Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historical Hats & Reenacting History

Send some pics if you get the opportunity.
I wasn't able to take any since I was one of the presenters. There were plenty of pictures & some video taken. I'll see if I can get a few from some friends.

The photography really brings out the pattern of that shirt. I'd like to see a color photo as well.
Thanks Bob. It's one of those oldtime flowersack or feedsack print shirts made by Wah Maker. I have a couple of them.

IMG_1216.jpg

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
Went to a Cowboy shoot last weekend, the first one in a few years. Tried out the new Stetson Austral and despite the 90F temp, the faux leather sweatband wasn't bad at all. Will probably change that out at some point.

I've had these Buffalo Runner boots with the mule ears for many years and they're not a very comfortable boot for me, but I tried some new Ariat boot socks and they did feel better. Probably would be a comfy boot in the saddle; not so much with walking and standing around though.

8d86e008-ade0-478a-9b42-70a7909a3199.jpg

Just read a biography on Jesse James about a month or so ago, went into some detail about the guerrillas he rode with.
When the war was over it was required that Quantrill's men officially surrender at Lexington. No one knows for sure but based on what happened plans where probably to kill some & arrest others. Rather than surrender Quantrill & a few men including Frank James left for the SE where Quantrill was killed in KY. Some of his other men immediately left for TX where they used to winter over, never to return or surrender. Those wanting to surrender & be done with it thought it would be safer for each to ride in alone instead of together. Jesse was shot off his horse while riding in. He managed to make it down along the river where he hid out until after dark, when someone came across by boat & helped him escape. He never officially surrendered.

Archie Clement went home to Lexington without surrendering. Things were very uneasy for a couple of months. Two or three men finally decided to arrest him, probably hoping to kill him in the process. They saw him go into a Saloon one afternoon & waited until he might be good & drunk before they went in to get him. Several men died that day including Clement. Lots more to the story but I'll leave it there.

In "Ride With the Devil" it's a nod to Archie Clement & history during the scene of the final confrontation between Roedel & Holt vs Pitt Mackeson & Turner when Mackeson is caught empty handed, backs down & twirls his cup on his finger & says he is going to ride right into his hometown of "Newport" & have himself a drink.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Archie Clement went home to Lexington without surrendering. Things were very uneasy for a couple of months. Two or three men finally decided to arrest him, probably hoping to kill him in the process. They saw him go into a Saloon one afternoon & waited until he might be good & drunk before they went in to get him. Several men died that day including Clement. Lots more to the story but I'll leave it there.
No, don't leave it there! What happened?

No, don't leave it there! What happened?
In the Saloon with Clement was another former guerrilla named Hicks or Hicklin who survived the shootout, so we have his account of the events. Dave Poole had just left. The two or three men who came inside to make the arrest were part of a militia that was sent to do the job. They had primed up their courage with some drinking of their own. The witness account of Hicks (Hicklin) said that Clement & he saw the men enter the Saloon in the mirror. By the time Clement & Hicks turned & drew they were already being fired upon. Whether it was 2 men orthree men (accounts vary) 1 man died instantly & 1 died sometime later, or 2 died instantly & 1 died later. Clement & Hicks made for their horses outside where the rest of the Militia were waiting to ambush & kill Clement. Hicks was able to make his getaway safely. Hicks was very young & may not have been one of the Guerrillas they were looking to execute, so he may have been allowed to ride away.

It was common to decapitate your famous enemies & parade around with their head on a pole like had been done to Bill Anderson when he was killed across the river at Richmond. As soon as Clement's family & friends learned of his death they fetched his body as fast as they could. They took him to the next little town along the river & buried him before dark in case the militia came looking for his remains. It is said his family dug him up & moved his body at least 2 more times in the coming wks & were mum on where they had buried him each time. There are differing stories told among his descendants today as to where he actually ended up once things settled down & it was safe to leave him interred.

Fascinating, thanks HJ! I love true stories of that era. You just can't make up fiction that is better than the reality.
When Jim & John Younger were in the shootout with the Pinkerton's some yrs later & John was killed the local men from town took turns sitting up all night with his body so the Pinkerton's could not claim it, & until Cole could get there. Jim Younger had to flee for his own good. John was then buried in a black cemetery until the Pinkerton's had left the area. His remains were then dug up & brought back to Lee's Summit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana