Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historic Hillwalking

Lillemor

One Too Many
My husband and I like to plan our hikes from a Danish site called bestigbjerge.dk It's only in Danish. It has driving, parking and hiking instructions and some historical information about the point you're hiking out to so I always bring a print-out and the boys enjoy being told about the history of the place we've hiked out to. They think it's better than a treasure hunt.

My main concern is keeping our boys from running too far ahead of us and getting lost. Often times I've no idea what we've seen until I get home and see the photos.lol I'm a hen mother and my eyes are always on the boys. Apparel aestetics is of a very low priority. Comfort and durability is my top all that matters.

Thermo sox and hiking boots (which are currently my regular winter boots) are indispensible. If I can affford to set any money off for costly purchases for myself then durable, all purpose, all weather footwear is at the top of my list and more attractive vintage clothes very low on my shopping list. These look similar to the ECCO boots I wear for winter: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/asolo-tps-520-gtx-hiking-boots--womens I'm just worried about wearing down my only pair of boots for winter at some time where it's financially inconvenient.

I'll probably check out the xpedition and Ultra Terrain 1.1 styles from ECCO which is my favorite footwear brand: http://www.ecco.com/dk/da/kollektion/damer/outdoor/index.jsp

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Sorry, expressions of condolence over my virtual injuries are dropping on my virtual doormat.

BT, I owe you a gratis No6. Jacket, Bush, Mans, anyway. I know which I'd prefer! The postage goes up after 2.2 kg - I think both will go under this limit or I can split them.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Condolences over recent events? You have a following.

Herbert, I don't understand.
Is this a demand of funds for two garments of the uncommon
cum non-garden variety? Is the Bush Jacket offered earlier in this thread
being offered in this instance, bundled with the No.6'er?

I think another virtual telegraph is in order.

Adieu.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Lillemor said:
Apparel aestetics is of a very low priority. Comfort and durability is my top all that matters.

For the Historic Hillwalker, comfort and durability are paramount.
Combining these factors and observing an "own" aesthetic (rather than one of "fashion") is the challenge.
Sourcing and researching quality, traditional, or historical clothing, equipment and gear that actually works can be a challenge, great fun and supremely rewarding.

Discovering, or re-discovering historical, traditional clothing and materials that allow you to escape the technical fabrics, modern hype and marketing can be quite liberating.

Write that down, BT.

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Amen to that, BT.

When walking, it's inevitable that at some stage you're going to get wet, outside or inside (the garments) and that they'll be a level of discomfort. So let's look good on the hills. And let's discard the plastic so we look good and don't smell bad.

Yours in leather, silk, bamboo, cotton and wool,

Creeping Past, (Mr.)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A couple of days ago, I went for a short walk around a lake.
Anyway, I was stared down, by a freak-human, as in, it stopped, wiped its nose, spat and stared at me. I stopped for a second, belched loudly, in an attempt to communicate on the same level as this poor beast and carried on. The "man" was wearing a dayglo pink, very thin, very wet anorak, with a terrible fit and stretchy track-suit "pants". There was a halo of steam emitting from the body of the dayglo one, which although quite disgusting gives the impression of some form of transpiration, at least. I was wearing cotton, all over- it did not kill me.
I am glad to have escaped the muggy, nylon/polyester/lycra cocoon.

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I find it interesting that when I used to drive one of my 1930s or 1940s cars, wherever I parked I often attracted a crowd and lots of positive comments.

When I wear and use 1940s gear for walking, people give me strange looks (or worse) and sometimes openly express disbelief. I don't understand why a 1940s rucksack or pair of boots isn't as interesting to a walking enthusiast as a 1940s car is to a driver.

Well, I do, really. It's that walking is now regarded as 'technical' - probably because the magazines tell you it is. You're supposed to have the latest, lightest, shiniest gear. They sneer because my Ventile (r) smock isn't as waterproof as their Gore-tex (TM) version. No, it's not, but my 1937 Ford isn't as fast or manouverable as a 2009 model and they loved my old 'banger'. It's more interesting, more character-full. And my Bergan (with its leather yoke with the little cartoons of hikers on it) is heavier and creakier than a new cordura packpack - but it is also more interesting and more full of character. That, to me, is what vintage walking is about. And, like my father, I wouldn't dream of staying off the hills just because I was wet. You're not made of sugar, he used to tell me...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Ah, northern English weather-blindness. Even now, somewhere in Yorkshire, a father whispers to his son on the tops through gritted teeth in a horizontal biblical downpour: "Go home? Now? It's just a sea-fret, lad. It'll blow over before you know it."

shortbow

Practically Family
Well, I'm certainly on the same page as you boys on all the silly "technical" clothing and gear, but what really drives me around the bend is this two ski poles while walking thing. What is that supposed to accomplish exactly?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm not so down on that, Shortbow. I use one stick on occasions because I've an old injury that sometimes means I need a little support. Two sticks give more support. I see what you mean — it could be considered a bit affected or precious — but it gives your knees a helping hand (so to speak). I'd probably give someone a hard frown if they were using them in town, though.

shortbow

Practically Family
No problem with one good stout wooden stick, I'm partial to them myself; ditto if you need two for injuries, but it's this whole plastic and aluminum thing where you see twenty-somethings kitted out in polypropylene and titanium heading up the trail with these two metal appendages hanging from their hands. How did anyone actually walk unaided for the last million years?

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks BT, read that, I get it now, still find it very strange. 46% increase in energy consumption, it says. Great if you want to lose weight or get a workout I suppose, dumb as a sack of hammers in the bush though if you have to cover any amount of ground or use any tools like bins, camera, rifle etc.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
When I wear and use 1940s gear for walking, people give me strange looks (or worse) and sometimes openly express disbelief. I don't understand why a 1940s rucksack or pair of boots isn't as interesting to a walking enthusiast as a 1940s car is to a driver.

Well, I do, really. It's that walking is now regarded as 'technical' - probably because the magazines tell you it is. You're supposed to have the latest, lightest, shiniest gear.

This is very well said. I do have some modern hiking/hunting gear but the quest for the "best tech" in many of the outdoor sports rather baffles me.

One thing I really do not get is the superhero "Under Armor" craze that has taken over outdoor activities. Now before the UA guys come in and tell me how great it is, yes I do know it has some advantages and if you were doing intense work in rugged conditions, extreme cold, etc. But I see lots of people "squeezed" into their superhero gear for short day hikes in temperate conditions. I have a good friend who is almost obsessive about "technical gear" a short walk in the park normally requires 3-4 pieces of UA and some strange shoes. I guess I'm wierd but someone squeezing myself into a spiderman suit somehow clashes with the idea of a nice relaxing hike in nature...

In answer to Doublegun's post on the double sticks, they are quite handy when you are going up and down very steep/rocky terrain. I've used them in Alaska and here on lava rock in Hawaii and they really do work. Having said that for most hiking a single stick is really all you need. I normally only use one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB