Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Does anyone have information on the "Hollywood" jackets. I keep seeing these on ebay and want to know what the deal is.

is0sz.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some may disagree with me, but that isn't a Hollywood jacket. It's a Pendleton, and while it may have the same shape and patch pocket style as a Hollywood, it's not. Ebay sellers are using it as a "buzz word"!
My 2cents,
flat-top

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yup, two-tone, gabardine (more buzz words!). I have several. Not cheap at all, and something you really won't find in a thrift shop. The real ones on Ebay go for lots of $$ usually.
flat-top

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I agree- these Pendletons, which have been made for decades are not the vintage exotica that 'Hollywood' jackets are. I think of plaid and plain wools combined in the garment as panels, fronts, sleeves, collars, pockets and backs or perhaps 2-tone or mixed fabrics- although there are 'plain' Hollywood jackets too but they usually have some detailing to them that make them special- there were plain and 2-tone rayon versions too.
I have the Howard Hughes impression of a Hollywood jacket firmly implanted in my understanding of the word- but not necessesarily so.

A Hollywood is a more casual Sport Coat but perhaps a tad longer and perhaps less fitted and often with more of a shirt-style collar and 3 or even 4 button front.

The Pendleton jackets are more 'Country' than 'Town' and I guess a Hollywood should definitely be more Town than Country-

B
T

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The typical "Hollywood" jacket is a gabardinne affair either one color or contrasting gabardine body with wool sleeves/back second color/pattern. They tended to have large spread collars to almost be worn like a shirt jacket. They also tended to feature well paded shoulders & often came either belted or unbelted. They were also known as "Loafer" jackets & were very popular in the late 1940's into the very early 1950's. Peter ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
I give you, Hollywood!

catphoto.jpg

This is a fine example of a "Hollywood" coat/jacket. This was a sporty styled coat that was popular in the late 40's and into the mid 50's. This example would have had a contrasting pair of pants that would have matched the dark yoke. Also, I believe it's missing the belt that would tie in the front. These coats used to be inexpensive up till the late 1990's. They now go for $400+ if you can find one in a large size. I have seen some movies from the late 30's and have seen some men wear these coats but, were single color made of a stiffer fabric designed for camping. They also came with no pleats or two tones. The majority I find here and there are single color with a belt. They were made mostly of gabardine and Corduroy.

I have always wanted one of these! I think they look really cool since I dance Hollywood Jitterbug.

This style was also seen occasionally on Desi Arnez on "I Love Lucy".

The first photo is a Pendleton "Car Coat" and not a Hollywood coat. It is surprising to some to see such vivid colors on men's clothes but, they seemed to have used more color back then, then they do today in men's clothes!

Cheers,

=WR=

PS. I like Pendleton coats for casual times. They're warm and are great for kicking around in your non suit moments.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Price Way Too High Vs. Condition

flat top, I've dealt with this Ebay seller before he has had good stuff, however IMHO when you ask this kind of starting price there should be 0% condition issues, no smudges or "minor'" holes, no dice! Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points