Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historic Hillwalking

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I'm not sure that it is quite like the Grenfell fishing jacket that Pipvh shows us, note the lack of bellows pockets etc.

Coincidentally I was going to remark (mainly for the benefit of Hal) that it resembles in style (although rather more volunious and with a windflap) the Grenfell Walker jacket that we both own and enjoy. This style is still available today and has remaining almost unchanged since the 1960s.

By the way, doesn't the outfit worn by the gentleman in the goggles resemble a WW2 Artillery 'wrap'?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
By the way, doesn't the outfit worn by the gentleman in the goggles resemble a WW2 Artillery 'wrap'?

Yes!
The ubiquitous, '30s European ski blouse style.
Similar, I guess, or a member of the same family the Kletterweste
belongs to. But the Kletterweste, is perhaps, more usually found as a single breasted jacket and the ski jacket in double breasted style.
But I could be wrong there.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Re: catalog scans

The ponygirl's guy's "Huntersjacket" is in "hunters gabardine", impreg. double layered.

The klettervest (they are d.b. here in Holland) is the "Dachstein" model vestcoat in khaki uniform wool (keperlaken).

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes. Note the (R) on the label. The earlier labels don't have this. I bet this came with breeches when new!

Note the type of inner wrist fastening, which was also used by Belstaff on its walking and shooting jackets.

Mysterious Mose said:
This is more like Mr. Pip's, with belt:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-GRENFELL-WALKING-FISHING-POACHERS-JACKET-_W0QQitemZ160403941499QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100215?IMSfp=TL100215122002r18637

Yes, bellows pockets. There's that very nice 1930's Grenfell Climbing Jacket in "Invisible on Everest" they all seem to have borrowed from

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Mysterious Mose said:
From Carl Denig's summer 1950 catalog:
img010.jpg

img012.jpg

I love the two pics from 1950. Thanks for posting them, and feel free to post any more or other years that aren't in the other thread. :)

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Thanks, I assume you saw the catalogs in the Winter Wear thread and the Barbour Beacon Thread.
It seems that Hillwalking popularity faded after WWII, in Holland anyway.
A lot of people vowed never to set foot in Germany again (where the hills are, we have none and England was always very,very expensive as a holiday country, France was too hot, Belgium is excellent, still, the Ardennes was the centre of tourism in the late 1800's, but for some reason that faded away) The boyscouts and similar youth organisations were seen as a pseudo-fascist, even when I was a kid in the seventies.
So the postwar cats. focus on canoeing and pingpong mostly.
But I'm always looking out for the prewar stuff and will post when I find any.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mysterious Mose said:
Re:

The klettervest (they are d.b. here in Holland) is the "Dachstein" model vestcoat in khaki uniform wool (keperlaken).

Yes, I'm sure.
My angle/initiation was the BDM Kletterweste, you know the evil small girls'
one-
SB, vest/waistcoat style, 4 small inverse pleat pockets, in that suede effect cloth, Velveton(???)which is like a heavy, napp-y moleskin, in a tan-ish khaki shade.

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
BDM%201-742946.jpg

Ah,the BDSM. Man, I love plaits! The girl in the middle wears a male buttoned, six buttons, one.

The black manchester klettervest was the tradional dutch workjacket of the last century,my Granddad always wore one, db, zippered pockets, leather side adjusters. They stopped making them now. Ther's a pic in the workwear thread, guy with a basket.

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Mysterious Mose said:
It seems that Hillwalking popularity faded after WWII, in Holland anyway.
A lot of people vowed never to set foot in Germany again (where the hills are, we have none and England was always very,very expensive as a holiday country, France was too hot, Belgium is excellent, still, the Ardennes was the centre of tourism in the late 1800's, but for some reason that faded away) The boyscouts and similar youth organisations were seen as a pseudo-fascist, even when I was a kid in the seventies.
So the postwar cats. focus on canoeing and pingpong mostly.
But I'm always looking out for the prewar stuff and will post when I find any.

Thank you for the reply.

I should have thought about the attitudes of post war Europe; that is a great point. I guess I forget sometimes that different countries in Europe are somewhat limited in the diversity of their topography.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Happy Birthday Chief!

b_p_geneva_1922_imagelarge.jpg

"I believe that God put us in this jolly world to be happy and enjoy life. Happiness doesn't come from being rich, nor merely from being successful in your career, nor by self-indulgence. One step towards happiness is to make yourself healthy and strong while you are a boy, so that you can be useful and so can enjoy life when you are a man. Nature study will show you how full of beautiful and wonderful things God has made the world for you to enjoy. Be contented with what you have got and make the best of it. Look on the bright side of things instead of the gloomy one. But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you found it and when your turn come to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best. "Be Prepared" in this way, to live happy and to die happy - stick to your Scout promise always - even after you have ceased to be a boy - and God help you do it."

Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell 22 February 1857 – 8 January 1941

pipvh

Practically Family
The coat/jacket of the Gent standing beside the grinning horse-girl-
is that perhaps something similar to the "Grenfell" coat that Pipvh has
recently purchased?

I was wondering the same thing, but as said jacket has yet to arrive I'm unable to provide enlightenment. Hopefully it'll come this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the chap in the assault gunner wrap and plus-fours looks spectacularly pleased with himself. I wonder what the reaction would be if one walked into a Dartmoor pub sporting that rig. I'm tempted to find out.

pipvh

Practically Family
Hmm. No Grenfell in the post today. I'm getting impatient - plus it's pouring with rain. I could have gone for a bit of a test hike...

Don't forget to bring that pickel.

Yes, I think the ice-axe is a much-neglected part of the Devon walker's kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm