Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather Co.

technovox

One Too Many
My Kensington. Absolutely love it! The Shinki that Himel sources is friggin amazing...

HimelMain.JPG

himel1680.JPG

AndrewC

New in Town
^ Dave is putting webbing under my sleeve zippers to protect my watches (and wrists).

The only thing that turned me off about the Himel originally was that the sleeve zippers were unlined, but now that I am used to it, I prefer it that way. I find the sleeves very narrow at the wrist, which I like as it keeps the arms from flopping around. And when the sleeve zippers are done up, there isn't that bunched up lining sticking into my arm. Also, when it is warm out, I find unzipping the sleeves a bit lets some airflow up the arm and helps keep my arms cool. Also, the welting on the arm zippers looks very nice. However, I never wear a watch and I see that could be an issue. Are you making any other changes (just curious)?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only thing that turned me off about the Himel originally was that the sleeve zippers were unlined, but now that I am used to it, I prefer it that way. I find the sleeves very narrow at the wrist, which I like as it keeps the arms from flopping around. And when the sleeve zippers are done up, there isn't that bunched up lining sticking into my arm. Also, when it is warm out, I find unzipping the sleeves a bit lets some airflow up the arm and helps keep my arms cool. Also, the welting on the arm zippers looks very nice.

Personally, I do not like how narrow the sleeve ends are on Dave's standard Kensington. That said, I do not ride a motorcycle and the issues that you referenced do not apply to me. Moreover, I wear watches that warrant protection. I have a RMC J-100 with slightly wider sleeves and webbing under the zipper, and it works great for me. Thus, I spec'd my Kensington sleeve ends similar to my RMC sleeve ends.

Are you making any other changes (just curious)?

A few . . . :eek: . . . non-standard chest (41), non-standard taper, longer sleeves and body, longer front zipper . . . and a partridge and a pear tree.

tropicalbob

I just noticed that the Himel Bros. Railroad jacket is on the Orvis Sale page right now. With an extra 25% discount you can pick one up for about $1,000.00. All sizes seen to be available.

Reactions: A-1

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Curious as to what the issue was, sizing, quality?

Leather and overall quality was great, but it was a really weird fit in the neck. The neck hole was huge, and the neck/collar area didn't lay naturally. The effect was it made me look like I had a string bean-like pencil neck jutting out of the coat, and I have a normal neck with no special neck requirements of other jackets or clothing lol.

The fit otherwise was good on me, but the sleeves were too long. I knew that going in though, and would have had them adjusted if it hadn't been for the neck issue. The measurements on their site aren't accurate. They run a size big, I got a size M. If anyone's going to take the plunge, contact Orvis via chat and have them give you the real measurements.

It was a no risk purchase as they have a good refund policy, but it took a month for me to get my $$ back

Reactions: A-1

tropicalbob

Everything I've gotten from Orvis has been big. I'm about a 38, but their jackets are sized 38-40, with it being a very large 40. I think it's vanity sizing for big, beef-fed, middle-aged guys. Really makes you appreciate custom fits. Still, it looks like a beautiful jacket.

willyto

One Too Many
Leather and overall quality was great, but it was a really weird fit in the neck. The neck hole was huge, and the neck/collar area didn't lay naturally. The effect was it made me look like I had a string bean-like pencil neck jutting out of the coat, and I have a normal neck with no special neck requirements of other jackets or clothing lol.

The fit otherwise was good on me, but the sleeves were too long. I knew that going in though, and would have had them adjusted if it hadn't been for the neck issue. The measurements on their site aren't accurate. They run a size big, I got a size M. If anyone's going to take the plunge, contact Orvis via chat and have them give you the real measurements.

It was a no risk purchase as they have a good refund policy, but it took a month for me to get my $$ back

That's unacceptable. They sure are fast to take your money but when it comes to give it back most stores keep your money for a lot of time. That should be punishable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points