Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Stars and their Dogs (PICTORIAL)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Just got the coolest little coffee table picture book from ebay & had to share it with the good folks here at the lounge:

Some made me laugh out loud. Some are the actor's own dog, others are costars. Say, added bonus: these should make some great new screen saver pics! Solid :D

Here are some favorites: (this is a 2-part post, > 10 images...)

temp_hwdogs01.jpg

Cover photo: Edna Purviance, 1918

temp_hwdogs02.jpg

William Powell, 1941

temp_hwdogs03.jpg

Bette Davis, 1930s

temp_hwdogs04.jpg

Dogs in the trenches, 1930s

temp_hwdogs05.jpg

Sally O'Neil w/ un-appreciative dog, 1927

temp_hwdogs06.jpg

Clark Gable, 1931

temp_hwdogs07.jpg

Maureen O'Sullivan, 1933

(cont'd)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Hollywood Stars and their Dogs (PICTORIAL), part 2

temp_hwdogs08.jpg

Humphrey Bogart (w/ Scottish terriers), 1940s

temp_hwdogs09.jpg

William Powell & Myrna Loy, 1936

temp_hwdogs10.jpg

Katharine Hepburn, 1930s

temp_hwdogs11.jpg

George Burns & Gracie Allen, 1934

temp_hwdogs12.jpg

Jean Harlow, 1932

temp_hwdogs13.jpg

William Powell, 1941

And my personal FAVORITE: "I'll take one of each, please!" :D :D
temp_hwdogs14.jpg

Jean Harlow, 1933

So, which pics are your faves? and does anyone else have similar neat vintage pics of folks with their pets to share. Uh-oh, I feel the start of a new collection coming on... lol

Man, I've really been wanting to get another dog lately

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Wow, Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart all had Scotties! (My Scottie is named Bogie.)

I must say Clark Gable looks more handsome without a mustache. My grandmother always said my grandpa looked like Gable, but I could never see it because I always picture Gable with a mustache; but now I can see some resemblance.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I don't really get the concept of dogs, but if I disregard this, I'd say wire fox terriers rule!

Strange for a cat person, but who knows - maybe I like the Thin Man movies just because we had a foxy when I was a child. And maybe I appreciate well fitting suits because I saw the Thin Man movies. (In fact, I did before, but an interesting thought anyway.)

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Cousin Hepcat said:
temp_hwdogs06.jpg

Clark Gable, 1931

Now there's a man and his dog in harmony. I love the way they're looking at each other: it's the most natural-looking shot of the lot.

And yes, as ever the divine Miss Hepburn makes my heart go pit-a-pat.

I've been getting real urges to have a dog again recently. I grew up with them, and am far more a dog person than a cat. Trouble is I just don't have the space here to share with the sort of dog I like (spaniels and labs mainly - bouncy dogs that need plenty of space and exercise). I'm also getting the occasional urge to move out of London, so I think that canine companionship will have to wait until then.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Not exactly a Hollywood star

Here's a picture of a relative of mine with his dog. Pre-WWI, I assume. Great picture, and not even a wire foxy.

ED_with_dog.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Here's a picture of a relative of mine with his dog. Pre-WWI, I assume. Great picture, and not even a wire foxy.

ED_with_dog.jpg

Oh, I love that pic, look at the pup! Gable does look quite dashing in that photo. Good eye ITG, I had to go back and take a look.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
NON-HOLLYWOOD vintage pics are welcome!

Mr. Cohen that's a fine dressed relative and a cute pup there! I _wish_ I could find at the moment the photo album with my grandfather's first wife and her dog :( Will post it later if I find it.

Love the Marion Davies one, Magneto. Added that to my screensaver image rotation- thanks.

Here's a vintage 1940s photo of unknown origin, I just think is incredible: can't figure out exactly why... guess cause it's so dramatic:
temp_dog20.jpg

:eek:fftopic:
P.S. Just cleaned up some webspace & replaced the short MP3 excerpt in my sig of Tommy Dorsey's "Swing High" (1941) with the full piece, so if you ever need a real pick-me-up, just click the signature in any of my posts :)

Swing High,

- Cousin Hepcat

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Those are all great photos. Bogie looks quite menacing in the scotty pic - they even look a bit frightened.
I love the last William Powell picture. Them dachshunds are the funniest canine critters there are, and they can be quite a ball of fire, especially if you have a rubber ball! (And, I may get stoned to death for saying this but Powell's trousers in that pic almost look like sweats!)

By the way, are those trench dogs from a Hal Roach short?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk