose. I got sucked in by the low price and didn't do my homework. Once I get my money refunded I'll be saving up for an Aero Cafe Racer from Thruston-Bros.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
ERDM - Welcome! Hope you find this place interesting and helpful. Sorry about that order you had, you will not go wrong with Thurston Brothers Aero Cafe Racer. That's the first one I bought from them as well. Enjoy! :)

Man that leather just looks plain bad. Shame. It'd be nice to have another company offering some different styles but it appears hillside isn't it.
At least you can take advantage of their return policy and put the $ to better use.

Sometimes I think of how we go for the same stuff.
Their buffalo hide has caught my eye months ago when I was just scrolling through their web site.
Yeah but after reading hammer's review it's a solid nope for me. It's really a shame. I was hoping to see better results!

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
Yeah but after reading hammer's review it's a solid nope for me. It's really a shame. I was hoping to see better results!

I just read it now...jeeezuz, why are they selling couch leather jackets after selling nice leather jackets...I don't know!
The leather on ERDM jacket is the dullest thing that ever came from a tannery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ