Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historic Movie Palaces

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
Here are some pics of the Alabama Theater in Birmingham Alabama. She was built in 1927, and is known as the showplace of the south!
570134cr.jpg

570132cr.jpg

570148cr.jpg

Sleepy LaGoon

New in Town
We had a fantastic 1920's theater, the Paramount, in Cedar Rapids:

Param.JPG

With the original Wurlitzer organ that accompanied silent movies:
wurliconsole.jpg

The disasterous flooding of one year ago next week destroyed much. I can't embed a direct link to the "after" photo, unfortunately:
http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/p...NEWS&Lopenr=745098849&Ref=PH&Item=11&Maxw=670

The theater had just been completely renovated in 2001, and stepping into it was definitely a trip into the past. It even had penny fortune scales in the lower level, which I'm sure are gone. The plan is to restore it, but due to historical concerns it must use original techniques and methods, which are expensive nowadays.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_Theater_(Cedar_Rapids,_Iowa)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Here in Honolulu we still have the Hawaii Theatre, though it does not play films anymore, it does live acts and theatre. Built in 1922, closed in the 1980s and re-opened

HawaiiTheatre_parterre.jpg

venue-HawaiiTheatre-ci.jpg

tuned__50_marquee-f0050.jpg

Circa 1941:
ht41.gif

Hawaii%20Theatre%20Night%20circa%201941.jpg

We USED to have the wonderful deco Waikiki Theatre (1936), but it was sadly torn down about 5 years ago. I was lucky enough to see one last movie there in the 1990s.

neg_1266_Waikiki_Theater_1941.jpg

45298327LzQamI_fs.jpg

JennyLou

Practically Family
I've been dying to see a movie at the El Capitan in LA, especially the Wurlitzer Organ that was originally in the Fox Theater in San Francisco and relocated to the Capitan.

barra063

Familiar Face
I saw Les Miserable at the pantages (gorgeous). I really miss the old style movie houses. Somehow the megaplex don't cut the mustard for the movie experience. I live in Adelaide in Australia. I am surprised how many old movie houses there were. Only last night I was at an RSL club (VFW) and next door there was some stores. You could tell the building was an old movie theatre and there are many like that around. Even really small little country towns had a movie house. Darwin NT had an outdoor movie theatre. We still have a couple of theatres that are old and have not been artsy fartsied up. I like these the most.

This is the picadilly theate and the interior is still semi golden era

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dct66/93477932/

Professor

A-List Customer
San Francisco Fox

JennyLou said:
I've been dying to see a movie at the El Capitan in LA, especially the Wurlitzer Organ that was originally in the Fox Theater in San Francisco and relocated to the Capitan.

img_2476.jpg

Theatre design reached its zenith when San Francisco's populace witnessed the unveiling of their latest movie palace, The Fox Theatre on June 28, 1929. Located on the block bounded by Market, Hayes and Polks Streets, the Fox was built for the enjoyment of thousands and was never rivaled in its grace, elegance and outright lavishness. In the years since, no cinematic mansion seems to have created or retained as much interest...even when it no longer existed!

The Fox, designed by noted Eastern architect Thomas W. Lamb, was part of a massive expansion campaign by film mogul William Fox that included sister houses in Detroit, St. Louis, Brooklyn and Atlanta. Excavation for the foundations started in Fall 1927, and 21 months later, the Fox was finished. The cost of the building, furnishings and other equipment was nearly $3,000,000. Although originally designed to include a 1,000-room luxury hotel above and around the theatre, the depression forced abanbonment of this plan.

img_2473.jpg

Publicity for the opening celebration began a month in advance of the inaugural day. Local newspapers carried advertisements and news stories extolling the luxuries, services, shows and grand opening event awaiting the citizens of San Francisco, and in fact, the entire state of California. On opening night dozens of Hollywood stars, including Lon Chaney, Gary Cooper, Joan Crawford, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton, Mary Pickford and Will Rogers as well as various studio, local and state dignitaries joined the festivities. Newspapers reported the premier with banner headlines, exclaiming "Massed Thousands at Gala Opening of New Playhouse"..."Crowds Deluge Film Palace--Break Cables in Enthusiastic Stampede"..."New $5,000,000 Fox Theatre Opens in Dazzle of Color, Lights, Music, Beauty"..."50,000 Storm Fox S.F. Opening".

The opening gala set the pattern for weekly entertainment--a first run feature film; Walt Roesner conducting the Fox Grand Concert Orchestra of approximately 40 musicians; the Mighty Wurlitzer theatre organ; a vocal chorus; live stage entertainment including a line of chorus girls produced by brother-sister team Fanchon & Marco; plus the usual comedies, short features and newsreels.

img_2480.jpg

For many, the theatre itself was just a part of the billing. Starting with a towering 100-foot-high entrance, the Fox's French Louis style featured sculpted columns, urns and arched window. The vertical sign spelling out "Fox" and decorative bronze marquee promoting the latest show was just an indicator of pleasures to come inside. From the outer lobby, with it's lofty ceiling, gilt and wood finished plaster, one entered the breathtaking Grand Lobby through a second set of bronze doors. The warmth and elegance were unlike anything in all California.

Its architectural wonders made the Fox famous the world over, but alas, you need patrons to pay the bills. Faced with poor business conditions during the 1930's depression and the financial woes of Mogul William Fox, the operating subsidiary, Fox West Coast Theatres, was forced to close the theatre in September, 1932. It reopended April 1, 1933, operated by William Fox, but still it floundered. Several years later its management returned to Fox West Coast Theatres, although Mr. Fox was no longer connected with the firm.

As America pulled itself out of the 1930's doldrums, prosperity returned. The conditions during World War II increased attendance during the 1940's, proving once again the Fox could be profitable. Later, with a changing motion picture industry in the post-war period and the introduction of television, movie-going habits changed and the theatres suffered terribly. By the late 1950's, like many brethren across America--from small neighborhood theatres to downtown palaces--economic conditions had become unfavorable to the continuing operations of the Fox Theatre, sealing its fate.

img_2477.jpg

Public outcry arose when its impending closure and demolition were announced by management in 1960. Under pressure from advocates, a proposal was made by the owners, National General Corporation, which would have allowed the city to purchase the structure and land for use as a performing arts center for $1,050,00. This plan, placed on municipal vote ballot, failed to receive enough votes to persuade city fathers to make the purchase, due to local political conflicts and a failure to understand the Fox's potential importance to the city's live-entertainment venues. However, in the years since, the need and viability of historic movie palaces making the transition to performing arts centers was proven across America.

Closure finally happened on February 16, 1963, with a gala party echoing the inaugural of 1929. Movie stars and other luminaries attended the teary-eyed event marking the end of an era. During its 34-year history, box office receipts totalled $32,000,000 from an estimated 45 to 60 million admissions. Patrons enjoyed 215 weeks of stage shows and over 2,200 feature films at the Fox.

For souviner collectors, the furninshings, draperies, plaster, railings--anything that could be removed--were for sale. Wreckers started shortly thereafter leaving a barren hole by Fall 1963. Today, Fox Plaza, a 29-story office edifice and apartment complex stands on the site.

img_2482.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/roTPtB30d0A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/roTPtB30d0A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t8o90jvKRec&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t8o90jvKRec&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Today, the Fox's Mighty Wurlitzer plays in Hollywood's El Capitan Theatre.

img_2908.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xcnx9ydXEBw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xcnx9ydXEBw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The Stanford Theater in Palo Alto, CA

David Packard decided to buy and restore The Stanford Theater in 1987, based on the success of his Fred Astaire Film Festival. Now over 20 years later, it is still going strong exclusively showing movies from the 1920s through the early 1960s. The Mighty Wurlitzer plays between shows, and when they have silent films. The most recent silent we all saw there was "The Wind" with Lillian Gish.

I've been going there since that first festival in '87. They ran Fred and Ginger movies all day long on the weekend. Mr. Packard was standing in the lobby during the breaks between features looking at all the people that were there. When saw him in the lobby between features, I told him how wonderful it was that he was showing these films, he looked around the packed lobby and said "and they said no one would come..."

auditorium.jpg

Next door they have added a gallery annex, with long cases with original film paper ephemera, and original large film posters on the walls. Here's myself and my husband in the gallery annex among original Fred and Ginger posters.
362040827.jpg

DannyBoy

New in Town
chanteuseCarey said:
David Packard decided to buy and restore The Stanford Theater in 1987, based on the success of his Fred Astaire Film Festival. Now over 20 years later, it is still going strong exclusively showing movies from the 1920s through the early 1960s. The Mighty Wurlitzer plays between shows, and when they have silent films. The most recent silent we all saw there was "The Wind" with Lillian Gish.

I've been going there since that first festival in '87. They ran Fred and Ginger movies all day long on the weekend. Mr. Packard was standing in the lobby during the breaks between features looking at all the people that were there. When saw him in the lobby between features, I told him how wonderful it was that he was showing these films, he looked around the packed lobby and said "and they said no one would come..."

Next door they have added a gallery annex, with long cases with original film paper ephemera, and original large film posters on the walls. Here's myself and my husband in the gallery annex among original Fred and Ginger posters.
Wow, I never knew that David Packard had owned the Stanford. Kind of ironic, one of Silicon Valley's most famous technological innovators owned a 1925 movie theater, I guess high-tech and the past can coexist!
I love going to the Stanford, and it's great since it's only about 15 minutes away from my house. Can't beat seven bucks for two movies and listening to the Wurlitzer during intermissions. Parking on the street can be a mess sometimes though, but there's a nice parking garage on Bryant St. that usually has plenty of room. Plus they're playing "Double Indemnity" on my birthday next month - totally gonna be there for that :D . Hopefully I'll be able to get out there more often since school gets out this week...speaking of which I have two essays to finish, and two finals to study for (ironically one being for my film noir class :eusa_doh:)...I spend way too much time surfing on here, I'm blaming FL if I get a bad grade lol .

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The Stanford Theatre is about 1-hour (including the time hunting for a parking space) away from where I live, but I've got at least 5 movies circled in the current schedule that I plan on seeing next month.

It's actually owned by The Stanford Theatre Foundation, of which David Packard is the Chairman/President, and other Packards, Hewletts and various film lovers are also on the board. It's a fabulous place and David Packard's love of classic films is obvious. The Foundation also serves as an archive for historic films of the Silent era and has more than 1,000 films, some of which can't be found anywhere else. In addition, the Foundation has a film preservation lab in Hollywood and works with UCLA Film and Television Archive to support film preservation and restoration of films that are in danger of being lost forever to decomposition or which were produced on nitrate film stock.

When my local theatre has "classic film night" and shows movies like Sixteen Candles, it only makes me love The Stanford even more.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's under renovation (it will be a space for the performing arts and show movies, too), so I didn't get to see the interior, but I love the marquee for this theatre I came upon in North Adams, Mass., over the weekend.

mohawktheatre.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
And from someone who is REALLY enthusiastic -

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2009/07/26/aaron_kemp_grew_up_in_a_real_movie_house/

Aaron Kemp spent 12 years building his basement theater and adding period details. He recently began dismantling the Art Deco palace after his parents sold the home, and he will put the pieces (below) in storage “until they can rise from the ashes,’’ he says.
539w.jpg

Almost an echo of the period private theaters, like something out of a Spillane novel.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Posted: Saturday, 13 February 2010 8:17AM

S. Jersey Developer Looks to Reopen Woodbury Theater

by KYW’s David Madden

A South Jersey developer has an idea that he believes will jump start the town of Woodbury --bring the old downtown theater back.

Brian Wolfson looks at similar projects in Millville and Vineland and says, why not Woodbury? So he’s hoping to buy the G.G. Green building on Broad Street, which dates back to the late 19th Century; the last occupant was a clothing store and turned it back into the theatre it once was with an adjoining restaurant and ballroom:

“This project, in terms of the theater, is expected to sell 100,000 tickets in the course of a year. Once people are coming, see it as a destination, we think the next logical step is people living downtown.”

And, as you might guess, he’s got plans to build condos there, too. The big challenge to the theater project is coming up with the over $10 million to pull it off.

Wolfson says interest among the locals is growing so if he can get investors to jump on board the first shows could be playing in Woodbury as soon as the summer of next year.

For more information go to www.gggreenproject.com.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
How I'd love to get into the projection booth at the Orpheum. *Sigh*.

Has anyone here ever been to the Fox Arlington in Santa Barbara? When I lived there in the early '80s it had just been restored, and I got to see a four-hour presentation of Abel Gance's "Napoleon" there, with live orchestral accompaniment -- it remains the most memorable movie experience of my life. A truly gorgeous theatre, with a Spanish mission garden theme...

arlington_overview_edt.jpg

Ah, Napoleon! I have fond memories of seeing the road show (with full live orchestra) at the Colony Theater in Shaker Square, in Cleveland.

The lovely old Colony has long since been broken up into an octoplex.

bccanyon

New in Town
How about Chicago?

I am new to the Fedora Lounge so please forgive me if I am not posting correctly.

I just want to give some props to the city of CHICAGO for keeping the historic movie palaces alive and well.

The Chicago, Uptown, Auditorium, Oriental, etc... So many to choose from in this great city.

The Uptown is being rennovated to it's original glory days. I watched a Chaplin film while listening to a refurbished Wurlitzer Organ at the Portage Theatre in the Portage Park neighborhood. The Portage is home to the Chicago Silent Film Society.

SO many movie palaces.... so little time.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Okemah, Oklahoma, is a small town some 73 miles east of Oklahoma City. Okemah was Woody Guthrie's home town, and it's where my mother grew up. There's an elementary school there named after me grandfather. My siblings and I spent many happy days there in our youth.

It could be argued that Okemah is less thriving today than it once was, but it has always had one thing going for it, in my eyes: The local movie theatre was still in operation, which is not the case in so many small towns across the country today.

The Crystal, which opened in 1910 and was refashioned into an atmospheric theatre in the early 1920s, isn't really a palace, per se, and it's not showing movies nowadays, but a local group is trying to restore the theatre, which still hosts live events, such as the annual Woody Guthrie Festival.

One hopes that, if the theatre does get fully restored, they'll start screening moving pictures there again.

You probably have never passed through Okemah. Perhaps you never will. But if you're a fan of old movie theatres, as I am, you might wish to donate even a few dollars toward the cause of preserving this venerable bijou.

You can visit the "Save the Crystal" page at Facebook and donate via Paypal right on the spot.

I'm guessing even a five-spot or whatever else you can spare would be greatly appreciated.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="350" height="284"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kHSfyewSLlQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kHSfyewSLlQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="350" height="284"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto