Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holiday Clothng

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Ok,

I'm at a job which allows significant amounts of time off. I probably go on about 4-8 overnight trips a year, but sometimes it involves going to posh hotels on the West Coast.

You know, I don't really have "holiday" clothing. For me, it's senseless to buy something for one use, and that use being to hang out at a resort, see a city or have tea with my brother. It simply doesn't make sense to buy a new suit just because my destination is warmer or cooler. I have clothing already to fit every situation, and I could simply pack clothing from my summer boxes and use them during a spring trip.

Saying that, do you have a few pieces which only get taken out just for holidays? Not talking Christmas or Easter, I'm referring to being a tourist. For me, I know I wear my good Panama on the West Coast, and have certain shirts which I use only for travel. Is this something you do?

C.

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
Maybe several black suits, with fresh white shirts, and black ties methodically packed in shrink wrap, stowed in the trunk of your Audi A8, such as the Transporter. It works for Frank Martin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
I certainly have some bits that see more use when travelling than others, but nothing that I keep exclusively for travel. Have been considering a leather waistcoat or kutte, though, as an easy jacket alternative for getting thourgh airports in warmer climates during travel season...

Eamonsieur

New in Town
Here in Singapore, where it's perpetually 90 degrees Fahrenheit with 90% humidity on average, I have a winter coat that I only wear when I fly to Edmonton to visit my sister during the winter. It's an old Brooks Brothers wool topcoat that I bought while I was there. Very warm, very stylish, but alas not something suitable for the tropics.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting topic. Since 2006, I've spent around four weeks a year in Beijing across various trips during April- June. I do have a fair few bits and pieces of clothing that I have bought in order to wear out there, but it all inevitably gets worn in the UK as well, what with London getting as punishingly hot in the Summer as Beijing. I think the only thing I have which *never* gets used anywhere else is a specific wallet that I keep for my Chinese currency.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I certainly have some bits that see more use when travelling than others, but nothing that I keep exclusively for travel. Have been considering a leather waistcoat or kutte, though, as an easy jacket alternative for getting thourgh airports in warmer climates during travel season...

I bought a leather waistcoat not so long ago, it is so useful in warmer and cooler climates and as you say, it is handy when going through airports too.

Edward

Bartender
I bought a leather waistcoat not so long ago, it is so useful in warmer and cooler climates and as you say, it is handy when going through airports too.

Absolutely. In due course I'm going to get myself an Aero Shackleton, but I've got to shift some weight first, as I want it to cut and hang like a waistcoat, not a jerkin. Don't want to buy now then have it be far too big when I lose the target six inches round the middle, as I think that might be just too much of a drastic change. That'll be in a nice brown.... Other than that, though, I am tempted by something in black as well. There's a practical argument for something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Hu..._21?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1517829365&sr=1-21 - only thing is, it's ugly as sin! I'd probably consider one or the other of these:

https://www.skintanleather.co.uk/leather-motorbike-waistcoat-bobby-159-p.asp

or

https://www.skintanleather.co.uk/cut-off-leather-waistcoat--trucker-68-p.asp

Both have their plus points. The latter in particular has two really good inside pockets, which would be a plus.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Absolutely. In due course I'm going to get myself an Aero Shackleton, but I've got to shift some weight first, as I want it to cut and hang like a waistcoat, not a jerkin. Don't want to buy now then have it be far too big when I lose the target six inches round the middle, as I think that might be just too much of a drastic change. That'll be in a nice brown.... Other than that, though, I am tempted by something in black as well. There's a practical argument for something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Hu..._21?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1517829365&sr=1-21 - only thing is, it's ugly as sin! I'd probably consider one or the other of these:

https://www.skintanleather.co.uk/leather-motorbike-waistcoat-bobby-159-p.asp

or

https://www.skintanleather.co.uk/cut-off-leather-waistcoat--trucker-68-p.asp

Both have their plus points. The latter in particular has two really good inside pockets, which would be a plus.

I Bought my Leather Waistcoat from JTS based in Leicester. I just looked at these links and quite fancy the cut off jacket and the Marlon Biker Jacket too. Temptation!!!!

Edward

Bartender
I Bought my Leather Waistcoat from JTS based in Leicester. I just looked at these links and quite fancy the cut off jacket and the Marlon Biker Jacket too. Temptation!!!!

I've yet to handle it in person, but the Skintan stuff seems to get pretty solid reviews. Certainly if I was looking for a budget Brando style and not worried about armouring, I think it would be worth considering. Altohugh I don't think it's something I can fully imagine myself wearing (too heavy, for one thing, for what I'm after), their sleeveless Brando has a pretty cool look.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I've yet to handle it in person, but the Skintan stuff seems to get pretty solid reviews. Certainly if I was looking for a budget Brando style and not worried about armouring, I think it would be worth considering. Altohugh I don't think it's something I can fully imagine myself wearing (too heavy, for one thing, for what I'm after), their sleeveless Brando has a pretty cool look.

Yes, I would agree with you there. I do have a Brando Biker Jacket that I bought some years ago, it always was a tight fit around my middle, but in recent years it seems to have shrunk with age!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ